Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

Interesting to compare 'The Serpent' with 'The Investigation'. Both dramatisations of true crime stories, but couldn't be more different in approach - one filmed in spectacular locations, highly stylised and focusing on the criminal, the other a very dry and downbeat police procedural with zero 'action' and in which the perpetrator is never even named, let alone seen. Each good in its way. 

#Metoo celebrity Joss Whedon has a new series coming on HBO circling around strong women set in Victorian England.

Guess HBO thinks that he's served his time out now.

Edit: Apparently he's already left the project for whatever reason :D 

Edited by sne

Dear England, land of great wit and great culture, please, please, stop allowing Americans to make versions of your wonderful shows. 

I decided to try and watch the American version of The Office, and I just couldn't finish the first episode. It was so bad, it should never been allowed to see daylight, and should have been killed with fire the moment it poked its unfunny, malformed head from the labias of creativity. 

I was told that sarcasm is the lowest form of wit. This is just not true. It's American plagiarism.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AJ said:

Dear England, land of great wit and great culture, please, please, stop allowing Americans to make versions of your wonderful shows. 

I decided to try and watch the American version of The Office, and I just couldn't finish the first episode. It was so bad, it should never been allowed to see daylight, and should have been killed with fire the moment it poked its unfunny, malformed head from the labias of creativity. 

I was told that sarcasm is the lowest form of wit. This is just not true. It's American plagiarism.

Funnily enough I agree with the sentiment, I've just started this too and I'm 4 episodes in but I'm really enjoying it, very odd at first though getting used to it, I'm hoping it becomes its own thing whilst also looking forward to their take on certain scenes if they come.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, AJ said:

Oh. You stopped at the first episode. Thats a shame. Its a treat as it progresses and it finds its feet. Don’t judge by the first season. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, AJ said:

You need to get through the first season which mimics the UK version.

Its very much its own thing after that and is absolutely superb.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, AJ said:

Whoah. The British version is pretty good. But the American version is one of the best comedy shows ever. Seriously, keep going.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Funnily enough I agree with the sentiment, I've just started this too and I'm 4 episodes in but I'm really enjoying it, very odd at first though getting used to it, I'm hoping it becomes its own thing whilst also looking forward to their take on certain scenes if they come.

15 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Oh. You stopped at the first episode. Thats a shame. Its a treat as it progresses and it finds its feet. Don’t judge by the first season. 

9 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

You need to get through the first season which mimics the UK version.

Its very much its own thing after that and is absolutely superb.

The reason I thought I should at least try it, is because I like Steve Carrell, and if any American actor who I would like to see outRicky Ricky Gervais, he should be the guy. 

It was just so tough to watch, because it was pretty much verbatim with the British version. I enjoyed the British version very much, as it was penultimate cringe TV, and I know it quite well, so maybe I am quite guarded when it comes to another version of a TV show I value. 

As for enduring with it, in the hope I enjoy future seasons, I am not sure I could do that.

8 minutes ago, AJ said:

The reason I thought I should at least try it, is because I like Steve Carrell, and if any American actor who I would like to see outRicky Ricky Gervais, he should be the guy. 

It was just so tough to watch, because it was pretty much verbatim with the British version. I enjoyed the British version very much, as it was penultimate cringe TV, and I know it quite well, so maybe I am quite guarded when it comes to another version of a TV show I value. 

As for enduring with it, in the hope I enjoy future seasons, I am not sure I could do that.

I would suggest trying a later episode as a standalone but you would miss the story. Honestly once it frees itself of the uk version its a joy. One of the very best. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I would suggest trying a later episode as a standalone but you would miss the story. Honestly once it frees itself of the uk version its a joy. One of the very best. 

Just thinking this. Should I just skip to season 4?

1 hour ago, AJ said:

It was just so tough to watch, because it was pretty much verbatim with the British version

It does that for 2 episodes then completely goes its own way. It's very noticeable. The framework is still there but the stories are US centric and the only thing that really endures is the love triangle.

17 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Never seen it but isn't the US version of Shameless quite well regarded too? 

I prefer the US version tbh.

Edited by Designer1
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

The stand remake is really good

Yeah, it’s pretty decent so far. 

I’ve never read the book all the way through. I started it about 18months ago, got 25% in and haven’t been back to it, so I only know the start of the story anyway, which is probably a blessing or I’d be spending most of the time comparing it to the book. 

• Like 1

Â