Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

The return of American Gods is welcome. Off screen has seen massive turmoil with the showrunner Bryan Fuller leaving over budget issues and his replacement apparently being sidelined, cast members leaving (such as Gillian Anderson, who was great as Media) and delays.

Unsurprisingly, the show is definitely different now. It doesn't have Fuller's... ostentatious, umptious style quite right, and it feels a little bit cheaper, and perhaps a little more unoriginal. The pivotal scene of the episode here, where there is a meeting of the Old Gods, is a bit uninspired and I can't imagine Fuller would have done the scene the same way.

But it wasn't bad. Not much happens but that's a little expected for a show attempting to pull multiple series from a single book. But it's nice to have these characters back and it's not really like anything else. Hopefully it'll be a decent series overall as the first is one of the best things I've watched in recent years.

On 10/03/2019 at 20:14, Xela said:

Watched all of it now and I liked it. Without giving too much away it gets better and the last 2 episodes are quite sad and poignant. 

I thought it was superb, and Ricky Gervais and everybody else is brilliant in it.  It's not as regularly laugh out loud hilarious as The Office, but it's not supposed to be.  I think it treads the line of dark humour perfectly.  I also think the first episode is deliberately sweary, and gets less so as he moves towards some sort of redemption.  Absolutely brilliant writing in my opinion, it's the best thing I've watched in ages, and is light years ahead of the dreadful new Alan Partridge.  Needless to say, I've found that massively disappointing.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Risso said:

I thought it was superb, and Ricky Gervais and everybody else is brilliant in it.  It's not as regularly laugh out loud hilarious as The Office, but it's not supposed to be.  I think it treads the line of dark humour perfectly.  I also think the first episode is deliberately sweary, and gets less so as he moves towards some sort of redemption.  Absolutely brilliant writing in my opinion, it's the best thing I've watched in ages, and is light years ahead of the dreadful new Alan Partridge.  Needless to say, I've found that massively disappointing.

Have to say I completely agree. I don't think RG is a good actor, I think a lot of the dialogue is very clunky, it's very "on the nose" in a lot of ways but it got me right in the feels. 

Edited by choffer
Clearly I'm not completely agreeing here - I've added a bunch of criticism but I was agreeing that I'd really enjoyed it too!

14 hours ago, Chindie said:

The return of American Gods is welcome. Off screen has seen massive turmoil with the showrunner Bryan Fuller leaving over budget issues and his replacement apparently being sidelined, cast members leaving (such as Gillian Anderson, who was great as Media) and delays.

Unsurprisingly, the show is definitely different now. It doesn't have Fuller's... ostentatious, umptious style quite right, and it feels a little bit cheaper, and perhaps a little more unoriginal. The pivotal scene of the episode here, where there is a meeting of the Old Gods, is a bit uninspired and I can't imagine Fuller would have done the scene the same way.

But it wasn't bad. Not much happens but that's a little expected for a show attempting to pull multiple series from a single book. But it's nice to have these characters back and it's not really like anything else. Hopefully it'll be a decent series overall as the first is one of the best things I've watched in recent years.

Must get round to the first series, I absolutely loved the book.

9 hours ago, Villan_of_oz said:

After Life......

I watched the whole series yesterday, and it was that good I started watching it again.

Eerily, I can relate quite a bit with Tony.

I watched the whole thing last night too and enjoyed it, but It felt like I had already been shown the script in a previous life .

Pretty much every word in the show has been said by Ricky before in either his interviews , stand up or previous shows.

It was kind of like a Gervais "greatest hits" sitcom that never really hits the heights of The Office , Extras and Derek but solid none the less.( I welled up a few times and "Carpool Kamikaze" had me howling)

Supporting cast is excellent it should be said.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Davkaus said:

The new Alan Partridge is absolutely woeful. 

The first episode wasn't great, but the second and third are just incredibly poor. 

I hated the second episode but thought the third - especially the segment about corporal punishment - was brilliant!

19 hours ago, Davkaus said:

The new Alan Partridge is absolutely woeful. 

The first episode wasn't great, but the second and third are just incredibly poor. 

it was the meat sketch that prompted your post wasn't it    :)

all about different strokes and all that  but I've loved it  ... it's as good as Alpha Papa  in terms of Coogans output  , I love the spat with Ruth Duggan over  a spilt shandy  :) but the general interplay and awkwardness with the other characters is great

I watch it with my son (14) who really likes the show but when I tired him on mid morning matters he wasn't impressed  ..and that's probably the AP character in a nutshell , it can be genius one second and fall flat the next 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 13/03/2019 at 10:01, Rodders said:

Another vote for After Life - seen two episodes so far and it is rather good.

Yep, add me to the list of it's admirers.

I'm a fan of Gervais anyway, but this has easily surpassed my expectations. It's a cracking piece of work from all involved.

• Like 3

im plodding along with after life, its ok with maybe 1 or 2 belly laughs every episode

the "not everyone can be in the paper" "not everyone has fingered jackie collins" line cracks me up, its in the trailer and still made me laugh

Edited by villa4europe

I finished After Life tonight.

I'm a big fan of the first 5 episodes. I was rather disappointed with the 6th.

No specific spoilers, but:

Spoiler

I was quite disappointed he choose to wrap up every character arc 'nicely'. It went from a very dark, often depressing show to "everything works out in the end". There wasn't a single laugh in that episode, for me.

The end of episode 4 though...Damn.

Generally a very good, very funny, but often haunting show. Excellent despite it often digressing in to preachy monologues to air Gervais' views on religion which I found rather tedious. 

Edited by Davkaus

12 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Is Umbrella Academy worth persisting with?

Watched 2 episodes so far and it's boring as ****.

I loved it from the start and I think a couple of others on here really enjoyed it too. I’d stick with it, but I never found it boring at all, so it might just not be for you? 

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

I loved it from the start and I think a couple of others on here really enjoyed it too. I’d stick with it, but I never found it boring at all, so it might just not be for you? 

Maybe. 

Nothing has really happened on the first two episodes. And none of the characters seem likeable. 

I’ll probably persist but it’s not holding my attention. 

Â