The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

3 hours ago, R.Bear said:

I hear this all the time. Can someone give me some examples of players who didnt get capped because of who they played for? It's a myth. If you're good enough, you'll get picked.

As for Le Tissier, I didnt say anything about his ability. He just would never have made it at a top club. He didnt have the drive or work rate. His legacy is a non existent international career, no European appearances and no winners medals (or even cup finals). A great YouTube package and a legend at Southampton. Whoopee do.

This is why I laugh when people mention "loyalty". Who wouldn't turn down a big move for more money, world class teammates, trophies and fame. Only an idiot or a painfully unambitious coward like Le Tissier. Jack made the right move for him and I don't care how many Villa fans whine about it.

I agree with most of your post, but the bolded part… I think it’s fairly clear that if you play for a big club you have a far better chance of getting caps than if you don’t. Not saying that happened with Le Tiss, but in general. Southgate has almost admitted as much

If you spin it the other way and ask for examples of top 6 club players who don't deserve to be called up but constantly do you'll have a better answer

Southgate himself has already used the word "experience" to demonstrate that he puts an emphasis on those who play CL football 

58 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

If you spin it the other way and ask for examples of top 6 club players who don't deserve to be called up but constantly do you'll have a better answer

Southgate himself has already used the word "experience" to demonstrate that he puts an emphasis on those who play CL football 

Delph I think won 5 caps as a Villa player and nearly 3 times that as a City reserve. Cleverley and Richardson won 22 caps between them because played in Uniteds cup team

Not to mention Jesse Lingard 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Delph I think won 5 caps as a Villa player and nearly 3 times that as a City reserve. Cleverley and Richardson won 22 caps between them because played in Uniteds cup team

Not to mention Jesse Lingard 

John Stones in this squad 

For as long as I can remember England managers have put the assumed quality associated with being a top 6 player ahead of actually playing 

He can then throw out the argument that he wants to keep the band together during a cycle which I can perfectly  understand... Apart from he dropped mings to have a look at 2 new players 5 months before the tournamnet so that would go on his hypocritical pile too

Look, there's a genuine trade-off. From a Villa perspective, it would be much better to go back to the Roy Hodgson days when any old idiot could get 1-2 caps by having a purple patch of a dozen games in the league, and that way Villa players would get capped more reguarly (eg Targett and Konsa would probably have had one or two already), but the flipside is the national team was absolute shite.

Or you can have a better and more cohesive national team, where the players play together more regularly because most of them feature in the same 6 squads, play against CL opponents, and the national team are not particularly subtly encouraging those players who aren't at those clubs to move to them. The flipside of course is that the England set up will then either marginalise our players (as they seem to be doing with Mings) or push in the background for them to be sold (as I suspect was happening with Grealish, and will happen with Ramsey too in time).

16 hours ago, R.Bear said:

I hear this all the time. Can someone give me some examples of players who didnt get capped because of who they played for? It's a myth. If you're good enough, you'll get picked.

As for Le Tissier, I didnt say anything about his ability. He just would never have made it at a top club. He didnt have the drive or work rate. His legacy is a non existent international career, no European appearances and no winners medals (or even cup finals). A great YouTube package and a legend at Southampton. Whoopee do.

This is why I laugh when people mention "loyalty". Who wouldn't turn down a big move for more money, world class teammates, trophies and fame. Only an idiot or a painfully unambitious coward like Le Tissier. Jack made the right move for him and I don't care how many Villa fans whine about it.

You're being extremely harsh on Le Tissier to call him a coward. In those days as he stated he wouldnt have got paid much more at Chelsea or Spurs and he was very happy at Southampton. 

12 minutes ago, PaulC said:

You're being extremely harsh on Le Tissier to call him a coward. In those days as he stated he wouldnt have got paid much more at Chelsea or Spurs and he was very happy at Southampton. 

They also arent the same Chelsea or even Spurs from today. Was only one team was winning trophies regularly in the 90s and was United 

Said he was offered a move to Liverpool but they had declined already 

17 hours ago, R.Bear said:

This is why I laugh when people mention "loyalty". Who wouldn't turn down a big move for more money, world class teammates, trophies and fame. Only an idiot or a painfully unambitious coward like Le Tissier. 

Bit harsh on him. Certainly not a coward. He said he felt responsible for Southampton and would be concerned if he left that they would get relegated. They were basically a one man team. 

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

He said he was on £1,500 a week when Chelsea came in for him. He reckons he would have got £10k/£15k there as he would have been the countries first £10m player. 

2 hours ago, Xela said:

Bit harsh on him. Certainly not a coward. He said he felt responsible for Southampton and would be concerned if he left that they would get relegated. They were basically a one man team. 

He said he was on £1,500 a week when Chelsea came in for him. He reckons he would have got £10k/£15k there as he would have been the countries first £10m player. 

How ridiculous does that sound now?

Le Tissier was on a less than £100k salary.

Bit of an odd career hes having right now. We know how good a player he is, cost £100mil and has just won the premier league.

But equally, he rarely starts games, doesn't appear to be first choice for England or Man City. He's 27 in a couple of months so this is his peak time really for him youd think these next couple of years. Huge season for him coming up.

31 minutes ago, turvontour said:

Bit of an odd career hes having right now. We know how good a player he is, cost £100mil and has just won the premier league.

But equally, he rarely starts games, doesn't appear to be first choice for England or Man City. He's 27 in a couple of months so this is his peak time really for him youd think these next couple of years. Huge season for him coming up.

Cannot be trusted by his national team or club. But still the main talking point. The only one with a personality. But for control freaks like Guardiola and SouthFork thats dangerous.  Oh i am so **** bored by this shit. 

• Like 1

Wonder if Pep and Southgate are so obsessed by stats and percentages that they don't appreciate a wild card. If it's unpredictable, it's benefit can't be statistically calculated so they just want players that do the percentage options every time. 

That, and a player that will defend and cover the wing back.

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Him not starting will be Southgate's undoing

We're a completely different team with him on the pitch 

I just simply can't believe, more is not said about this......Southgate has a blind spot, that is going to cost us dearly.

If he can't see Jack changes games and is a huge creator of chances.....he needs to go.

I have no vested interest anymore, but this is a crime against football to render him as a sub...when the game is clearly crying out for his input.

• Like 1

On 05/06/2022 at 23:54, R.Bear said:

sadly, its hard to argue against it......they are a long time retired, who could turn down that money, never mind the trophies.

Â