General Chat

Stevo985

I was playing an open mic in Ilkley the other night, and one of the other performers (about my age, and very good indeed) had a noticeable brummie accent. We did the whole hail-fellow-well-met routine, and I asked him what part of town he was from. Small Heath. Yep, a nose. He had the decency to be apologetic about it, and we agreed to stay off the subject of football. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I was playing an open mic in Ilkley the other night, and one of the other performers (about my age, and very good indeed) had a noticeable brummie accent. We did the whole hail-fellow-well-met routine, and I asked him what part of town he was from. Small Heath. Yep, a nose. He had the decency to be apologetic about it, and we agreed to stay off the subject of football. 

Could you not tell from the odour?

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

To be fair being a six fingered guitarist would be pretty advantageous. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

This could go in any number of threads, but a video from the 70s in which some BBC journo goes on povvo safari to Bury and then northerners and southerners go at it is, uh, something else:

Edited by HanoiVillan
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

This could go in any number of threads, but a video from the 70s in which some BBC journo goes on povvo safari to Bury and then northerners and southerners go at it is, uh, something else:

Is that how @tonyh29 sees northern folk?! ;) 

Obviously its nothing like that nowadays but amazing how different it seemed back then. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Xela said:

Is that how @tonyh29 sees northern folk?! ;) 

Obviously its nothing like that nowadays but amazing how different it seemed back then. 

The mad thing to me is it's 1970. Just down the road in Manchester my mum was just starting uni. I guess that's what it was like outside the main cities, feels unreal somehow.

Things is, that wasn't really about north v south, it was about class. The beer-bingo-fish'n'chips clichés would probably have applied equally to working class Londoners. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Things is, that wasn't really about north v south, it was about class. The beer-bingo-fish'n'chips clichés would probably have applied equally to working class Londoners. 

Londoners don't do fish and chips. Pie and mash, jellied eels etc. It's what sets us apart, their lack of taste and decorum

27 minutes ago, bickster said:

Londoners don't do fish and chips. Pie and mash, jellied eels etc. It's what sets us apart, their lack of taste and decorum

I thought about that, but it's effectively the same thing, old school takeaways. The main difference between the northern and soutthern working classes was, and is, accent (which still counts for quite a lot). We tend to be suspicious of people who don't talk like us. It's a major root of racism, more than skin colour, etc., imo. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bickster said:

WHAT! I thought fish and chips was an old school staple everywhere in the UK?   Do they really not eat fish and chips?  Or just slightly less than the rest of us?

35 minutes ago, ender4 said:

WHAT! I thought fish and chips was an old school staple everywhere in the UK?   Do they really not eat fish and chips?  Or just slightly less than the rest of us?

They eat plenty but the Oxbridge educated TV executive who commissioned the piece had probably never met any of them.

Chips probably did have more competition from pie and mash than elsewhere in the country though. 

4 hours ago, ender4 said:

I've never found a decent chippy in London, they exist but... *shakes head*

12 hours ago, bickster said:

I think you may have been referring to london in  canada 😉 as we love our fish and chips!! The pies not so much that i agree with but fish chips is loved although its bloody expensive down here these days.

6 hours ago, bickster said:

I've never found a decent chippy in London, they exist but... *shakes head*

Ill take you to a few decent ones i know 😃 for me though brighton does excellent fish and chips. So great places down there

If I’m up that London I’ll try and have something different most of the time. I’ll try and find something Lebanese or Portuguese or whatever. Something I’d struggle to find in hometown.

My go to London chippy Golden Union on Poland Street has prices I can only justify when I’m on company time. Plus, since covid they’ve stopped doing rock salmon which was my main reason for going there. They’re still good, but it’s about £20 for fish, chips and a can.

• Like 2

Â