The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

The massive difference between us and Samatta followers is that Samatta very obviously was not good enough for the Premier League whereas Grealish is very obviously a hugely capable International footballer for England. 

Moaning about his inclusion or no is not the same thing at all. 

• Like 2

My youngest son just came out with this analogy regarding Southgate and Grealish. It’s like you stop for a beggar who is begging for food and give him a bacon roll but he starts to eat dirt. 

They say our children are the future

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Haha 3

10 minutes ago, sidcow said:

The massive difference between us and Samatta followers is that Samatta very obviously was not good enough for the Premier League whereas Grealish is very obviously a hugely capable International footballer for England. 

Moaning about his inclusion or no is not the same thing at all. 

Completely agree.  For me it's not just about Grealish...if he puts Trippier at left back when we have Chilwell and Shaw who are both quality left backs.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Southgate couldn't pick fruit.

Useless clown.

Southgate couldn't pick his nose......Oh, that wasn't a good analogy, perhaps he could.

Just now, Jas10 said:

He has Mount to do that for him…

I actually rate Mount very highly, despite my beloved Jack.

I will give Southgate a pass on Mount as he would be in my England team too.....but I see Mount and Jack having varying attributes....not the same for me.

• Like 2

I think Sterling has been awful for England bar two or three games. Gets so much hype and never delivers for England. Shouldnt even be in the squad on his form over the last year. But im hardly surprised with Southgates decisions. Jack on the other hand has been the best player on 95% of the pitches he’s graced this season, yet starts on the bench. Lets see how it plays out. Just win England and lets have a performance regardless.

• Like 1

I think we all know Jack will be called upon sooner rather than later. He'll be Southgates get out of jail card. Get behind the team and good luck to Tyrone who according to rumours will be starting! I don't even know how people know the team already which is ridiculous! 

The thing is even if you accept that you can only play 1 of Jack and Foden, then 1 of Rashford, Sterling and Sancho due to their pace, which is a ridiculous stance in the first place, but IF you accept that, surely Sterling should be bottom of that list of 3 to start?! 

I'd also put Jack ahead of Foden as its easy to look good in a City team where you only have to worry about your work on the ball, with no other responsibilities whatsoever, but that's probably my own bias coming through 

Wayne Rooney makes a good case for Jack's selection today in "The Sunday Times

When I came through, people compared me to Paul Gascoigne, but I was a completely different player. Now everyone is saying Phil Foden is the new Gazza because of his haircut — but they are looking at the wrong England player. Jack Grealish is the closest thing I’ve seen to Gazza on a football pitch. He has a lot to do to reach Gazza’s levels but his style of play, the way he takes the ball and runs with it in a way that is so awkward to play against, his sheer confidence on the field — it all reminds me of the legend I watched at Everton, and then trained with when I joined their first-team squad.

For England, I think Harry Kane is the most important player but Grealish is the one who is going to light up the tournament. He has to play. Just like Gazza, his style is suited to the international game, where moments of inspiration often make the difference. If you’re looking for someone to open a team up with a bit of magic then Grealish is the one who can do it for Gareth Southgate’s side. He attracts defenders, draws fouls and wins free kicks in dangerous areas. He creates chances and scores goals too. Foden is a top player, a footballer who — as you see at Manchester City — will link play up, pass and move and can dribble too. But it’s Grealish who commits defenders more, dragging them out of position, which will create space for other players. If I were Southgate, I would play Grealish and Foden. There’s no need to choose between them. I’d get Mason Mount on the pitch too and let those talents play with freedom. The last thing England should do with the attacking players they have — and with Harry Maguire out — is sit back. I think what we’re all hoping for at this tournament is for England to go on the front foot; what you don’t want against Croatia is a negative performance and an attempt to nick a 1-0 win. Because of the personnel at Southgate’s disposal, his side are at their best when taking the game to the opposition.

More in paywalled article

• Like 4

Â