Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

8 hours ago, AJ said:

Dear England, land of great wit and great culture, please, please, stop allowing Americans to make versions of your wonderful shows. 

I decided to try and watch the American version of The Office, and I just couldn't finish the first episode. It was so bad, it should never been allowed to see daylight, and should have been killed with fire the moment it poked its unfunny, malformed head from the labias of creativity. 

The American version of The Office is great!  Better than the UK version.   

Don't stop after 1 episode!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Seat68 said:

If anything I am jealous of @AJ as I would love to watch it all again for the first time. 

I always think that about Always Sunny, Rick and Morty, Arrested Development, and Parks and Recreation too.

I tend to watch most of these over again anyway. I've seen Always Sunny about 10 times over. I've watched The Office US 3 times.

Not forgetting both series of What We Do In The Shadows too.

• Like 1

1st series of the Crown,  truly outstanding.  It's one of those weird programs,  especially for ex-pats.  Makes me emotional sometimes,  it's so weird.

I know the history as well so its well good as you can see the history and stories come to life.

My Mrs,  who is Dutch absolutely loves it.  Her most "One more episode ?" of all time.  I think that is ace.

10/10

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, ender4 said:

The American version of The Office is great!  Better than the UK version.   

Don't stop after 1 episode!

I suggest they are not quite the same show,  apart from the name ? 

The mechanics are different for the different audiences.

Or,  just show the English one in the US?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

English humour and American humour is very different.   I don’t really ‘get’ English comedies, whereas American comedies make me laugh.  I think The Office adapts to its target audience. 

On 1/26/2021 at 04:51, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

I started The Crown yesterday.  It's amazing.  On episode 4 now.

When the king died I got a pain in my chest,  it was so weird.

I'm glad I gave it a second chance. It's a triumph. Really slick stuff on all fronts. I waver a little bit with the Charles- Diana and Margaret-Tony storylines, but really enjoy the historical and political angles. The cinematography, music, acting, set design, editing are all cutting edge. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, maqroll said:

I'm glad I gave it a second chance. It's a triumph. Really slick stuff on all fronts. I waver a little bit with the Charles- Diana and Margaret-Tony storylines, but really enjoy the historical and political angles. The cinematography, music, acting, set design, editing are all cutting edge. 

I thought the Aberfan episode was particularly impressive. I remember that happening, and the memory still haunts me. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

I suggest they are not quite the same show,  apart from the name ? 

The mechanics are different for the different audiences.

I think the first season of the US version mirrors a lot of the UK story lines but drivers it completely differently. 
The UK show has a lot of cringe and awkwardness that the US doesn’t. 
The UK show is a work of art, perfection.

The US one is a generic American sitcom.

13 minutes ago, Genie said:

I think the first season of the US version mirrors a lot of the UK story lines but drivers it completely differently. 
The UK show has a lot of cringe and awkwardness that the US doesn’t. 
The UK show is a work of art, perfection.

The US one is a generic American sitcom.

You are wrong and you should feel bad about being wrong. For the avoidance of doubt by you I mean people who hold these views and not you a singular person. I do mean you though. 

2 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

You are wrong and you should feel bad about being wrong. For the avoidance of doubt by you I mean people who hold these views and not you a singular person. I do mean you though. 

bbc GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, Troglodyte said:

Could you go back and, y'know, edit the post he's referring to then? I was in the same boat and will probably give it a miss now.

It won’t let me

Edited by Follyfoot

Ooh, I do like getting into a good ol' US vs UK Office debate.

My two penneth; if you take in isolation the US Office from season 2 to about... half-way through 5 then I'd say that period just shades it over the original Office (first season they're still just trying to emulate the original show and it makes for tough viewing, a mistake the creators then repeated with the first seasons of Parks & Rec where they originally set up Leslie Knope's character as a carbon-copy of Michael Scott). However, from that point you start to get into diminishing returns; there's a marked ramping-up of character Flanderisation and silly-for-the-sake-of-silly story threads, Carrell's eventual departure and more screen time for an achingly unwatchable Ed Helms (Scrappy-Doo in a fecking skin suit). 

The original Office is consistently brilliant and, crucially, doesn't overstay it's welcome (if we're talking just the series and not the wholly unnecessary post-show David Brent vehicles).  Taken as a whole, it's the better of the two, though the US Office's high-points are just ever so slightly higher.  US version gets some additional bonus points for being the first US remake of a Brit show I can recall watching that wasn't offensively terrible, once they realised the formula for success is to use the original as loose framework and not a detailed schematic (see: pilots for the US versions of Spaced, I.T. Crowd, Red Dwarf... or don't actually, lest your face gets melted off like the Nazis in Raiders Of The Lost Ark).

• Like 1

Â