Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

A tick from me for The Sopranos. I haven’t watched it in about ten years though. There’s a good chance I’d enjoy it differently now, I might pick up on some of the character nuances that missed before as when I first watched it I more interested who was going to killed off next rather than Tony Soprano’s state of mind.

And a big tick for Breaking Bad. Think I may have said on here previously that’s probably my desert island box set. Too many platitudes for that one, so I’ll leave it there.

Not watched The Wire (yet). I hear little criticisms like it takes six or so episodes to get into it, the dialect/dialogue is hard to follow initially and the final season isn’t great and consequently I don’t find myself rushing to watch it. But I’m sure I will get round to it eventually.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NurembergVillan said:

I love mafia movies, I enjoy reading about the mafia, I just feel like I can't be arsed with The Sopranos.

Maybe it's a bit like @sharkyvilla said, where I know there's so much in front of me I'm already apprehensive before I start.

Give Gomorrah a try if you haven't already.

S4 starts on march 29th so 1 season a day and you are ready :D 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Brumerican said:

I love both The Wire and The Sopranos but The Sopranos gets better with every season whilst The Wire gets worse.

I've probably gone through The Sopranos at least 5 times but have never rewatched The Wire.

Band of Brothers pisses on both mind you.

I'm yet to watch The Sopranos but it's on my "To get to" list along with a few other highly rated shows.

I don't agree with The Wire getting worse with every single season. I think it was pretty consistent across the first four seasons with season 5 being the only significant drop. 

9 hours ago, BOF said:

Anyone else watch season 3 of True Detective ...

Hide contents

... and not like the ending?  It just seemed very contrived.  It's like they were giving us the happy ending while attempting to keep it tantalisingly away from Detective Hays.  It was all very 'meh' for me.  Not worth the investment made.  Which is a pity, because the show up to that point was excellent.  Much closer to season 1 than the abortion that was season 2.  I'll give it a 7 out of 10, marked down from a 9 for the ending.

Spoiler

I think Meh is the best way to sum up the conclusion of that season.

Whilst the.look.and atmosphere of the show was spot on, the ending was just being too clever for its own good and marred the whole yarn. 

i actually think I liked season 2 better....

4 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Not watched The Wire (yet). I hear little criticisms like it takes six or so episodes to get into it, the dialect/dialogue is hard to follow initially and the final season isn’t great and consequently I don’t find myself rushing to watch it. But I’m sure I will get round to it eventually.

i think even though you have mcnulty at the start it can be hard to piece it all together, theres not a tony soprano or a walter white, theres not an in your face central focal point, there is a huge cast all having different story arcs and relevance and dipping in and out, it can seem slow and like nothing is happening but then once you know the characters a bit more (and there are several absolutely superb ones) and get what it is its a stone cold stunner

the final series is rushed just to give an ending, what comes before it is good enough to get away with it

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

The first 3 or 4 episodes are literally just introducing the characters, and setting the scene with some foreshadowing. It's very slow, which puts a lot of people off. Especially when everyone raves about how good it is.

If you stick with it, it is definitely worth it

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

I had another swing at The Sopranos last night and I just cannot get into it.  I might just have to consign it to the pile, with The Wire, of classic TV shows that just passed me by.

That’s a real shame. 

Literally the two greatest TV shows of all time. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Brumerican said:

I love both The Wire and The Sopranos but The Sopranos gets better with every season whilst The Wire gets worse.

I've probably gone through The Sopranos at least 5 times but have never rewatched The Wire.

Band of Brothers pisses on both mind you.

Season 4 of the Wire is by far the best season. 

• Like 3

21 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

I had another swing at The Sopranos last night and I just cannot get into it.  I might just have to consign it to the pile, with The Wire, of classic TV shows that just passed me by.

That's where I am at. I watched about 4-5 episodes and I didn't see the hype. Just couldn't get into it. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

I'm another that didn't get into the Sopranos.  I borrowed the first two series on DVD and watched most of them, just never really enjoyed it.  Mad Men is another that I just didn't like.  I find more and more that there are programmes where I think of starting them but if there are too many series I think I'll never be arsed to watch all of them, so don't bother.

joan-harris-mad-men-3.jpg

Whut??? :)

• Like 1

Mad Men is comfortably in my top 5 TV shows of all time.

Superbly written, brilliantly acted, lovely dialogue and the details of that particular period, and its sense of place is second to none.

Edited by Designer1
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

That reminds me actually.  I did watch it with subtitles on.  Not because I needed them 100% of the time, but it did mean I didn't have to be concentrating for the bits where I would need it.  It's not that they speak all mumbly.  The dialect is supposed to be legitimately Baltimore and can be quite difficult.  As for it taking 6 or so episodes to get into.  You've got to understand that it is a character based drama as opposed to something like BB which is a relatively simple and singular storyline.  The Wire is telling a much bigger story from all angles, so until it gives you the baseline for everyone, it can't progress from there.  But it is well worth it.  As for the seasons.  A lot of them are almost standalone.  You could watch season 2 having never watched season 1 and apart from character development of the main police, you'd be able to follow it.

• Thanks 1

New Series of The OA

Spoiler

Whizzed through the first 3 episodes and loved them. Episode 4 has the bit that will probably wind everyone up this year!! In that they do like testing the limits of suspending your disbelief at times! The one with the original gang all down at the beach felt like the old series - really slow compared to the other episodes which really bang through the story at a rapid pace this time. IIRC the first series built very slowly. Considering the response last time to the movements I love what they've done here and not just with the cool new tech!

Some of the shots are really beautiful.....again.... and there's just so much effort and thought gone into every single scene. CGI can very often annoy and especially in the TV format where cost id more of an issue. I haven't seen anything as visually amazing as this on the small screen ever I don't think.

Marling is excellent again, as someone who is writing for herself she doesn't make things easy for herself. But what a performance.

I liked the first series, I suspect if you liked it too then you'll be glad it's back for more like me.

Certainly be interesting to see if any of you that didn't like it (and I get why that is/was) bother to give it another go (I can't remember that many people feeling that cheated by something since maybe Lost?),

And if you do, whether they've done enough for some of you to suspend your disbelief enough to get into it.

There's a much quicker pace to this series for the most part and I was wary of the fact that the release date kept getting shoved back and whether that meant they had problems behind the scenes. I shouldn't have been.

Loved it. Can't wait for a series 3. More from Batmanglij and Marling please.

19 hours ago, sne said:

Give Gomorrah a try if you haven't already.

S4 starts on march 29th so 1 season a day and you are ready :D 

Gomorrah is utterly brilliant, with it being back, and GoT also back, the next few weeks are shaping up nicely.

I'm another one who never managed to get into The Sopranos or The Wire.

• Like 1

Â