Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

7 hours ago, sne said:

Same here. Started watching it years ago but only did a couple episodes for some reason. 

If anything it got me pumped for watching Band of Brothers again.

Surprised no one has tried to jump in front of Spielbergo and do an alternative, the stories are out there for a big war drama and excuse the pun but they seemingly can't get their air force project off the ground 

Not sure if they require an enormous budget and cast and if HBO are tied in to anything with the BoB team mensing they won't go elsewhere 

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

Surprised no one has tried to jump in front of Spielbergo and do an alternative, the stories are out there for a big war drama and excuse the pun but they seemingly can't get their air force project off the ground 

Not sure if they require an enormous budget and cast and if HBO are tied in to anything with the BoB team mensing they won't go elsewhere 

Sure I'm missing some stuff here but apart from M:A:S:H very little has been done about the Korea War right?

Surely there must be enough content for something about that or was it too "boring"?

3 minutes ago, sne said:

Sure I'm missing some stuff here but apart from M:A:S:H very little has been done about the Korea War right?

Surely there must be enough content for something about that or was it too "boring"?

They have the red peril angle which is still popular 

Community Season 6 must be the worst last season of a show ever, drop in quality is huge and made worse by the length of the episodes. Season 4 was poor but 6 is dreadful

even Keith David couldnt save it and he tried :( 

3 hours ago, Mozzavfc said:

I think it struggles as it's basically multiple books stuck together, where as BoB is from 1, so it follows much better

Yes, that. Three different characters whose stories didn't intersect, as opposed to the men of a single company. Also, there was a fourth story in the book, which they left out completely (probably because he was an aviator, which would have meant a big flying budget or a lot of CGI). 

3 hours ago, sne said:

Wars that end in a tie don't make for good stories.

Just now, HanoiVillan said:

Wars that end in a tie don't make for good stories.

Perhaps. Depends on how broad you make it. Surely there are tons of interesting stories withing if you follow a certain group or groups. Neither BOB or The Pacific really followed the war as a whole.

1 minute ago, sne said:

Perhaps. Depends on how broad you make it. Surely there are tons of interesting stories withing if you follow a certain group or groups. Neither BOB or The Pacific really followed the war as a whole.

I'm mostly joking 🙂

I don't know why it's not more popular, perhaps it's because not many of the battles are well known or iconic, or because it occurred before television could cover wars well, so the visuals of it aren't as familiar as Vietnam. Perhaps it's just because there are more interesting stories to be told about the others either side of it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sne said:

Here's one: 

Taegukgi

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I'm mostly joking 🙂

I don't know why it's not more popular, perhaps it's because not many of the battles are well known or iconic, or because it occurred before television could cover wars well, so the visuals of it aren't as familiar as Vietnam. Perhaps it's just because there are more interesting stories to be told about the others either side of it.

And I guess China would not be keen on paying for any portion of it if it was about the US side only meaning it won't get made these days by Hollywood.

From the little I've read or seen about it it was a really gruesome conflict. Maybe it's too grim.

Edited by sne
  • Like 1

On 03/02/2021 at 08:59, AJ said:

Dear England, land of great wit and great culture, please, please, stop allowing Americans to make versions of your wonderful shows. 

I decided to try and watch the American version of The Office, and I just couldn't finish the first episode. It was so bad, it should never been allowed to see daylight, and should have been killed with fire the moment it poked its unfunny, malformed head from the labias of creativity. 

I was told that sarcasm is the lowest form of wit. This is just not true. It's American plagiarism.

I've watched about 20 episodes since your post, its brilliant, I'd recommend starting from the beginning, get as far as Stanley playing basketball and you will be hopefully hooked.

I found the original to be top quality and respected the writing more then finding it laugh out loud funny and Brent is a genius creation, one of the greatest.

I've had LOL moments in every episode of the American one and the side characters are better for me, the feeling of comparing it to the original wears off quickly, it becomes its own thing and is more inspired by the original then being a remake.

Really recommend sticking with it.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Watched Its a Sin over last couple of nights. It won't be everyones cup of tea but I thought it was excellent with some great performances. 

i don't know what i was expecting, but it was definitely better than i expected. really enjoyable. very hard hitting and i agree it won't be for everyone but for someone that born in 1984 and obviously doesn't remember all this it certainly was very eye opening.

• Like 2

I was a child of the 80s too, so it's not something I'm an expert on. Found this fascinating documentary from 1985 from the Gay Media Group, aired on BBC2, about how our wonderful print media addressed the AIDS crisis:

Worth a watch IMO, I found it a fascinating historical document.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Started bosch, I like it, solid if unspectacular 7/10 stuff with some clichés it could do without 

For some reason my Netflix was playing up on my firestick so I've spent the week watching amazon on the bedroom TV, it such an awkward to navigate set up that I don't use it as much as I should, for example I hate the fact that there's paid content mixed in there, finally finding some good stuff, especially films 

13 hours ago, tomav84 said:

i don't know what i was expecting, but it was definitely better than i expected. really enjoyable. very hard hitting and i agree it won't be for everyone but for someone that born in 1984 and obviously doesn't remember all this it certainly was very eye opening.

I was 11 in 1985 and my first memory of becoming aware of Aids was when the American actor Rock Hudson died from it and it was on the news. 

It is shocking though how people with aids were treated like lepers and locked up in separate parts of hospitals. That would not have happened had this have been a disease that predominantly affected heterosexuals. I can remember people believing this was a homosexual disease and many people believing they had brought it upon themselves and it was deserved. Shameful times. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I was 11 in 1985 and my first memory of becoming aware of Aids was when the American actor Rock Hudson died from it and it was on the news. 

It is shocking though how people with aids were treated like lepers and locked up in separate parts of hospitals. That would not have happened had this have been a disease that predominantly affected heterosexuals. I can remember people believing this was a homosexual disease and many people believing they had brought it upon themselves and it was deserved. Shameful times. 

Those people still exist, unfortunately. 

On 05/02/2021 at 22:55, Zatman said:

Community Season 6 must be the worst last season of a show ever, drop in quality is huge and made worse by the length of the episodes. Season 4 was poor but 6 is dreadful

even Keith David couldnt save it and he tried :( 

spacer.png

• Like 2

Â