General Chat

Stevo985

We used to go away every January with a group of friends.  One weekend away my mate made a couple of jugs of Archers Peach Schnapps, Vodka and Orange Juice.  Everyone said how brilliant it was, they were all necking the stuff like water all evening.  Not me I stuck to the beer. 

Anyway they fell like domino's, almost every one of them, full grown adults chundering all over the house. I was fine obviously. 

A few months later my mate made the same stuff at a BBQ and no one touched a drop of it.  One of my other friends says to this day she still actively gaggs if she even gets a whiff of Archers. 

• Like 1

There was nowt worse having too much then getting in bed and the room started going around and around and around. I had no cut off in terms of my drinking so being sick was regular occurrence in my early drinking years. The discovery of cocaine soon put pay to being sick off booze and the room going around and around , Although ultimately would lead on to other problems as the years went on. 

• Sad 1

Right....here's my very own "never touching that drink ever again" story...

My mate's 23rd birthday in the lovely warm month of july (back in 1984). He has a gathering in Beaumonts wine bar which was above and near the snow and rock store and around the corner from harry parkes shop on corporation st. Anyway, he gets me on the sangria, which tasted like pop. Usual story, drank loads of it, end of the night i walk outside to make my way to the night service bus home (no.46 to great barr). Night air hits me but i still get on the bus. At 12.30 am i think I'd better get off said bus cos i was gonna puke. I get off - at Newton, by the baths. There was a west indian takeaway kiosk there and both servers just watched in disgust as i chundered and chundered. Despite my near blind drunk state, i could definitely hear the kissing of teeth from their direction. Don't blame them !

I then get approached by a young man who advises i should get a taxi home and that i should follow him to the other side of the dual carriageway to the phone box outside the elbow room - via the underpass. I duly staggered after him without thinking and lucky for me, he was genuine and not out to mug me.

30 mins later I'm home and telling my teetotal irish mammy what had happened and that a nice young man had took me in the dead of night down a subway to call a cab. After dousing me in holy water, she sent me to bed with a bowl and a few gaelic swear words ringing in my ear. 37 years later i can remember it as if it was last month.

As for sangria.....it can get in the effing sea !!

Edited by mottaloo
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Xela said:

While people watching sitting in my car yesterday, enjoying my chai latte (deal with it haters)

Were you sat in the car park of your shiny, new and local Lidl ?

Just to let you know, i intend to visit that place very soon....and yes, i WILL be wearing you know whats !😉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mottaloo said:

Were you sat in the car park of your shiny, new and local Lidl ?

Just to let you know, i intend to visit that place very soon....and yes, i WILL be wearing you know whats !😉

I wasn't! I was out in the shires*, like I should be. Can't be drinking coffee in an area with a B postcode. 

Mate. 

*a retail park on the outskirts of Lichfield. 

• Haha 1

First time I puked on drink was the first time I got kicked out of somewhere as well . . . must have been about 16, went to the pub with a couple of friends, drank four pints of cider in about 40 minutes, then went to a club, got in with an unconvincing fake ID, then don't remember anything until coming to on the pavement outside, according to my mate I had been 'dancing' in a way that was more suggestive of humping the stage lol. Staggered home, mum opened the front door with an irate face, burst past her and barfed all over the hall.

I actually only started drinking cider again a couple of years ago, and I still can't drink apple cider because it tastes like vomit to me, I do enjoy the posh Annings ones you can get at the garden centre though.

6 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

There was nowt worse having too much then getting in bed and the room started going around and around and around. 

"The whirling pits" as my missus calls it. Horrible. 

The room spinning was a weekly occurrence for me, hence the strategically placed barf bucket and towel at the side of my bed. I used to drink lots of spirits and it wouldn't generally hit me properly until an hour or so after I got home, and when it hit, it was like an anvil.

Lying down in bed, belly full of spirits, topped off with cheese on toast and a cup of tea, that I had made when I got in. Well, you can imagine...

My Dad, fair play to him, never had a go at me once. 

2 hours ago, Xela said:

The room spinning was a weekly occurrence for me, hence the strategically placed barf bucket and towel at the side of my bed. I used to drink lots of spirits and it wouldn't generally hit me properly until an hour or so after I got home, and when it hit, it was like an anvil.

Lying down in bed, belly full of spirits, topped off with cheese on toast and a cup of tea, that I had made when I got in. Well, you can imagine...

My Dad, fair play to him, never had a go at me once. 

This is one thing I've noticed with my kids.  Probably every girl who attended yesterday had a whole frigging full size bottle of vodka.  Most of the tales I've heard from my kids at parties and when they themselves have been worse for wear has involved stories about Vodka. 

When I was their age it was a pint for the fella and glass of white wine/fruit-based drink for the lady.  I.e. The fellas would turn up with cans of beer and the girls would normally turn up with a bottle of wine. Probably Thunderbird or Concord.  

You MAY have occasionally seen Vodka but it would almost certainly be one of the small half size ones. 

I am wondering if this is to do with cost? That kind of stuff is so much more affordable now compared to the 80's. 

Thing is there is only so much damage you can do with beer and a bit more with wine if you can get enough of it but 1 full size bottle of vodka is going to destroy an inexperienced drinking teenager. 

Last party my daughter went to had an ambulance called out due to some girl collapsing after drinking vodka.  It's just not something to be drinking at a house party. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

Another in the spinning room camp.

back when I was 16 a night out involved getting down the pub around 20:00 on Friday and necking as much as you could before 23:00 closing and then home via the Chinese 

for perspective I did the Bermondsey beer mile last Friday that started around 11:00 am , before adjourning to see  a live band in O’Neil’s at midnight and ended with me ordering beer on room service at 4:30am 

the room didn’t spin at any point , though I did feel a little rough when we went for breakfast after check out 

it’s more about taking your time these days 

I remember being about 17 and camping in my mates back garden (no, not like that). We had a load of bottles of Metz and some cigars we’d nicked from work.

As you can imagine, we were both very sick.

Its things like that which put me off ever smoking proper.

I used to quite enjoy the room spinning but in my case it was more the weed / alcohol combo than being outright drunk, the room spinning and puking were never really that related for me.

Weed really did cut down my alcohol consumption

I've obviously puked a few times but really not that many and I don't think ever past the age of 21

• Like 2

Â