The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

So much effortless ability on the ball and sadly often so little created with it.

At times it is due to Jack making the wrong decision but a lot of the time it's because the movement around him is so utterly non existent.

The problem is that Jack doesn't possess the sort of pace required to really scare teams. Without that or movement around him he is largely ineffective most of the time.

I can't quite decide if he isn't actually that good or if we would see a different player were he at another club.

5 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

At times it is due to Jack making the wrong decision but a lot of the time it's because the movement around him is so utterly non existent.

It's this. Both of those things. The decision making will improve with experience, but the attacking forward and midfield play is dreadful. Stodgy, disconnected, rubbish.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Villa Stu said:

I wouldn't say he is over rated I would say he is under performing mate. The main issue is that not enough people show for the ball when he is in possession so he struggles to make too much of an impact. At times through the season when Amavi has been in advanced positions he linked up well with him and at the start of the season he was linking up well with McCormack. With a couple of quality additions to the team I think it will benefit him and make him look twice the player that he has up to this point.

The thing that is lacking from his game though is goals and hopefully that is something that will come sooner rather than later.

I think the potential thing is staying to run thin with me. If you can't turn it on here in championship then I can't see him going to become a great player.

Like I have said before Albrighton was so much better at this stage. Grealish for me like Trent says, makes the wrong decision near enough 8/10. ok it was spurs but I just don't think he is putting the effort in a majority of the time...

He really needs someone to teach him to watch the other players around him in the game, his positional awareness is poor; The top players know what they are going to do with the ball before it comes to them.

Yesterday highlighted his major problems, you simply haven't got time to receive the ball control it then look up for options.

He is so easy on the ball that he wants to run with it at every chance, however this takes so much from his (and villas) game. A simple first time pass is not only devastating it also puts doubts in defenders minds when closing him, which will give him more time.

He is so close to being a good player its frustrating!

Edited by Nigel

31 minutes ago, blandy said:

It's this. Both of those things. The decision making will improve with experience, but the attacking forward and midfield play is dreadful. Stodgy, disconnected, rubbish.

Agreed. I also think the decision making is influenced by the lack of movement, he isn't used to options being there and is starting to not look for them.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Agreed. I also think the decision making is influenced by the lack of movement, he isn't used to options being there and is starting to not look for them.

That works both ways.  If the others know he is not going to look for a quick ball why make the run?

46 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

So much effortless ability on the ball and sadly often so little created with it.

The problem is that Jack doesn't possess the sort of pace required to really scare teams. Without that or movement around him he is largely ineffective most of the time.

I can't quite decide if he isn't actually that good or if we would see a different player were he at another club.

Look at the way he played when he had Delph behind him and Benteke infront. He was the best player on the pitch most games. 

Like you said, he hasn't got the pace to beat players consistently, his game is about being smart and he needs smart players with him. When McCormack came on against Burton, he looked completely different when he knew he had one player on his wave length. 

Now this isn't a total defence of him, his performances have slipped and he does have to start imposing himself more on the game. 

• Like 3

Just now, Nigel said:

That works both ways.  If the others know he is not going to look for a quick ball why make the run?

Yes it does. However given that the movement is atrocious all the time I'm less inclined to think that is the case.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TrentVilla said:

Yes it does. However given that the movement is atrocious all the time I'm less inclined to think that is the case.

The problem is that players will make the run for Jack but they time it for when they think he will look up, thus we get the second delay to a Hutton run down the wing.

10 minutes ago, Nigel said:

The problem is that players will make the run for Jack but they time it for when they think he will look up, thus we get the second delay to a Hutton run down the wing.

Which may mean we miss out on seeing Hutton spoon a cross into the stand/run into someone or just fall over his own feet. :)

I don't disagree with you, it's a valid point I guess I just feel it's less of an issue than the movement.

• Like 1

I suppose you are right too; If there is no one to look for the quick ball why try.

Maybe it is as much the fault of the others not being offensive minded enough.  I suppose after 5 years of turgid defensive football its a hard mindset to get out of.

It may highlight why Jack and McCormack seem to work well together.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nigel said:

It may highlight why Jack and McCormack seem to work well together.

It does, And as @DCJonahpreviously said, when Benteke and Delph were in the team, they linked really well. Put clever players together and they naturally create, er, creative football.

With the current Villa side, other than McCormack, there's no one who is remotely atuned to the kind of inventie interpay that causes any oppponent trouble. And McCormack is not exactly pulling up trees.

It also looks like the coaching concentrates solely on defensive aspects (which to be fair needed looking at) at the expense of any cohesive attacking play. Which to my reading si something that Steve Bruce's sides have always been like. Solid, but stodgy.

Accepting the current squad wasn't his choosing, but still, there needs to be a massive improvement in attacking play if Villa are to be anything other than a tedious mid table side.

I also think that the lack of adventure will lead to player and fan and owner frustrations not too far down the line, if it doesn't change. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, blandy said:

It does, And as @DCJonahpreviously said, when Benteke and Delph were in the team, they linked really well. Put clever players together and they naturally create, er, creative football.

With the current Villa side, other than McCormack, there's no one who is remotely atuned to the kind of inventie interpay that causes any oppponent trouble. And McCormack is not exactly pulling up trees.

It also looks like the coaching concentrates solely on defensive aspects (which to be fair needed looking at) at the expense of any cohesive attacking play. Which to my reading si something that Steve Bruce's sides have always been like. Solid, but stodgy.

Accepting the current squad wasn't his choosing, but still, there needs to be a massive improvement in attacking play if Villa are to be anything other than a tedious mid table side.

I also think that the lack of adventure will lead to player and fan and owner frustrations not too far down the line, if it doesn't change. 

Players like Jedinack are a real spanner to this kind of football. I know hes been great defensivly, but in all reality he is nothing more than another defender. 

Controversial but he needs to be replaced if we are to become anything other than hard to score against!

It would help Jack massively to have other offensive options in midfield.

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I think the potential thing is staying to run thin with me. If you can't turn it on here in championship then I can't see him going to become a great player.

Like I have said before Albrighton was so much better at this stage. Grealish for me like Trent says, makes the wrong decision near enough 8/10. ok it was spurs but I just don't think he is putting the effort in a majority of the time...

I think we will have to agree to disagree. For me he put in a lot of effort but as I've already said he never has any options on because no one shows for the ball. Yes at time he makes the wrong decisions and at times he holds onto it for too long, however I still think it would benefit him and the team if we manage to get a couple of players of his wave length.

To be fair not many of our players have been up to it so far this season so I think it's harsh to single out 1 player when there has been little, if any, consistent players. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, blandy said:

I, too, believe that inventie interpay is key to us climbing further up the table and out-smarting the better sides.  The more Jack and Ross together the better.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Villa Stu said:

I think we will have to agree to disagree. For me he put in a lot of effort but as I've already said he never has any options on because no one shows for the ball. Yes at time he makes the wrong decisions and at times he holds onto it for too long, however I still think it would benefit him and the team if we manage to get a couple of players of his wave length.

To be fair not many of our players have been up to it so far this season so I think it's harsh to single out 1 player when there has been little, if any, consistent players. 

See I think we have some intelligent players, Adomah, McCormack a day Kodjia. You could maybe argue amavi and ayew also. I don't buy the player thing stu. I don't think he has put enough effort in. He gets fouled a lot and when tht starts happening he loses his head abit.

I think he needs to like bruce said just get on with it. For me he hasn't hadded many great gAmes for us this season thus far.

14 minutes ago, BOF said:

inventie interpay

Grrrr. Why I oughta! :rant:

I have a PC with a faulty keyboard, an iPad with a mind of its own and a computer at home that behaves itself. I do currently be on the one with the faulty keyboard.

and I can't type very well 

Asomah  McCormack  Grealish

Kodjia/New CF

or

Adomah        Grealish        Kodjia

A Beast

is the way to go

but we'd need a complete new MF for it to work

3 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

Asomah  McCormack  Grealish

Kodjia/New CF

is the way to go

but we'd need a complete new MF for it to work

We would need a couple of terminators on horses for this to work!

Â