General Chat

Stevo985

2 hours ago, AlwaysAVFC said:

I believe they are actually advised not to go public. I've not met them but friends of the in laws won the lottery a while back and they said they they were generally advised not to, but chose to go public anyway resulting in lots of begging letters etc. I'm not sure what the motivation is to go public. I guess it's to bask in their 5 mins of fame or like you say, feel its easier than making an effort to keep it discrete.

Whether this is still the same advice I'm not sure and whether it would be the same for them with it being so much.

I just had a little google

A spokesperson for Camelot explained the decision is solely down to the individual and no pressure is put on them to step into the spotlight.

But previous winners have spoken about the difficulty of remaining anonymous, arguing it can put a bigger strain on the win than accepting the 15 minutes of fame.

This rang true for Christine Weir, who bagged £161m with her husband Colin back in 2011, and said: "We would have preferred to stay anonymous, but we recognised it wasn't a possibility," as reported by the Independent . 

"We wouldn't have been able to enjoy the experience if we had constructed lies to tell our nearest and dearest."

Mirror

7 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

The difference between staying anonymous and not. Stay anonymous, family, friends and some local gossips know. Not staying anonymous, every crank and criminal knows who you are. 

This.  Now they'll need a top-notch security team 24/7.  I feel for their family - they might well be set up for life with money but they'll always wonder who might be watching and thinking unspeakable things.   I think if I had won it, I would have quietly disappeared away somewhere for a few months.  Maybe just with a campervan or motorhome and see where it took me before pondering on what happens next.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

I guess Australia must have a shortage of spare land and not that much sunshine, otherwise they’d be absolute **** idiots not to be going down the renewables route.

The thing is, they are. It’s just that they also have all this coal, which they export (mostly) to china etc. 

There’s a huge solar project in SA and a massive battery farm to store all the coulombs. Solar panels for lecky and hot water are becoming ever more common too.

Each state has its own government and they don’t have the same priorities. Queensland seems the most pro coal, presumably because that’s where most of it is.

Mining for all kinds is a huge part of Australia’s economy and changing that mindset is never going to happen quickly, particularly with (until now) conservative governments. But the climate change effects are severe and tangible there and action to tackle it is seeming to be seen as the most important thing for most voters.

• Like 1

On 07/05/2022 at 02:30, maqroll said:

In Boston in the 70s and 80s, there was popular and controversial local sportscaster who was a notorious drunk and rumored diddler of young boys. He was eventually arrested for it and went to prison. 

Anyway, yesterday on Twitter, I commented on a post about a sketchy part of Boston that when I was 11, some guy tried to get me to follow him down an alleyway there. Guess who "liked" the comment!

Tony Robinson from 'Time Team' liked one of my tweets the other day. 

(I realise this means as little to you as sportscasters from Boston mean to me, but it's interesting when it happens eh)

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Tony Robinson from 'Time Team' liked one of my tweets the other day. 

(I realise this means as little to you as sportscasters from Boston mean to me, but it's interesting when it happens eh)

Baldrick wouldn't know a likeable tweet if it danced on tiktok singing likeable tweets are here again. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

As the youngest in my family by 6.5 years, and having unfettered access to movies I probably shouldn't have access to, I used to like the National Lampoons movies.

I was about 8 when I watched it and I'd just sit in the living room, not knowing the stuff that was being said was way over my head.

But I really liked the scene in European Vacation, where the Griswold's are in Munich for Oktoberfest and Rusty gets a girl to show him her massive boobs. 

On one occasion, I watched it, rewound it, watch it, rewound it, watched it, rewound it and my mom came in and said "I think you've watched that bit enough now" whilst laughing. 

That's a nice story innit? 

Similar here, we used to love the National Lampoons movies, and would rewatch the scene where Ellen’s jugs wobbles when she was startled in the shower 🤤 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

As the youngest in my family by 6.5 years, and having unfettered access to movies I probably shouldn't have access to, I used to like the National Lampoons movies.

I was about 8 when I watched it and I'd just sit in the living room, not knowing the stuff that was being said was way over my head.

But I really liked the scene in European Vacation, where the Griswold's are in Munich for Oktoberfest and Rusty gets a girl to show him her massive boobs. 

On one occasion, I watched it, rewound it, watch it, rewound it, watched it, rewound it and my mom came in and said "I think you've watched that bit enough now" whilst laughing. 

Beverly D'Angelo occupied a lot of my thoughts as a teen. 

• Like 1

On 22/05/2022 at 09:33, Seat68 said:

The difference between staying anonymous and not. Stay anonymous, family, friends and some local gossips know. Not staying anonymous, every crank and criminal knows who you are. 

So people wouldn’t go public with a monumentally huge lottery win, they wouldn’t have their pictures in the papers etc. Fair enough.

Would you mention it on here? Any million+ lottery win? Or would you hint at the win but never actually confirm it?

“Things that piss me off that shouldn’t? Try as I might, I can only fit a dozen bottles of Bollinger in the mini fridge on the yacht. Really annoying. Plus, I’m not sure if there’s any sand left in the Seychelles, because it all appears to be in my diamond shoes!! Amirite lads?”

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

“Things that piss me off that shouldn’t? Try as I might, I can only fit a dozen bottles of Bollinger in the mini fridge on the yacht. Really annoying. Plus, I’m not sure if there’s any sand left in the Seychelles, because it all appears to be in my diamond shoes!! Amirite lads?

Already happens

"I've just bought 17 different versions of the new Beach Boys re-release, just had to be done" ;)

• Haha 3
  • Shocked 1

3 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

You filthy deranged pervert. The depravity sickens me. 

53 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Wait what? 

In the first national lampoon's vacation film to Wally world.

Or... Is it in European vacation when Clark walks down the hallway to the bathroom to brush his teeth as a homage to psyhco (which would never happen in the States?

Hmmm.

Â