General Chat

Stevo985

16 minutes ago, Big Salad said:

Don't know if this wholly an American thing or not, but my favorite thing on a cake is pineapples or strawberries

This is why we allowed you to have independence

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

No. Bananas are OK. On their own. Anything banana flavoured is nasty. 

I actually agree with this. Banana flavoured milkshakes or ice cream is rank.

But banana bread/cake is lovely

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

No. Bananas are OK. On their own. Anything banana flavoured is nasty. As is white chocolate. 

I take it you know why banana 'flavoured' things are quite different to bananas? This blew my Dad's mind because he grew up loving bananas and knew they don't taste now like they did when he was a child.

We eat Cavendish bananas these days but banana 'flavouring' is historically based on the flavour of the Gros Michel variety which all but disappeared in 1965. By all accounts the Gros Michel was a tastier, sweeter, overall nicer fruit (berry, whatever).

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Genie said:

I like tomato sauce, tomato purée, tomato soup… but not tomatoes.

I used to think I hated tomatoes until I had some from my neighbour's allotment. Every tomato I'd had until then was watery and flavourless. Can't be arsed with the manual labour myself, but the difference is incredible. Most fruit and veg in supermarkets is a bit shit, but tomatoes really take the piss. 

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Banana flavoured milkshakes or ice cream is rank.

I'm the complete opposite. If banana shake is on the menu I will order it. Even if I wasn't ordering a shake beforehand. I absolutely love banana flavoured everything. Banana in general actually. I'm not a dessert man either, but I'll order banoffee if it's there. I'm bananas for bananas.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I used to think I hated tomatoes until I had some from my neighbour's allotment. Every tomato I'd had until then was watery and flavourless. Can't be arsed with the manual labour myself, but the difference is incredible. Most fruit and veg in supermarkets is a bit shit, but tomatoes really take the piss. 

Storing them ‘chilled’ in the supermarket or sticking them in the fridge when you get home will also kill any last remnant of taste an industrial tomato might have had.

We have a greenhouse full at the end of the garden so we just pick them once they are fully ripe but not squishy. Absolute perfection.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Genie said:

Yep same. 

Sundried are ok. And tomatoes cooked in something is fine. Cheery tomatos are passable.

But actual normal tomatoes, uncooked (or fried as per a fried breakfast)? Rank.

They're made out to be sweet. They're not sweet

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Genie said:

ditto...same as chopped tomatoes vs passata. i use passata to make a spag bol...i can't use chopped tomatoes because i can't cope with a piece of tomato

4 minutes ago, Chindie said:

I had to take a banana flavoured medicine as a child for a while and it was so foul tasting as a result I (genuinely) have never eaten a banana in my living memory.

I didn’t mind it. It tasted better than the normal medicine . 

Ooooh now that’s a good topic for discussion. Best tasting medicine. I used to love Buttercup. If only they made a drink that tasted like that. Calpol always had a nice taste as well. 

Edited by Ingram85

Just now, Ingram85 said:

Ooooh now that a good topic for discussion. Best tasting medicine. I used to love Buttercup. If only they made a drink that tasted like that. 

Calpol.

I genuinely would have slammed that stuff as a child if I could.

Shit I probably would do now.

• Haha 1

Â