Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

2 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Totally agree about overfilling episodes with a multitude of characters, although quite liked the Albanian (that hotel scene!) and Kurdish main characters 

Reveal hidden contents

I have a sneaky suspicion Shaun Wallace survived the shot to the face

Spoiler

Yeah and me, the lone copper completely covered up was a bit suspicious 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, theboyangel said:

Depends if you have a thing for psychologically damaged needy women?  😂

to be fair, I gave up after S3 and totally wish they’d been brave and ended it at season one proper. 

No question about it, the whole 'mad Carrie' thing is implausible. But it's a standard trope in a great many series of this type - 'unstable woman gets fired for screwing up, goes maverick, solves the case, gets reinstated, rinse and repeat'. See: The Killing, The Bridge, Spiral, etc., etc. 

But what kept me watching Homeland was all the technology and black ops stuff. Just fascinating, IMO. That and Mandy Patinkin, who is excellent. 

• Like 2

Apparently they made a 5th season of this excellent series, had no idea. Thought for sure the 4th season was the final one with it ending the way it did.

Already out according to IMDB

Le Bureau des Légendes Poster

5 episodes into Gangs of London and it's pretty entertaining and very well made.

It relies a bit too heavy on action for my liking, bordering on early 90's John Woo which again is entertaining but I've outgrown that type of stuff a bit.

Some of the characters also almost seem to have late seasons Game of Thrones level plot armor. Or at least a supernatural ability to absorb damage. 

• Like 1

know it's trash, but I've always had a soft spot for SAS Who Dares Wins. They've just started a new 'celebrity' series, with the usual events and whatnot. And it's the usual compelling rubbish.

But the 2 big things I've taken from the series so far - I can't tell if Tony Bellew and John Fashanu are competitive 'alpha' guys, or bellends. In a couple of tasks they've done the 'are you able to use and control aggression' and in both of them you kinda see a side to things that make you question things. Bellew beforehand seemed like a fairly good bloke (I'm putting aside his boxing persona because, well, a lot of that is put on drama to sell a fight). But in a task where he had to take all the other contestants punching him and not fight back he was screaming at them and eventually they had to stop the task as he was clearly about to start swinging. In a later task they did 'murderball' where basically 2 contestants had to fight over a tire to score a point, and Bellew is legally going mad in the sidelines calling them all words removed for not doing well enough on his team.

But it's Fashanu I really can't work out. He's 56 now and slowing down. And he's got that gentleman arsehole thing going on, he talks well and his clearly a smarter bloke than the average footballer, but then on the murder ball task he literally tried to strangle his opponent, he had him in a hold straight out of Brazilian jiu-jitsu. Which just seems like a psychopathic thing to do. I can understand the aggression, but trying to choke the other guy out? What the ****?! I know he's always had that prick side to him (lest of all his **** grim attitude to his brother for the longest time) but this was just bizarre.

• Like 2

@Chindie also have a soft spot for the SAS program 

both Bellew and Fashanu are utter penises and both were atrocious during the murder ball exercise. 

I got the impression none of the staff had any time for Katie Price (another abhorrent individual) and were probably chuffed when she jacked it in early day 2. 

Yep the SAS programme is good, although the actual SAS people are getting worse personally. You can tell they’ve been doing tv a long time. The one who said he didn’t know what a YouTuber was... come on it’s not the 90s and they were so rude about Anthea calling her the old woman and doing well for her age (which is true, but the derogatory way they said it was bad). 

I normally quite like Bellew, but I've noticed he's come close to losing his temper on A League of Their Own when he's been a guest a few times. Didn't quite realise the level of his anger though, he's got a few issues and takes things way too far.

Fashanu is an idiot. The way he strangled that guy was crazy.

Just finished For Mankind

it was an interesting concept , a little slow at time’s and too many story lines going on but still decent enough  ... it passed the “boy” test in that Tonyh Jnr  watched it with me without going on his phone every 5 minutes

hopefully season 2 will focus more on the moon base / space than season 1 though 

On 24/04/2020 at 14:46, TheMelvillan said:

Started a show called Devs. It's an Alex garland show and you can't half tell - it's pretty stunning. Only watched one episode so far but excited to keep going 

Absolutely loved it. Utterly beautiful to look at and a good (if complex) plot. 

On 01/05/2020 at 11:13, rjw63 said:

"Dispatches From Elsewhere".

Hmmm.

Watched 3 episodes last night. I'm half interested half **** confused. No idea WTF is going on. Will give it another go later.

Have given up on this, halfway through episode 5.

It just goes nowhere.

Getting more than a little fed up with series (and movies) who try and shoehorn in modern day issues and problems into historical or sci-fi settings.

I get it, a bit of social commentary. Very clever, well done. But most of the time it's so ham-fisted and poorly executed.

Absolutely much of the stuff is issues that's been around for ages and that will still be around in a 100 or 500 years but still. It's unsubtle and the way it is written and executed does my head in.

It's likely always been like this to some degree but with this being the "golden age of television" it's getting a bit tedious.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sne said:

Getting more than a little fed up with series (and movies) who try and shoehorn in modern day issues and problems into historical or sci-fi settings.

I get it, a bit of social commentary. Very clever, well done. But most of the time it's so ham-fisted and poorly executed.

Absolutely much of the stuff is issues that's been around for ages and that will still be around in a 100 or 500 years but still. It's unsubtle and the way it is written and executed does my head in.

It's likely always been like this to some degree but with this being the "golden age of television" it's getting a bit tedious.

HEAR! HEAR!

Agendas should be kept out of these types of entertainment. If its something you want to deal with make a bloody documentary.

Sci fi without social commentary? 

What would be the point exactly. 

I dislike histo-drama stuff (although vikings became the exception to the rule) but minority report without the 'agenda', blade runner without the social commentary, 1984 without the political point?

Have you thought this one through or am I missing the point?

8 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

Sci fi without social commentary? 

What would be the point exactly. 

I dislike histo-drama stuff (although vikings became the exception to the rule) but minority report without the 'agenda', blade runner without the social commentary, 1984 without the political point?

Have you thought this one through or am I missing the point?

The issue is with how it's done.

21 hours ago, theboyangel said:

@Chindie also have a soft spot for the SAS program 

both Bellew and Fashanu are utter penises and both were atrocious during the murder ball exercise. 

I got the impression none of the staff had any time for Katie Price (another abhorrent individual) and were probably chuffed when she jacked it in early day 2. 

I think Bellew is fine, generally, he seems like a good bloke at heart, he's just got severe issues with his anger and need to compete. Fashanu though... There's something very false about him, and that moment trying to choke a guy in what was basically a game until he was forced to stop, is insane. I think it kinda summed it up when they did the sit down interview with him (where they avoided him throwing his brother under the bus) and their comment afterwards was 'he's the first man I've seen where I wonder what the **** is going on in his head'.

With Price I think they knew she couldn't really hack any of it and also that she was basically using the show to push her name again. The sob story just didn't ring true and I think they knew straight away that this was purely a story to raise her name in the shitrag mags again.

Edited by Chindie
  • Like 1

Â