Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

4 hours ago, maqroll said:

Is Wallace and Gromit still a thing? I really like all their stuff including Chicken Run.

Being pedantic, Chicken Run doesn't feature Wallace and Gromit, but it is from the same (Nick Park) stable. I do think the W&G films are the best, though - particularly 'The Wrong Trousers', for me his masterpiece. 

Edited by mjmooney

3 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Being pedantic, Chicken Run doesn't feature Wallace and Gromit, but it is from the same (Nick Park) stable. I do think the W&G films are the best, though - particularly 'The Wrong Trousers', for me his masterpiece. 

The penguin villain is superb in that (along with the model train scene!)

Aardman have made some really decent family films now - even the Shaun the Sheep spin-offs are good value. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, maqroll said:

Yeah, it definitely has a old timey cozy feel about it. Good family entertainment.

Apparently there’s a Robin Hood (I’ll say it quietly) musical coming from Ardman before the end of the year. Starring Richard E. Grant and Gillian Anderson. Expected to be a Netflix release. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Stone cold classic joke, from Curse of the Were Rabbit.

The cop announces he thinks it was arson. Someone arson around.

Any time there’s a mini mystery in the house now, I blame arson.

So your daughter gets away with it every time?

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I've got in to the American bbq showdown

Bad news for hunger issues, maybe my favourite type of food, it loses some interest cos I know I can't actually do any of this even if I wanted to due to the meat availability 

World class reality TV, love everything about it. Best bit is when they subtitle people out of the blue.

On the main topic, I recently rewatched The Wire Season 1. Hadn't seen it in about 10 years, so it was really watchable as had forgotten a lot of the twists.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

I've got in to the American bbq showdown

Bad news for hunger issues, maybe my favourite type of food, it loses some interest cos I know I can't actually do any of this even if I wanted to due to the meat availability 

Really liked that program and followed it up with the glass.blowing competition series also on Netflix, which was really decent too. Some mad skills on display there. 

1 minute ago, theboyangel said:

Really liked that program and followed it up with the glass.blowing competition series also on Netflix, which was really decent too. Some mad skills on display there. 

Haha I was eying up the glass blowing one with interest, will do that one next 

• Like 1

I watched all of Bodyguard this weekend, which is 5 episodes of fantastic, edge of your seat drama, followed by one of the worst, laziest finales I've ever had the misfortune to watch. It ruined the show entirely.

It's like they were meant to have another 2 or 3 episodes, cut at the last moment so they rewrote their remaining to just have everyone confess for no real reason. It's just dreadful writing that insults the viewer.

• Like 1

There was a shit bit on the bbq show too

Spoiler

In episode 3 they let the bottom 2 stay rather than send someone home leaving 6 of them, episode 4 is the sandwich tournament which needs 6 people to take part

Been talked about before as to why bake off is so good, it's in part because it doesn't do bullshit like that 

The bit in Blown Away...

Spoiler

They have a challenge where the artists have to create a cartoon character. 

One of the artists just rejects the brief. He refuses to do what they've asked him to, and instead he makes a piece with a message tangentially related to cartoons. He openly says he's never going to do what they want him to.

They don't send him home. Instead they send home a guy who meets the brief, but does it averagely. The guy who rejected the brief made his object very very well, and he's clearly supremely talented, but it wasn't what he was asked to do.

As a result, you just feel a couple of things. Firstly, it's evident they are making a decision based on who they want to progress, rather than the outcome of the challenge, which questions the whole thing. And secondly, by allowing a contestant to just ignore the brief, you open the competition up to the question of, well... If the brief is something you don't want to do, but you're shit hot at making vases, what's to stop you just making a vase whenever you don't like the challenge?

I enjoyed the show, but that moment just made me question all of it.

The show does also have an issue with the vagueries of art. Theres times where you can see that artistic vision is making up a lot for failures of skill.

Â