General Chat

Stevo985

7 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

What the hell has been going on at Sainsbury’s in Longbridge? Chemical attack?

They probably saw the price for a basket of shopping and fainted. 

2 hours ago, LondonLax said:

Regime change in Australia. Labor in power after 10 years of the conservatives.

I know next to very little about Aussie politics, but I’m ideologically hardwired to assume this is a good thing. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, El Zen said:

I know next to very little about Aussie politics, but I’m ideologically hardwired to assume this is a good thing. 

It should mean stronger action on climate change policy. The Conservative party lost in large part because wealthy city voters who would normally vote conservative switched to independents who promised to take stronger action on climate policy without rocking the boat on traditional conservative policy.

I guess in the U.K. it would be like a lot of Tory seats switching to Lib Dem because they promised more action on climate change, allowing labour to get over the line. 

The danger for the Australian conservatives is that they lost most of their moderate wing from city areas and will now be represented by their more loony candidates from the countryside while in opposition.

We can only hope that will mean a long period in the wilderness for them and not a Trump style revival from the far right 😬

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LondonLax said:

Regime change in Australia. Labor in power after 10 years of the conservatives.

Hopefully they'll be at least a little bit greener. Australia is a basket case on The Environment getting destroyed by global warming yet totally addicted, almost militant about coal. 

9 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Hopefully they'll be at least a little bit greener. Australia is a basket case on The Environment getting destroyed by global warming yet totally addicted, almost militant about coal. 

It’s because whole communities in regional areas depend on coal mining for their existence and vote accordingly. People in the cities do not but people in the cities don’t lose their jobs when the pits close.  

2 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

It’s because whole communities in regional areas depend on coal mining for their existence and vote accordingly. People in the cities do not but people in the cities don’t lose their jobs when the pits close.  

They need to build the battery and solar panel factories and battery and solar panel farms where the coal mines are then. 

tenor.gif

• Like 1

I dont know anything about aussie politics but are thw conservatives the same as the conservatives here? I would assume that not every countrys conservatives are not as bad as ours? Just like evey labour party isnt the same.

I might be wrong as i said i have no idea

7 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I would assume that not every countrys conservatives are not as bad as ours? Just like evey labour party isnt the same.

This is true. While disagreeing fundamentally with much of their political programme and most of their core ideology, at least I can honestly say the Norwegian Conservative Party is reasonably moderate, honest and competent. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

They need to build the battery and solar panel factories and battery and solar panel farms where the coal mines are then. 

tenor.gif

You really would think it that simple.

I guess Australia must have a shortage of spare land and not that much sunshine, otherwise they’d be absolute **** idiots not to be going down the renewables route.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I guess Australia must have a shortage of spare land and not that much sunshine, otherwise they’d be absolute **** idiots not to be going down the renewables route.

Or massive district heating networks or massive tidal opportunities.

That said, I'm VERY careful about tidal.. I'm also an environmental scientist (with Hons, whatever that means).. 

Poor fishies :(

Edited by lapal_fan
  • Like 1

I'd seen somewhere the aussies are building a proper **** huge solar panel farm in northern Australia... That will power Singapore... 

Its something like £25bn worth of investment 

If that's a success they might cotton on and do it for themselves too

8 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Dunno, I watched an episode of Neighbours and it was raining. So, from that I can assume Australia is fairly gloomy all year round.

• Like 1

On 19/05/2022 at 11:11, Genie said:

Most people do, I assume they are advised to so that the media don’t hunt them down and make it 10x worse.

I guess the advice is to go public, a few weeks of fanfare on your own terms then it’ll settle down.

With that kind of money it won’t stay a secret.

I believe they are actually advised not to go public. I've not met them but friends of the in laws won the lottery a while back and they said they they were generally advised not to, but chose to go public anyway resulting in lots of begging letters etc. I'm not sure what the motivation is to go public. I guess it's to bask in their 5 mins of fame or like you say, feel its easier than making an effort to keep it discrete.

Whether this is still the same advice I'm not sure and whether it would be the same for them with it being so much.

Â