General Chat

Stevo985

8 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

If I’m up that London I’ll try and have something different most of the time. I’ll try and find something Lebanese or Portuguese or whatever. Something I’d struggle to find in hometown.

My go to London chippy Golden Union on Poland Street has prices I can only justify when I’m on company time. Plus, since covid they’ve stopped doing rock salmon which was my main reason for going there. They’re still good, but it’s about £20 for fish, chips and a can.

See even the chippys are paved with gold

And you can get a bus home without opening them and they'll still be hot when you get home

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Ill take you to a few decent ones i know

You have no point of reference with your cocker knees, you think they are great because you've never ventured north to the frozen wastelands in case you might catch something like fiscal prudence

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I think you may have been referring to london in  canada 😉 as we love our fish and chips!! The pies not so much that i agree with but fish chips is loved although its bloody expensive down here these days.

Ill take you to a few decent ones i know 😃 for me though brighton does excellent fish and chips. So great places down there

My mind reads your posts in full on Dick Van Dyke mode 

Did you know the twins ? 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bickster said:

You have no point of reference with your cocker knees, you think they are great because you've never ventured north to the frozen wastelands in case you might catch something like fiscal prudence

Hahahaha i have actually been liverpool a few times and newcastle couple times as well as few other cities like boro and sunderland. Havent been to like the smaller towny areas, im pretty sure they would have the hidden gems that are you referring to. Also wont be as pricey as london! 

I dont like pies period 🙃

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

If I’m up that London I’ll try and have something different most of the time. I’ll try and find something Lebanese or Portuguese or whatever. Something I’d struggle to find in hometown.

My go to London chippy Golden Union on Poland Street has prices I can only justify when I’m on company time. Plus, since covid they’ve stopped doing rock salmon which was my main reason for going there. They’re still good, but it’s about £20 for fish, chips and a can.

Welcome to london life. A a absolute rip off

Just now, limpid said:

"Othering" is the root of many evils. It's the fundamental human flaw that allows religions to spread and how horrific things are justified in general.

Unfortunately, it's part of being a social species  Education is the primary tool to fix this - which is why religions are so keen to run schools.

Bingo.

4 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

But hey, only 6 people in the passport queue. 

When we went away at Easter the non-EU queue was massive, but as we had children we were asked to join the EU queue which was much smaller.

15 hours ago, bickster said:

I've never found a decent chippy in London, they exist but... *shakes head*

The best chippy around Tooting is behind the Tooting BR station, it's called the Golden Anchor. It's actually just over the CR4 boundary in Mitcham.

Before you bother with that, in Tooting Market try Green Choy's Korean fried chicken, served with rosemary and gochugaru fries plus the honey & garlic dip. Fried foodgasm. 

The Portuguese bars in the market do Super Bock for £3.50, that keeps Green Choy's organic Helles to £4 a pint. Enjoy it whilst it lasts.

There is also a pie and mash shop, Harringtons, down a road opposite the market.

@chrisp65, not been to the Golden Union in years now. I fear the pies will have gone the same way as the Patisserie Valerie custard doughnut, south 😮

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Xann said:

Before you bother with that, in Tooting Market try Green Choy's Korean fried chicken, served with rosemary and gochugaru fries plus the honey & garlic dip. Fried foodgasm. 

The Portuguese bars in the market do Super Bock for £3.50, that keeps Green Choy's organic Helles to £4 a pint. Enjoy it whilst it lasts.

The daughter really likes quite a few places in the market but her favourite (some japanese place) is no longer there.

Says she has been to the Golden Anchor and it's quite good but the curry sauce is the wrong curry sauce (we have a theory that there are generally only two varieties of chippy curry sauce in the UK)

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, bickster said:

The daughter really likes quite a few places in the market but her favourite (some japanese place) is no longer there.

Says she has been to the Golden Anchor and it's quite good but the curry sauce is the wrong curry sauce (we have a theory that there are generally only two varieties of chippy curry sauce in the UK)

Ah, that may have been Hinata? Katsu place, aaaaand we're back to chip shop curry sauce! :D

There were two menus in the week and not many dishes, but they were quality and very well prepared.

The crispy skin salmon was immense, but didn't lend itself to delivery. So I'm guessing they had a pretty lean couple of years?

Their Japanese house beer was good too.

image.jpeg.ab777041d22c151b0b22731a109f9983.jpeg

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bickster said:

Definitely a Katsu place

We miss it too. Though we quite liked the other Japanese grill in that building. We gave it a go when Hinata went. It's not as fastidiously prepared, but there's more choice.

13 minutes ago, bickster said:

Changing the subject completely. I just found out it's illegal to own more than 6 dildos in Texas

Well that’s problematic because basically anything is a dildo if you’re brave enough.

• Haha 2

Â