Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

5 hours ago, villa4europe said:

The only bits I don't like in season 2 so is the therapist, they've stretched him to breaking point for me 

Agreed. I think After Life is excellent, and well written, but the therapist is completely pointless and unfunny. 

2 hours ago, PieFacE said:

Yeah the therapist in After Life was the only thing that let it down. They went too far with it. No one in their right mind would pay to see a clearing in the woods like that. 

Yeah it does feel a bit forced. He wasn't that repulsive in S1 was he? 

13 hours ago, Villan_of_oz said:

I was scared to watch After life season 2, after loving the first season so much. Wife and binged watch season 2 the other night and I thought it was nothing short of brilliant.

Gervais proving he is no one truck pony! My wife thinks Tony is closest she has seen to someone like me. Still sorting out if that's a compliment or an insult 🤔

If you liked S1 and you'll love S2.

one+truck+pony.png

• Haha 1

Just finished watching Devs. 

Pretty damned good, I thought - script, acting, cinematography, soundtrack, all excellent. 

How science fiction should be done, but so very rarely is. 

48 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Just finished watching Devs. 

Pretty damned good, I thought - script, acting, cinematography, soundtrack, all excellent. 

How science fiction should be done, but so very rarely is. 

Alex Garland behind it. Pretty much everything he's been involved with is great.

Dredd is a fantastic action movie that belies its budget with great cinematography, tight script and brilliant style.

Ex Machina is a fantastic sci fi fable with wonderful atmosphere and again beautiful looking cinematography and at design despite its relatively constrained setting.

Annihilation is a very intriguing, weird sci fi action thriller with wonderful, horrifying visuals and intensely unsettling atmosphere and genuinely creepy stuff as it explores the ideas it raises(although this is an adaptation).

The man's just really good at sci fi with strong ideas and tight, cohesive visual and audio design.

• Like 2

Question: on IMDB the whole show (DC Legends of Tomorrow) has a ranking of 6.8/10 yet the lowest ranked episode is 7.4 moving up to 9 I think was the highest.  How can the overall ranking be significantly lower than the lowest episode? Or am I missing something. 

15 hours ago, PieFacE said:

Yeah the therapist in After Life was the only thing that let it down. They went too far with it. No one in their right mind would pay to see a clearing in the woods like that. 

I can't help but think it was an extension of Paul Kayes character from Lilihammer. After he'd stopped battering people with a 'Millwall brick'.

Not much let After Life 2 down but, yeah, the therapist.

Also...

Spoiler

there was a point where I thought he was going end up with Sandy. They had some nice dialogue and the nurse was going cold on him.

6 hours ago, Withnail said:

Question: on IMDB the whole show (DC Legends of Tomorrow) has a ranking of 6.8/10 yet the lowest ranked episode is 7.4 moving up to 9 I think was the highest.  How can the overall ranking be significantly lower than the lowest episode? Or am I missing something. 

IMDB used to be an encyclopedia for film and TV, now its a manipulated bag of crap full of the big companies paid influencers. They stopped the message boards about 4/5 years ago as they knew what the site was to become and didn't want the backlash.

finished gangs of london

maybe binged it a little too much, I would say after episode 5 (which is properly mental) it numbs a little, the shock is gone and then the story doesn't really ramp up it kind of winds down and I was hit with the realisation that I didn't really care for any of the characters, still thought it was good overall, as previously mentioned the production values, sound, cinematography etc are all HBO levels of high, some of the stunt work is as high as anything I've ever seen on TV, the violence definitely is, so its worth a watch but it ultimately falls just short

I did like how it feels London without necessarily being drummed home that its London, I think you see the shard in the last episode, canary wharf once or twice and some taxis thrown in but that's about it, they don't use the city in the same way as other shows, they don't flash in a glimpse of big ben or jellied eels, they capture the city without really showing it which I though was quite clever

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

finished gangs of london

maybe binged it a little too much, I would say after episode 5 (which is properly mental) it numbs a little, the shock is gone and then the story doesn't really ramp up it kind of winds down and I was hit with the realisation that I didn't really care for any of the characters, still thought it was good overall, as previously mentioned the production values, sound, cinematography etc are all HBO levels of high, some of the stunt work is as high as anything I've ever seen on TV, the violence definitely is, so its worth a watch but it ultimately falls just short

I did like how it feels London without necessarily being drummed home that its London, I think you see the shard in the last episode, canary wharf once or twice and some taxis thrown in but that's about it, they don't use the city in the same way as other shows, they don't flash in a glimpse of big ben or jellied eels, they capture the city without really showing it which I though was quite clever

Should finish the last 2 episodes tonight and I already see what you mean  about the comedown after episode 5! 

It’s been pretty decent and helped by it being not in the least mockney 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Withnail said:

As @Phil Silvers said, IMDB has gone downhill over the past few years. 

Metacritic and Rotten Tomatoes are my go to sites for reviews these days, if I’m looking to get a broad consensus on something. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Phil Silvers said:

IMDB used to be an encyclopedia for film and TV, now its a manipulated bag of crap full of the big companies paid influencers. They stopped the message boards about 4/5 years ago as they knew what the site was to become and didn't want the backlash.

I still mourn the closure of those damn message boards. Yes there were some nobs on there but name me a forum that there isnt (VT excepted obviously). But they were brilliant for movie/ actor discussion and have yet to find any online that come close - open to recommendations 

• Like 2

Some decent series for you during lockdown.

Power, game of thrones, sons of anarchy, banshee, the last kingdom, queen of the south, Ray Donovan, supernatural, the Witcher, sleepy hollow, frontier, Spartacus, the blacklist, breaking bad, ozark and obviously the tiger king

9 minutes ago, Villa Stu said:

Some decent series for you during lockdown.

Power, game of thrones, sons of anarchy, banshee, the last kingdom, queen of the south, Ray Donovan, supernatural, the Witcher, sleepy hollow, frontier, Spartacus, the blacklist, breaking bad, ozark and obviously the tiger king

I'd wager there are many VT-ers that have seen each and every one ;)

Personally I've seen all of

GoT

SoA

Banshee

Ray Donovan

Spartacus (season one anyway, didn't like Andy Whitfield's replacement)

Blacklist (up to S04)

Breaking Bad

Ozark.

Couldn't get into Witcher or Supernatural, I did try.

And Power...thought it was absolute bollocks. Quit after4 episodes.

Going to try "Dispatches From Elsewhere", Richard E Grant.

Starts over here tonight but has already aired in The States...time to go sailing ;)

Just completed Banshee 10/10 absolutely loved it, thank you to the posters that recommended it, think it may have been rjw63 and wazzap24, maybe others tytytytyty.

So many great characters in this, really hope its not the last we see of it, would love to see spin offs for the back stories of for Job, Clay and maybe Ana/Rabbit. 

It can be a tad far fetched with a smidgen of implausibility here and there but god damn its entertaining.

Need something new to binge now.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Phil Silvers said:

Just completed Banshee 10/10 absolutely loved it, thank you to the posters that recommended it, think it may have been rjw63 and wazzap24, maybe others tytytytyty.

So many great characters in this, really hope its not the last we see of it, would love to see spin offs for the back stories of for Job, Clay and maybe Ana/Rabbit. 

It can be a tad far fetched with a smidgen of implausibility here and there but god damn its entertaining.

Need something new to binge now.

If you've not seen it, go for Ray Donovan.

If you want to go back further, I'd also recommend

House (Hugh is magnificent)

The Shield

Rescue Me (Denis Leary is superb)

Edited by rjw63
  • Thanks 1

Â