The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

17 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Shows how inept he is

He wants an attacking player who can defend, press and chase back

He has an attacking player who pushes the opponents defensive line deeper and stops their full back from attacking... But doesn't see the defensive benefit to it 

could maybe understand it if he didnt start with TWO holding midfielders every single game. We have the players to be the side on the front foot, but he always seems more concerned with what the opponent is doing. Must be the Villa in him still.

So boring to watch, what a funsponge

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Shows how inept he is

He wants an attacking player who can defend, press and chase back

He has an attacking player who pushes the opponents defensive line deeper and stops their full back from attacking... But doesn't see the defensive benefit to it 

No. He just wants attacking players who can defend.

Steve Bruce had more attacking intent and principles than Southgate.

With the talent available he has to be the most gutless cautious manager you've ever seen and its cost us 2 tournaments already.

I despise him.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Whatever he has against Jack it’s totally personal - he’s just finding new ways to undermine of the best players he’s got 

i think thats over thinking it

it is as simple as other attacking players defend better than grealish does

and when you have 7 or 8 other defenders on the pitch that's **** bollocks

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Pundits and ex players :

We've spent the last 20 years complaining about negative managers who never got the best out of our creative and technical players. Negative managers with stubborn rigid philosophies that ostracised match winners and those type of players who win tournaments. Technical bold players who run the game.

Southgate does exactly the same thing.

Pundits and ex players : I sleep.

22 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Exactly. When you play 3 at the back and 2 holding midfielders your 3 attacking players shouldn't have to be defending.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I dont think so. Everytime Grealish has bailed him out he has done something to undermine him. That time he came on played well and Southgate wanted to praise Mount or constant digs at his lack of pressing 

For a supposed players manager he has a petty gripe against one and if wasnt a potential media backlash he wouldn't be in the squad

5 hours ago, Tommo_b said:

Lol that’s more an insult then a compliment. 

Beyond the grealish specific issue, his style of play also hurts those players who he thinks are good at performing that “tactical” role.

mount isn’t a bad player, in fact he’s had a great season (with much better stats than jack) and was motm in a CL game against Madrid. But he hasn’t played well for England in months because Southgate gets him to focus exclusively on the defensive part of the game despite being one of the front three.

Ditto with Saka who you’d think of as one of the PL’s best young attacking talents but does nothing all game for England because he’s set up in a deep block team. It happens to foden as well when set up in this team 

not playing grealish is a particular example of southgate’s negativity but it infects all of the alternatives he does choose to play as well

• Like 1

questioning Grealish's defensive abilities is stupid, because the best sample of his defensive input was at Villa.

At Villa, he had a limited defender (Targett) behind him, who looked like a very good player EXACTLY because Grealish was able to drive forward. 

So I am confident that whoever plays behind Grealish for England (likely Trippier?) will do just fine. 

• Like 3

Grealish isn't good defensively.  You saw what happened in the champions league when he attempted to block a cross. He does track back, but the effectivenss when he gets there is lacking in either quality or effort.

He does help the full back by offering an outlet and suppressing the opposition full back from venturing too far forward, which would be perfect for what England really need, especially so given the use of two CDMs. Sadly, Boregate doesn't have a clue what he's doing.

Grealish hasnt had the best of season so Southgate would have had the perfect excuse to leave him out if he had anything against him. He started what he felt was his strongest team but both Saka and Sterling were useless last night Mount once again under wheming. Grealish changed the game when he came on but I'd be surprised if he starts against Italy

On 05/06/2022 at 23:54, R.Bear said:

I hear this all the time. Can someone give me some examples of players who didnt get capped because of who they played for? It's a myth. If you're good enough, you'll get picked.

As for Le Tissier, I didnt say anything about his ability. He just would never have made it at a top club. He didnt have the drive or work rate. His legacy is a non existent international career, no European appearances and no winners medals (or even cup finals). A great YouTube package and a legend at Southampton. Whoopee do.

This is why I laugh when people mention "loyalty". Who wouldn't turn down a big move for more money, world class teammates, trophies and fame. Only an idiot or a painfully unambitious coward like Le Tissier. Jack made the right move for him and I don't care how many Villa fans whine about it.

I think it is just a case of an outstanding player enjoying a free role in an ordinary team, is not considered suitable for a national team, where he will be expected to play a different role, in various systems.

This would apply to both Le Tissier and Jack.

Le Tissier is entirely his own man and known to be stubborn, and probably not willing or able to play a different role than he was used to.

Jack, in his own words, has described how all the emphasis at City, is on not giving the ball away, which he says has inhibited his game.

Jack has gone from an all-action Roy of the Rovers to a disciplined player capable of playing in a system - he doesn't look so good but is a better fit for the strategy.

At present he seems to have hardly played for England, and yet he has 22 caps, which is halfway towards the number, some legendary England players totted up, over the whole of their career.

Obviously, Southgate's plan against Germany was to look totally shit for 70 minutes, to make them look better when Jack came on later in the game.

His plan seems to have worked perfectly.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

At present he seems to have hardly played for England, and yet he has 22 caps, which is halfway towards the number, some legendary England players totted up, over the whole of their career.

Fun fact - 2021 was the busiest the England national teamn's calendar has ever been, with 19 games in a single year. It was a good time to start racking up some caps!

On 05/06/2022 at 23:54, R.Bear said:

I hear this all the time. Can someone give me some examples of players who didnt get capped because of who they played for? It's a myth. If you're good enough, you'll get picked.

As for Le Tissier, I didnt say anything about his ability. He just would never have made it at a top club. He didnt have the drive or work rate. His legacy is a non existent international career, no European appearances and no winners medals (or even cup finals). A great YouTube package and a legend at Southampton. Whoopee do.

This is why I laugh when people mention "loyalty". Who wouldn't turn down a big move for more money, world class teammates, trophies and fame. Only an idiot or a painfully unambitious coward like Le Tissier. Jack made the right move for him and I don't care how many Villa fans whine about it.

well I reckon in the previous 12 months Villa had won the league and European cup but none went to the 1982 world cup sounds a bit fishy

44 minutes ago, colhint said:

well I reckon in the previous 12 months Villa had won the league and European cup but none went to the 1982 world cup sounds a bit fishy

We're going back 40 years for an example are we? 🤣

Besides, Peter Withe was in the 1982 England World Cup squad.

It's hard I know, but I'd be tempted to sit out of the England squad while Southgate is manager if I was jack, or blag a injury. When Southgate was questioned today about how Grealish changed the game, he said it was Sterling and Kane who provided him with the space to get on the ball. Also, as already said, blamed his defensive qualities for not giving him more game time, saying he needs to improve??? I don't see Sterling defend much, an he is most of the time, first name on the team sheet with Kane.

Edited by foreveryoung

15 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

It's hard I know, but I'd be tempted to sit out of the England squad while Southgate is manager if I was jack, or blag a injury. When Southgate was questioned today about how Grealish changed the game, he said it was Sterling and Kane who provided him with the space to get on the ball. Also, as already said, blamed his defensive qualities for not giving him more game time, saying he needs to improve??? I don't see Sterling defend much, an he is most of the time, first name on the team sheet with Kane.

It’s really quite odd to see such poor management on show in public. In any field of work, why on earth would you continually try to put down your best performer? 

He can’t give Jack any credit at all can he, he said it was down to Bowen too (and Sterling and Kane as you mentioned).

I just find it bizarre that it’s not being called out more by pundits and such, it’s really poor treatment. 

• Like 2

Â