Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

8 minutes ago, sne said:

The issue is with how it's done.

To be fair you did elaborate on that in your op. I suppose it was more at the follow up point. 

Rubbish telly is rubbish though I'll agree with that. There's always been rubbish telly. 

On 01/05/2020 at 16:15, mjmooney said:

No question about it, the whole 'mad Carrie' thing is implausible. But it's a standard trope in a great many series of this type - 'unstable woman gets fired for screwing up, goes maverick, solves the case, gets reinstated, rinse and repeat'. See: The Killing, The Bridge, Spiral, etc., etc. 

But what kept me watching Homeland was all the technology and black ops stuff. Just fascinating, IMO. That and Mandy Patinkin, who is excellent. 

Mandy Patinkin plays Saul so so well. I have to admit I didn't really enjoy the Brody story, there I have said it. Series 3 was not the best but from then on it's been top notch with the exception of the last but one series with the conspiracy nutcase.

I may be talking about an old show but have been watching The Missing/Baptiste recently .

All the series are really good but the second series of The Missing is the best.Its on IPlayer or Netflix at the moment.

Can anyone recommend something similar ?

Edited by Only2McInallys

17 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

Mandy Patinkin plays Saul so so well. I have to admit I didn't really enjoy the Brody story, there I have said it. Series 3 was not the best but from then on it's been top notch with the exception of the last but one series with the conspiracy nutcase.

I'm 3 episodes in to season 2 and cant be bothered but I sort of want to see how it pans out, can I miss parts and if so what and what?

6 hours ago, rjw63 said:

Have given up on this, halfway through episode 5.

It just goes nowhere.

I read a couple of reviews saying it looks great but no idea was going on. That was enough for me not to bother acquiring it.

Going back to Ricky Gervais, I always wonder what happened to the relationship he had with Merchant and Pilkington. They pretty much worked together non stop for about 15 years (XFM radio shows, The Office, Extras, Life's too Short, The Ricky Gervais Show, both the podcasts and animated show, An Idiot Abroad and Cemetery Junction) but haven't been seen together in years. The 3 of them seem to have gone their separate ways for the last 5 or 6 years and barely even mention each other anymore . 

21 minutes ago, Xela said:

Going back to Ricky Gervais, I always wonder what happened to the relationship he had with Merchant and Pilkington. They pretty much worked together non stop for about 15 years (XFM radio shows, The Office, Extras, Life's too Short, The Ricky Gervais Show, both the podcasts and animated show, An Idiot Abroad and Cemetery Junction) but haven't been seen together in years. The 3 of them seem to have gone their separate ways for the last 5 or 6 years and barely even mention each other anymore . 

Gervais doesn't need them.

37 minutes ago, Xela said:

15 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

It would appear Merchant doesn't need Gervais either. He's doing incredibly well for himself.

I think something must have happened between the three. They say they just wanted to do separate projects but the complete cut off has been a bit strange for me. 
I also think Afterlife is the only really good thing Gervais has done without Merchant.

24 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

They've all done pretty well I think. Obviously not at Gervais levels but Merchant does a lot in LA nowadays. 

6 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I think something must have happened between the three. They say they just wanted to do separate projects but the complete cut off has been a bit strange for me. 
I also think Afterlife is the only really good thing Gervais has done without Merchant.

Merchant's contribution makes the shows better. He's a really funny bloke and him and Gervais work so well together. In the XFM shows, its Merchant who is better at telling anecdotes and jokes IMO. The three of them combined just work perfectly. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Xela said:

They've all done pretty well I think. Obviously not at Gervais levels but Merchant does a lot in LA nowadays. 

Merchant's contribution makes the shows better. He's a really funny bloke and him and Gervais work so well together. In the XFM shows, its Merchant who is better at telling anecdotes and jokes IMO. The three of them combined just work perfectly. 

I always found Merchant the funniest of the 3 on the xfm shows! It’s a shame they don’t get together any more I’d love for them to do another podcast or something. I like afterlife but it’s nowhere near as good as the office or extras imo I think Gervais works better with merchant although I wasn’t a massive fan of life’s too short 

Edited by Bizzzle
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Xela said:

Merchant is so underrated. 

And also in the XFM shows he is hilarious. There are a few episodes, as I’m sure you know, where Karl isn’t there. And the comments on YouTube are full of negativity. But they’re actually **** hilarious. 

I can’t remember if it’s a story from the podcasts or the XFM show. But it’s when Stephen tells a story about his holiday to Brazil. I was actually in tears laughing the first time I heard that

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Bizzzle said:

I always found Merchant the funniest of the 3 on the xfm shows! It’s a shame they don’t get together any more I’d love for them to do another podcast or something. I like afterlife but it’s nowhere near as good as the office or extras imo I think Gervais works better with merchant although I wasn’t a massive fan of life’s too short 

I imagine they’ll get back together eventually. For the pay day if nothing else. Karl will want a new kitchen sooner or later

I struggle to sit through stuff that Gervais has done without Merchant.  I'll get round to finishing After Life but the first episode of the new series was a chore to watch and it's gone to the back of the queue of stuff I'm watching at the mo.

Watching the Parks and Rec lockdown special. Its a nice to have but not many laugh out loud moments from the main characters. Still good to have it though. 
John Ralphio is always gold. 

• Like 3

Anybody watch Lykkeland ('State of Happiness') last night? I'd be interested to hear our Norwegian VTers comments (I assume it was shown there first).  

More of a soap opera than the mostly crime/noir type Scandanavian dramas we usually get, and the British actor's attempted Texas accent kept drifting, but it has promise. 

Edited by mjmooney

15 hours ago, Xela said:

They've all done pretty well I think. Obviously not at Gervais levels but Merchant does a lot in LA these days 

I for one liked his "Hello Ladies" shows and spin off film, but I guess there's only so much entertainment in an awkward IT geek trying to pull "resting" actresses and leggy wannabe models in Hollywood. The show didn't get great reviews overall though.

He's also popped up in a couple of episodes of Modern Family. 

Pilkington....again, only so much can be enjoyed from watching a whinging manc do stuff he doesn't want to.

Gervais ? I do like him. The Office and Extras in particular were excellent. Not keen on his stand up shows though. After Life series one was great but he carried on the self pity mood throughout series two and i got bored with it. Never seen Derek...might give it a go. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Merchant has too strong an accent to crack Hollywood imo 

Plus he's a "lanky goggle eyed freak" 🤓

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Â