The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

On 19/08/2022 at 20:00, sheepyvillian said:

Thought I would watch the "True Grit" remake again. So much better than the John Wayne version, imo.

I think Pauline Kael was spot - on when describing Geoff Bridges "as the most natural and least self - conscious screen actor who ever lived".

I love that film. Not a bad performance in it, and Hailey Steinfeld in particular absolutely nailed the ambivalence (strong/vulnerable) of the role. 

• Like 1

On 14/08/2022 at 17:45, leemond2008 said:

Just got back from this myself, thought it was great, it looked lovely at times, Kaluuya was brilliant for me but everyone seems to be raving about Keke Palmer and saying that she was the stand out performance.

Obviously it was a love letter to Spielberg but it threw in enough horror elements to just keep it out of the PG or 12 rating.

It was a bit of a slow burner to start with but I wasn't bored for a single second and really enjoyed all of it. 

You are right about the story strands that don't add much at all, did make me laugh though as I was walking out someone said "what was the deal with the **** monkey" I think that todays audience want to be spoon fed stuff rather than having to think about anything at all once they have finished it.

Jordan Peele isn't perfect but all 3 of his films to date have been highly enjoyable for me.

Unfortunately, given that I have young kids and most of his stuff has been (as far as I understand) adult themed, I've yet to see a Jordan Peele film. I hear they are very good, and they are on the list. 

On 13/08/2022 at 08:13, Follyfoot said:

Great film, finally got round to watching it last night. Excellent use of don’t fear the Reaper by Blue Öyster Cult, Almost as affective as its use in Stephen kings the stand at the start

A cover of it is also used in The Frighteners, I believe. Ended up on my playlist afterward.

On 14/08/2022 at 15:09, Designer1 said:

Just back from...

spacer.png

Not bad at all, a good concept that kept me entertained for its two hour plus running time.

It has plot holes galore and some of the story strands don't add much to the overall narrative, but it's a good watch.

I came here to see if there'd been any reaction to this as I saw it over the weekend. I think you've summed it up perfectly.

For much of the film I was really enjoying it but couldn't help but feel slightly let down by the end (not necessarily by the ending - just as you say, it didn't all add up to what it should/could have). Some good performances but just a little too disjointed.

The missus fell asleep when the TMZ guy turned up and my retelling of the last 30 minutes was so stupendous (I made most of it up) that she wants to go back and see it again. 

• Like 1

Decided to rewatch Amistad . It still packs a bit of a punch. Some fine acting on display, especially by Djimon Hounsou as the de - facto leader of the kidnapped Africans. Also, I enjoyed Anthony Hopkins playing John Quincy Adams as some inebriated, erudite barfly. I can't think of another actor who could actually play that role and get away with it. 

Watched Where the Crawdads Sing today. We both had thought the book pretty decent so curious about the film in spite of really negative reviews, and we thought it was... fine? Really don't see why people were so down on it. Now it has it's weakpoints and mos of them are frontloaded into the first third of the film, which probably didn't help, in that section you have weak child acting, and some fairly ripe dialogue, and throughout the score does feel fairly brazenly manipulative in trying to play up the drama, but one you get into her adult life, it's a faithful adaptation of the story, and ok, nothing remarkable about it and the courtroom drama element of it, but nevertheless a solid 6/10 film. The main actors all do a good job I thought. David Strathairn is always watchable in anything he does, and here he's playing the reliable solid defence lawyer. Daisy thingybob, her from Normal People is very good, and the supporting lot are all engaging enough in their roles. 

As I say, doesn't do anything radical at all, but it is a serviceably decent film. 

Went to see this yesterday:

spacer.png

Did exactly what it said on the tin, which is a good, no nonsense 'survival thriller'.

Streamlined plot, a story that belts along at a nice pace, some very effective and tense set pieces and a really good cast. Elba does his usual Elba thing, he doesn't have the greatest range but he does have a good screen presence, and the daughters and Copley all put in a convincing shift.

Solid stuff.

• Like 1

The Netflix home screen kept pushing Lawrence of Arabia at me like a scouser at a music festival so I thought I'd give it a go . I haven't seen it and thought  that I probably should finally tick it off the list.

I'm 10 minutes in , 9 of which were a black screen accompanied by fairground music followed by the most hilarious motorcycle accident ever committed to film.

This film won 7 Oscars ?

Are You Kidding Me GIFs | Tenor

20 minutes ago, NoelVilla said:

I Came By was not for me. Didn't like it.

I thought it was watchable but it felt more like an ITV 9pm drama. It doesn't do anything particularly new but it has enough suspense, tension and interesting scenes to justify its own existence.

There are some really weird time jumps though, the editing is far from perfect and the  "ending" was just too quick, and lacked the emotional punch that it should have had.

It was almost as if it needed to be under two hours, someone forgot this and then realised, so wrapped it up quickly?

All in all it was ok but easily forgettable. 

• Like 1

Saw Nope at the weekend, having successfully navigated seeing nothing other than the teaser trailer going in.

Here's my no-context review:

image.thumb.png.3002ba6b2b07d9697cbb142dfec38799.png

It was bonkers in the best way and I absolutely bloody loved it.  I audibly squealed in delight at the...

...Kaneda slide!

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, GarethRDR said:

Saw Nope at the weekend, having successfully navigated seeing nothing other than the teaser trailer going in.

Here's my no-context review:

image.thumb.png.3002ba6b2b07d9697cbb142dfec38799.png

It was bonkers in the best way and I absolutely bloody loved it.  I audibly squealed in delight at the...

Hide contents

...Kaneda slide!

Best VT review in ages, @Chindie will be panicking when he sees that he isn't the only Roger Ebert around.

• Haha 1

Will-Success-Spoil-Rock-Hunter-2.jpg?k=2

Will Success Spoil Rock Hunter? (Frank Tashlin) - Colorful and inventive satire on celebrity culture and advertising, great fun to watch, has a cartoon quality to it.

image-w1280.jpg

For All Mankind (Al Reinert) - Documentary on the Apollo lunar missions, enjoyed it.

Edited by useless

On 11/08/2022 at 20:10, Xela said:

Lets hope the Predator doesn't piss him off in a Happy Eater! 

"You faaackin no good ugly reptile caaaaannt!"

There's a new Footsoldier film in the works.

Started filming mate. Revenge apparently figures heavily. Should be brilliant

• Thanks 1

Â