Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

5 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

If you liked normal Narcos then you'd like it.  The main character isn't as fascinating and there is less real footage than with Escobar but it's still good.

14 minutes ago, sne said:

It's not bad, not as good as S1 & 2 of the first Narcos series but still pretty good.

Thanks both. Having just finished Breaking Bad (I know) I need something to binge on

I need some help. I'm thinking of watching Stranger things. It's described as Drama / Horror. Now I don't really like horror. I could watch it but if it's just monsters, gore and Killing, I find it a bit meh. So is it more than that?

1 minute ago, colhint said:

I need some help. I'm thinking of watching Stranger things. It's described as Drama / Horror. Now I don't really like horror. I could watch it but if it's just monsters, gore and Killing, I find it a bit meh. So is it more than that?

Its more than that, actually it isnt that. It has horror elements but also psychological and drama. I held off as the description didn’t wow me but it was one of the best things I watched last year. Don’t hesitate, watch it. 

• Like 1

Just now, Seat68 said:

Its more than that, actually it isnt that. It has horror elements but also psychological and drama. I held off as the description didn’t wow me but it was one of the best things I watched last year. Don’t hesitate, watch it. 

That's why I love VT. ask a question you get an answer from someone  who knows what they are talking about. 

Thank you.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, GarethRDR said:

, a mistake the creators then repeated with the first seasons of Parks & Rec where they originally set up Leslie Knope's character as a carbon-copy of Michael Scott).

Which was strange as they are polar opposite personalities.  With every repeat viewing of the US Office Michael Scott just comes off as a truly bad person. It's funny and the show dies with his exit but he's just not a likeable guy. Everything he does is for himself whilst Brent still has a conscience and Knope is the most selfless person alive.

I think the one thing the US version had over ours is the side characters got a lot more to do.

"Looking to poach some chumps ... You in ?"

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, colhint said:

As the others have said it's not really horror but it has some scary-ish scenes and violence. You should be fine.

Think of it as a heavy stylized modern more adult version of those 80's matinee mystery movies but still aimed at big kids like me :D It's pretty cute and goofy most of the time but the theme is rather dark. 

I really liked it but then again I'm smack in the target audience having been a kid in the 80's and watched all those movies.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Anyone started zero, zero, zero yet?

just finishing off Prodigal Son (a cheesy mish-mash of Dexter, Hannibal and The Mentalist) tonight and probably moving straight onto zerox3 

Yeah it's good, not a patch on Gomorrah and kinda petered out a bit but I still liked it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, sne said:

Finally got around to finishing The Pacific. It's not bad but it's not in the same league as Band of Brothers, not even close.

Was actually thinking of finally getting round to it myself. Dug out an old hard drive with it downloaded on.

1 minute ago, fightoffyour said:

Was actually thinking of finally getting round to it myself. Dug out an old hard drive with it downloaded on.

Same here. Started watching it years ago but only did a couple episodes for some reason. 

If anything it got me pumped for watching Band of Brothers again.

1 hour ago, sne said:

Yeah it's good, not a patch on Gomorrah and kinda petered out a bit but I still liked it.

I am going to start ZeroZeroZero tonight. Is it all subtitled? Not that that puts me off or anything just wondering 

7 minutes ago, Bizzzle said:

I am going to start ZeroZeroZero tonight. Is it all subtitled? Not that that puts me off or anything just wondering 

From what I remember it was maybe 40-50% English speaking and the rest Italian and Spanish.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 25/01/2021 at 13:02, Chindie said:

The bit in Blown Away...

Hide contents

They have a challenge where the artists have to create a cartoon character. 

One of the artists just rejects the brief. He refuses to do what they've asked him to, and instead he makes a piece with a message tangentially related to cartoons. He openly says he's never going to do what they want him to.

They don't send him home. Instead they send home a guy who meets the brief, but does it averagely. The guy who rejected the brief made his object very very well, and he's clearly supremely talented, but it wasn't what he was asked to do.

As a result, you just feel a couple of things. Firstly, it's evident they are making a decision based on who they want to progress, rather than the outcome of the challenge, which questions the whole thing. And secondly, by allowing a contestant to just ignore the brief, you open the competition up to the question of, well... If the brief is something you don't want to do, but you're shit hot at making vases, what's to stop you just making a vase whenever you don't like the challenge?

I enjoyed the show, but that moment just made me question all of it.

The show does also have an issue with the vagueries of art. Theres times where you can see that artistic vision is making up a lot for failures of skill.

Just got to this episodes and agree with your sentiments. Last year someone did a similar thing and was kicked out so was disappointed they didn’t do the same this year.

it didn’t help matters that the particular contestant is an arrogant smug prick who refers to himself in the 3rd person - utter cretin - just hoping he doesn’t win!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, sne said:

Finally got around to finishing The Pacific. It's not bad but it's not in the same league as Band of Brothers, not even close.

I think it struggles as it's basically multiple books stuck together, where as BoB is from 1, so it follows much better

• Like 2

Â