Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

So S1 of The Passage turned out about as expected, not quite as bad as I feared.

They never got the atmosphere right, nor the sense of impending doom. Also focused too much on the wrong parts IMO and left some of the best parts too little focus.

But still, could have been worse.

As expected the whole season was used on the "before" part of the story. Remains to be seen if there will be a S2, reception has been OK-ish.

4 hours ago, sne said:

So S1 of The Passage turned out about as expected, not quite as bad as I feared.

They never got the atmosphere right, nor the sense of impending doom. Also focused too much on the wrong parts IMO and left some of the best parts too little focus.

But still, could have been worse.

As expected the whole season was used on the "before" part of the story. Remains to be seen if there will be a S2, reception has been OK-ish.

I still have to watch this. Loved the books. But it still feels like a really wasted opportunity.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, VILLAMARV said:

The McCann doc had the feel of a crimewatch appeal rather than a documentary to me.

Hide contents

It does a good job of pointing at the issues with the Portuguese Police and to me, seemed to focus a lot on what was done or said by the media. The interview with Malinka was interesting. The bits with Murat confirmed to me that he's a very odd fellow and that he got a big pay out from the high court. Amaral comes off worst out of all of them. The interviews with the witnesses/other guests also interesting but nothing at all from the McCann's or the Tapas 7? So nothing new here then. No mention of Clement Freud at all which, given the circumstances and what we now know of him seemed odd, especially considering they mention the 'Huntley-esque' self-involvement of Murat. Seems strange to completely ignore his reaching out to help while focusing on another. The Scotland Yard e-fits were only shown briefly at the end which considering the active case and all that I'd have thought they'd want to push them. Also, considering the length of the thing it was weird that when they got to something interesting, they kind of glossed over it. The Northern Irish dude saying he'd "written that bit for Gerry" for instance, without going any further into it. The mention of an 'order' from Belgium and so on. The whole sniffer dog bit ended up reiterating that the tests on the blood ended up being inconclusive and that was that then, nothing to see here. No other questions arise or apply then?

The Northern Irish dude is the star of the show though. He comes across as a thoroughly decent human being, which was good from the documentary's point of view because somebody had decided to give Kelvin MacKenzie a fair bit of screen time with which to vomit letters out of his disgusting mouth (Anyone else pick up on the 'beautiful' comment or just me and my utter contempt for the man?)

The Millionaire and his kid and all the P.I. guys all come across as a bunch of clearings in the woods.

For a whodunnit/what happened it just didn't ask any questions or highlight any of the interesting areas of inquiry. As a reply to internet trolls it got a message across. Still seemed a bit managed rather than something inciteful or exposing of any new information. Just ran through why the internet should leave everyone alone really.

All in all disappointing and too long.

Why was Murat summoned back to the resort at 2.00am in the morning from Devon before it was reported that Maddie's was taken.....

I don't think that the parents killed her on the day she was supposed to have been taken, there just isn't enough time for them to have hidden the body. There is a theory that something may have happened before then and there is some possible evidence but it would mean that some other evidence has to be ignored, and that's the problem with trying to prove that the parents are guilty.

The police dogs are provide probably the most compelling evidence that something happened in the apartment.

Agree that the biggest problem is that both parents are thoroughly unlikable.

24 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Watched first three episodes of Love Death and Robots last night.  Thought to myself that this is basically Heavy Metal.

Then I realised that it actually is Heavy Metal.

I watched the first 3 while hungover and it was absolutely mad, I think I liked it!

21 hours ago, mykeyb said:

The police dogs are provide probably the most compelling evidence that something happened in the apartment.

Seems more likely that Maddie had an accident in the apartment and the McCanns panicked and covered it up but that’s only based on the dogs supposedly finding blood behind the sofa and in the car , I’m sure that can be dubunked

the 40 questions the parents refused to answer were interesting , the line of questioning suggested some issues with the child and the parents struggling to cope ... but as those questions weren’t answered it also makes it impossible  to verify .

2 eps into S2 of American Gods and I'm already starting to lose interest.

It's a 500 or whatever pages book and they are stretching it out into a 3 season (so far) series, and it shows.

Will give it a few more weeks but I imagine that'll be it.

On 18/03/2019 at 14:23, rjw63 said:

Same here,. first few were tediously slow. It does improve though, to a point where it's quite interesting.

I'm in this boat too.  Finished it last night and thought it was great but I wasn't sure whether I was going to stick with it 2 or 3 episodes in.

On 21/03/2019 at 10:14, sne said:

2 eps into S2 of American Gods and I'm already starting to lose interest.

It's a 500 or whatever pages book and they are stretching it out into a 3 season (so far) series, and it shows.

Will give it a few more weeks but I imagine that'll be it.

Agreed, the last episode was a classic filler. All flash back and no plot progression. It was sadly very formulaic in the way it did it too, which was disappointing.  That said even Westworld was guilty of the same and I loved that.

• Like 1

Been a thing saved on the Netflix to do list for a while but every time I scanned over it I got as far as "2 FBI agents....." thought 'nah' and watched something else instead.

Didn't realise who directed it until the credits rolled for the first time.

Should have done this sooner.

Mindhunter is excellent. In a really brilliant type of way.

• Like 1

Stepdaughter has been up from London, and suggested True Blood. So I've grabbed it and watched a few.

Rather saucy isn't it? I approve.

• Like 1

Umbrella Academy -

A slow burn but well worth sticking with. Seeing Gerard Way’s name and stamp all over the place made my inner teen emo fan boy just want MCR to get back together! 😥. Show itself was great, Hazel was the VIP of the show for me, loved his story more than anyone else’s. 8/10

Arrested Development Series 5 part 2 -

Not without it’s funny moments but my god it’s a bloody shame what this show has become. I’ll just stick with series 1-3 and pretend the reboot doesn’t exist. Biggest disappointment? No pay off from the George Michael Jr & Maeby storyline. Never thought I’d be sad to not see cousins finally get together. 3/10.

Now onto Van Helsing Series 3, more people need to watch this! It’s very underrated and a lot of fun.

Edited by Ingram85

Â