The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

13 hours ago, The_Steve said:

I still don’t get what’s he on about 

Coming from the guy with zero credentials, just a pure FA yes man but apparently the way Pep's Man City play is akin to Southgate's England. 

The Guy literally thinks he's a football guru. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, KAZZAM said:

Coming from the guy with zero credentials, just a pure FA yes man but apparently the way Pep's Man City play is akin to Southgate's England. 

The Guy literally thinks he's a football guru. 

He makes Sherwood sound modest. Harry Kane didn't go to the halfway line until I told him and Phil Foden I made him a star

6 hours ago, Zatman said:

He makes Sherwood sound modest. Harry Kane didn't go to the halfway line until I told him and Phil Foden I made him a star

"did you see that tackle Harry Kane made in the right back position? Me that was" 

Just don't ask why kane was dropping in to the right back position or where one of the actual 17 right backs were 

Just wondering which England manager would have got the best out of Grealish?

My guess is Robson or Venables. Two great man managers who knew that talented attackers are best left to do their thing. Hoddle would have also had a lot of time for Grealish, but not sure his system would have suited him.

IMO international football still favours that type of manager over the "system" guys who need a lot more time to drill their squad to deliver results. And Southgate is deluded anyway if he thinks he's got the credentials to be that system-oriented kind of coach.

1 hour ago, KentVillan said:

Just wondering which England manager would have got the best out of Grealish?

My guess is Robson or Venables. Two great man managers who knew that talented attackers are best left to do their thing. Hoddle would have also had a lot of time for Grealish, but not sure his system would have suited him.

IMO international football still favours that type of manager over the "system" guys who need a lot more time to drill their squad to deliver results. And Southgate is deluded anyway if he thinks he's got the credentials to be that system-oriented kind of coach.

The Le Tissier stories about Hoddle would indicate he wouldnt have appreciated Grealish either

12 minutes ago, Zatman said:

The Le Tissier stories about Hoddle would indicate he wouldnt have appreciated Grealish either

I've never been a big fan of the Le Tiss / Grealish comparisons. Le Tiss was a lazy word removed (and still is by the looks of things) who never challenged himself, and despite his natural gifts was happy being a MOTD highlights reel player for a mediocre side. Grealish is a bit dumb and not the best defensively, but he's not lazy at all. He puts in some big shifts, and if you put him in the right setup he'll be looking for the ball constantly.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, KentVillan said:

I've never been a big fan of the Le Tiss / Grealish comparisons. Le Tiss was a lazy word removed (and still is by the looks of things) who never challenged himself, and despite his natural gifts was happy being a MOTD highlights reel player for a mediocre side. Grealish is a bit dumb and not the best defensively, but he's not lazy at all. He puts in some big shifts, and if you put him in the right setup he'll be looking for the ball constantly.

The interview was pretty much saying that Hoddle didnt really like flair players that were compared to him and wouldnt bring Gazza and Le Tissier to the World Cup but instead brought along some workmenlike players to the World Cup squad instead

I think same would have happened with Grealish

40 minutes ago, Zatman said:

The interview was pretty much saying that Hoddle didnt really like flair players that were compared to him and wouldnt bring Gazza and Le Tissier to the World Cup but instead brought along some workmenlike players to the World Cup squad instead

I think same would have happened with Grealish

Yeah I think that's all bitter horse shit from Le Tissier, who as we now know with all his Covid / Putin ramblings is a narcissistic conspiracy theorist.

Hoddle was fine with flair players if they were fit and worked hard (he picked Merson for WC98). He probably should have picked Gazza, but it's not like Gazza was setting the world alight at that point. He'd just had his worst season at Rangers, was deep into his alcoholism, and his career nosedived after 1998. It's tragic, but Hoddle's decision was understandable.

I'm on Carlton Palmer's side in the whole Le Tissier debate. He was a lazy, selfish player who didn't fulfil his potential. It wasn't just Hoddle who didn't pick him for England.

I think Grealish, for all his faults, is a much more professional footballer, and doesn't attract the same criticism from workmanlike teammates who have less ability.

Yes he goes out a bit too much, and yes he's a bit of a div. But he works hard on his fitness, and he gets how important workrate is to footballing performance. His issues are more related to tactical understanding and defensive ability. I'm sure he'd have had a chance in a Hoddle setup.

But as I said, Robson and Venables are the managers who would have really given him a proper chance to shine. He needs to feel loved. He's much more like Gazza than Le Tissier.

10 hours ago, KentVillan said:

The Le Tissier interview on Under the Cosh is very good. 95% of it was about his career and not about his views, which he only touches on towards the end. He speaks very well about his career, but doesn't speak very highly of Hoddle at all, despite him being his idol as a child. It's not just bitterness from Le Tissier, as Steve Howey said on his interview that Hoddle was weird. Eileen Drewery pretty much picked the world cup squad in 98. 

He never left Southampton because he was happy there. I don't see an issue with that. He had a chance to increase his salary tenfold by joining Chelsea but didn't want to. Loyalty like that is hard to find. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Xela said:

The Le Tissier interview on Under the Cosh is very good. 95% of it was about his career and not about his views, which he only touches on towards the end. He speaks very well about his career, but doesn't speak very highly of Hoddle at all, despite him being his idol as a child. It's not just bitterness from Le Tissier, as Steve Howey said on his interview that Hoddle was weird. Eileen Drewery pretty much picked the world cup squad in 98. 

He never left Southampton because he was happy there. I don't see an issue with that. He had a chance to increase his salary tenfold by joining Chelsea but didn't want to. Loyalty like that is hard to find. 

Sure, but he openly admits to not being a good trainer. I guess the truth is somewhere in the middle.

He’s probably right that in the modern era coaches would have done fitness drills with the ball, and he would have enjoyed it a lot more. So perhaps he was just let down a bit by the system.

I would love to see Grealish under a less controlling manager, anyway. Maybe someone like Ancelotti. Even when he comes good under Pep I think some of the magic will have gone.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Xela said:

Was a really good interview and even the bits he talks about his personal opinions he is not trying to force them down peoples throats as well compared to others in the media

I hadnt heard him speak since his controversy started but I think he came across well. He even admitted he might actually be wrong about it :D 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Zatman said:

Was a really good interview and even the bits he talks about his personal opinions he is not trying to force them down peoples throats as well compared to others in the media

I hadnt heard him speak since his controversy started but I think he came across well. He even admitted he might actually be wrong about it :D 

What happened, I remember he was binned by SKY, was there a specific reason?

9 hours ago, Xela said:

Do people still buy this? The reason Le Tissier didnt join a bigger club wasnt because of loyalty. It was because if he played for a big club he wouldnt get away with being lazy and out of shape. There would be expectations and he would be expected to perform week in week out against the best and in Europe. He took the easy option of being first name of the teamsheet no matter what and being worshipped by Soton's fans. Le Tissier for a big club would have been like he was for England, rubbish and ineffectual.

Plus he is a total gobshite with twisted views and anything he says to backtrack on them is just to obtain media work. There's a reason Southampton are distancing themselves from him.

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

Do people still buy this? The reason Le Tissier didnt join a bigger club wasnt because of loyalty. It was because if he played for a big club he wouldnt get away with being lazy and out of shape. There would be expectations and he would be expected to perform week in week out against the best and in Europe. He took the easy option of being first name of the teamsheet no matter what and being worshipped by Soton's fans. Le Tissier for a big club would have been like he was for England, rubbish and ineffectual.

Plus he is a total gobshite with twisted views and anything he says to backtrack on them is just to obtain media work. There's a reason Southampton are distancing themselves from him.

Have you watched the interview? 

Le Tissier at his peak would have graced any club in the premier league. 45 goals in 64 games for Alan Ball when he was manager at Southampton, and he wasn't even a striker. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

What happened, I remember he was binned by SKY, was there a specific reason?

Not sure was at the same time Sky let him go but recently he made a lot of anti vax/covid comments. Had a go at Lineker etc for the media agenda against him

In the interview he actually comes across ok and not a typical anti vax/covid nutter

• Like 1

2 hours ago, R.Bear said:

Mm he hasn't backtracked his opinions at all

As for his ability thats rubbish. Maybe watch the interview when he talks about his England career, 2 starts in 5 years and one was abandoned from English fans thuggery

Funny enough the non top 6 bullshit international caps crap is why Grealish probably left

8 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Funny enough the non top 6 bullshit international caps crap is why Grealish probably left

I hear this all the time. Can someone give me some examples of players who didnt get capped because of who they played for? It's a myth. If you're good enough, you'll get picked.

As for Le Tissier, I didnt say anything about his ability. He just would never have made it at a top club. He didnt have the drive or work rate. His legacy is a non existent international career, no European appearances and no winners medals (or even cup finals). A great YouTube package and a legend at Southampton. Whoopee do.

This is why I laugh when people mention "loyalty". Who wouldn't turn down a big move for more money, world class teammates, trophies and fame. Only an idiot or a painfully unambitious coward like Le Tissier. Jack made the right move for him and I don't care how many Villa fans whine about it.

• Like 1

Â