The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Everything Everywhere all at once. Absolutely loved it. Deep without being cod, but covers family, nihilism, mental health, just stacks and stacks to pull out of it. Not all of it works, but it's ambition is mind blowing.

• Like 2

On 19/09/2022 at 10:58, HKP90 said:

Everything Everywhere all at once. Absolutely loved it. Deep without being cod, but covers family, nihilism, mental health, just stacks and stacks to pull out of it. Not all of it works, but it's ambition is mind blowing.

Watched it yesterday as well, very enjoyable.

Also watched Lady Bird, also very enjoyable.

Hardly ever get round to watching movies let alone two in one day!

Unintentionally both had a common theme of moms being pretty awful to their daughters. Also saw a polish Tv series on Netflix with the same recently. Is this a usual occurrence?

Edited by fightoffyour

broadcast-news-watching-recommendation-s

Broadcast News (James L. Brooks) - Basket-case network news producer Jane Craig falls for new reporter Tom Grunnick, a pretty boy who represents the trend towards entertainment news she despises. Aaron Altman, a talented but plain correspondent, carries an unrequited torch for Jane. Sparks fly between the three as the network prepares for big changes, and both the news and Jane must decide between style and substance.

3d852e4f437bd464104b1f8acf6324b4.jpg

Drowning by Numbers (Peter Greenaway) - Three related women, all named Cissie Colpitts share a solidarity for one another which brings about three copy-cat drownings. The local coroner is in love with all three women and helps to disguise the murders.

9 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

Watched it yesterday as well, very enjoyable.

Also watched Lady Bird, also very enjoyable.

Hardly ever get round to watching movies let alone two in one day!

Heard lady bird was good. I like Soioiioiiooirse Ronan. Will check it out.

• Like 1

Everything, Everywhere, All At Once is free on Prime. 

Really enjoyed it and it's a much better multiverse film than Dr Strange. 

I'll be honest though I reckon I didn't get about a quarter of what was going on. 

• Like 2

I watched "Adventures in Babysitting" the other night again. I don't know why I did but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

"Don't **** with the Babysitter!"

"Nobody leaves this place without singing the blues!"

Oh, and Elizabeth Shue back in the day 🥰

Edited by trekka
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, trekka said:

I watched "Adventures in Babysitting" the other night again. I don't know why I did but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

"Don't **** with the Babysitter!"

"Nobody leaves this place without singing the blues!"

Oh, and Elizabeth Shue back in the day 🥰

That’s weird, I always thought it was called Adventures OF babysitting.

9 minutes ago, ender4 said:

That’s weird, I always thought it was called Adventures OF babysitting.

It was called "A Night on the Town" in some countries, but yeah, always Adventures in Babysitting :).

Oh, Elisabeth Shue 🥰

Edited by trekka

2 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

Everything, Everywhere, All At Once is free on Prime. 

Really enjoyed it and it's a much better multiverse film than Dr Strange. 

I'll be honest though I reckon I didn't get about a quarter of what was going on. 

I’ve watched it three times so far. Pick up so many more elements with every watch. 

• Like 1

I was strolling through the Prime catalogue and came across a film that I had seen before but hadn't give it my proper attention. It's called Welcome To The Rileys. I have to say,  I was completely moved by two beautiful, poignant performances from James Gandolfini and Melissa Leo as grief - stricken parents and also a cute little turn from Kristen Stewart as a teenager working in a New Orleans strip club.

Well worth a view.

Last 2 days I've done the help, straight outta Compton, hidden figures and schindlers list, seen them all before, all brilliant for different reasons but because I'd seen them all before I was googling away while watching them all

I like the help, surprised at how many actors have distanced themselves from it, I don't think the white saviour argument is as strong as say the green book or that its detrimental to the film anyway, Davis and Spencer are superb 

Straight outta Compton is as good as i remember but for some reason doesn't feature as many breakout actors as I thought it did, mc ren has been in a fair bit, snoop dogg is in atlanta and gone on to be great in judas and the black messiah (watch that film!) I've been here before and I'll say now I'll go listen to NWA and ice cube... But I won't 

Hidden figures is great, again acting is top level

Schindlers list is top 5 all time greatest film ever made, tell me I'm wrong 🤷‍♂️ 2 of the greatest ever supporting actor roles ever too, watched it for about the 8th time but I saw moments where senior speilbergo used light on faces even though its in black and white and its just superb, if you said its the best film ever made I wouldnt say no even though I've read the book and I kind of know what they've done and what they haven't done most of what is missing is at least implied (the book is good) 

Â