General Chat

Stevo985

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

I used to think I hated tomatoes until I had some from my neighbour's allotment. Every tomato I'd had until then was watery and flavourless. Can't be arsed with the manual labour myself, but the difference is incredible. Most fruit and veg in supermarkets is a bit shit, but tomatoes really take the piss. 

There are a lot of reasons why supermarket tomatoes are flavourless

I never buy the cheap ones, guaranteed to be shit. Always buy the top quality ones

Never store tomatoes in the fridge, they need to be left out at room temperature.

Slightly linked, my kids wouldn’t eat onion, or onion as an ingredient in anything.

So one day I made a big deal about having bought special Tesco children’s onions, which were very expensive and I was worried they might actually be a bit too sweet. So they could try them, and if they were too sweet it wasn’t a problem I’d just switch back to the cheaper ‘normal onions’.

They loved them, but used to check every meal, ‘are these children’s onions?’

Yep, tuck in.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I don't really like bananas but I put myself through the daily chore of eating one as they're meant to be rather good for you.

I also eat 7 cherry tomatoes daily, although I do really like them and tomatoes in general.  However, I never have tomatoes on a sandwich as I find them overpowering the rest of the fillings and in turn make the bread soggy. 

Thanks for listening.

• Like 1

The mention of calpol has had my mouth watering.

I went through an extended period a while back of taking codeine or cocodamol every day. I geniuinely didn't see how you get addicted to it.

But sat here now, having not taken a drop of it in, at the very least, 20 years, I am salivating and contemplating going to a pharmacy to get some Calpol. Just the thought of it. Stuff is worse than smack.

When the day comes I need to off myself I might just take out a loan, buy a van full of calpol and a funnel and just lay back pouring it in. I'd go out in bliss.

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Yep same. 

Sundried are ok. And tomatoes cooked in something is fine. Cheery tomatos are passable.

But actual normal tomatoes, uncooked (or fried as per a fried breakfast)? Rank.

They're made out to be sweet. They're not sweet

The ones grown under lights in the Netherlands and shipped on a refrigerator truck to the U.K. are not sweet. Try one from a fresh produce market in a Mediterranean country and you might reconsider. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

Calpol.

I genuinely would have slammed that stuff as a child if I could.

Shit I probably would do now.

Didn't exist when I was a kid. I do remember gripe water, which I think actually contained alcohol in those days and was lovely. 

Of the two grandchildren we currently look after, one loves Calpol and the other one hates it. 

How about Benylin cough mixture? That's pretty moreish. 

Edited by mjmooney

2 hours ago, BOF said:

I take it you know why banana 'flavoured' things are quite different to bananas? This blew my Dad's mind because he grew up loving bananas and knew they don't taste now like they did when he was a child.

We eat Cavendish bananas these days but banana 'flavouring' is historically based on the flavour of the Gros Michel variety which all but disappeared in 1965. By all accounts the Gros Michel was a tastier, sweeter, overall nicer fruit (berry, whatever).

When I was in Ghana, westerners talked about how the bananas there tasted like banana flavour. I actually thought the bananas there tasted the same as bananas here, mainly because the texture of bananas is what I experience moreso than any flavour. A pale paste shaped like a pointy penis. 

I think maybe it's that the bananas that are sent to the British Isles from... banana country... are green and they mature on the way, in the darkness of a container ship so they lose their flavour, while the Ghana bananas went green to yellow as god intended them - in the sunshine. 

7 minutes ago, YLN said:

I think maybe it's that the bananas that are sent to the British Isles from... banana country... are green and they mature on the way, in the darkness of a container ship so they lose their flavour, while the Ghana bananas went green to yellow as god intended them - in the sunshine. 

I wasn't guessing. 

4 minutes ago, BOF said:

I wasn't guessing. 

Read my second part as an answer to the question, why do bananas in Ghana taste different from bananas in Ireland, as part of the overall discussion about bananas.

It's not all about you and your Cavendish vs Gros Michel obsession. I quoted your post because it was most relevant to what I wanted to talk about, which was how some bananas taste different.

I was thinking about this the other day - it’s actually quite depressing that supermarket-bought fruit and veg is such a watered-down, bland version of the real thing. 10% of the real flavour, at a push.

I had some of my in-laws’ homegrown new potatoes and tomatoes recently and they were **** delicious. I’m not usually a big veg guy but the green beans were another level again - like a completely different food. Supermarket ones are rank but I couldn’t get enough of these. So much taste to them and about four times the size.

I pretty much loathe every mouthful when I eat shop-bought veg so I need to pull my finger out and start growing my own.

On 16/08/2021 at 17:17, mottaloo said:

I cheerily shook his hand, turned to his missus and whilst shouting "wa-HEEEEY !!!" at the top of my voice, grabbed both her boobs, then made a honk honk noise. I then finished off by giving her front bottom a playful tickle and staggered off to the toilets. On my way to the toilets, i bought a £2 bottle of hooch and told the barmaid to keep the change (from £20). I was then discovered by the bouncer 90 mins later asleep on the toilet and was gently kicked out.

Why have I only just seen this?! 

Although, I believe this was the correct way to greet a buxom wench in the ancient kingdom of Mercia. 

I mean, come on mate. Honking the norks is one thing, but then trying to double click her mouse? I'm both appalled and impressed in equal measure. 

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

When the day comes I need to off myself I might just take out a loan, buy a van full of calpol and a funnel and just lay back pouring it in. I'd go out in bliss.

I was contemplating the old classic, sexual asphyxia, but calpol does sound a nicer alternative. 

40 minutes ago, YLN said:

Read my second part as an answer to the question, why do bananas in Ghana taste different from bananas in Ireland, as part of the overall discussion about bananas.

It's not all about you and your Cavendish vs Gros Michel obsession. I quoted your post because it was most relevant to what I wanted to talk about, which was how some bananas taste different.

Ah ok. Gotcha now👍👍

FWIW eating a Gros Michel is definitely on my bucket list 😁

Has anyone been to Thomas Land at Drayton Manor? Thinking of taking the little one there but it'll cost £42 to get in and that seems steep for a 3 year old to go on some tiny roller-coasters for a few hours. Is it worth it? 

7 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Has anyone been to Thomas Land at Drayton Manor? Thinking of taking the little one there but it'll cost £42 to get in and that seems steep for a 3 year old to go on some tiny roller-coasters for a few hours. Is it worth it? 

Took my grandson when he was at the top end of 3 and he loved it. Worth every penny. Took him at 4 to Alton Towers and he hated it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

There's a day around September where everything apart from Thomas land is closed.

It's about £15 an adult and £10 for the kids.

As we're approaching that time, have a look for it because it's really good for under 6's.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

How do you guys keep track of all your website username/passwords etc? Do you use online password managers or just write them down? 

I'm constantly in a mess with my passwords... always having to reset them as I can't remember them! 

1 hour ago, Xela said:

Why have I only just seen this?! 

Although, I believe this was the correct way to greet a buxom wench in the ancient kingdom of Mercia. 

I mean, come on mate. Honking the norks is one thing, but then trying to double click her mouse? I'm both appalled and impressed in equal measure. 

Double click her mouse !! Great saying ! 

I really can't believe my appalling behaviour that night. Honestly, it was SO not me and i laid low for weeks afterwards in case this lad rounded up a few mates to dance on my head, just to prove to his girl that he really WAS angry at my actions.

She was dead fit, mind...😉

• Like 1

Â