The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

On 14/08/2022 at 21:05, Ingram85 said:

The Meg has just started on 5Star. Top daft fun film 👍

A film that I think misses a trick in being watered down and sanitised for global audiences. A 15 rated version of that film would have been far more fun

• Like 2

On 14/08/2022 at 17:45, leemond2008 said:

Just got back from this myself, thought it was great, it looked lovely at times, Kaluuya was brilliant for me but everyone seems to be raving about Keke Palmer and saying that she was the stand out performance.

Obviously it was a love letter to Spielberg but it threw in enough horror elements to just keep it out of the PG or 12 rating.

It was a bit of a slow burner to start with but I wasn't bored for a single second and really enjoyed all of it. 

You are right about the story strands that don't add much at all, did make me laugh though as I was walking out someone said "what was the deal with the **** monkey" I think that todays audience want to be spoon fed stuff rather than having to think about anything at all once they have finished it.

Jordan Peele isn't perfect but all 3 of his films to date have been highly enjoyable for me.

didn't know this was already out. keen to see it as absolutely loved get out

didn't even know he has a 3rd film so have to check that out

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

first trip to the flicks in ages and saw Bullet Train  with the boy over the weekend

overlooking the director wanting to be Guy Ritchie , it was a great fun film , really enjoyed it , nice sprinkling of humour mixed with gory death  ... also made me want to go back to japan for a trip 

I think it best described as a "romp". A big, daft, nonsense film for which suspension of disbelief is paramount. Possibly 20 minutes too long but a whole heap of fun.

• Like 2

tumblr_o18fxyzn9S1snmmclo1_500.gifgiphy.gif?cid=790b7611b0f14fe6049b17cf64

Les Vampires (Louis Feuillade) - Hard to follow at times, but great in many ways, has an otherwordly feel, and I don't that's just because it's over 100 years old.

5dgT9qdrvtMtWkWHXfRqrM.jpg

Irma Vep 2022 (Olivier Assayas) - Enjoyed it, reminded me in some ways of Jacques Rivett film, being about film making, and fantasy and reality blurring together.

MV5BZTI1N2Y2YWYtY2NjMC00MmVjLWE4MmMtYTU0

Juliet Dans Paris (Claude Miller) - Juliet Berto namechecked in the above, so Rivette link not an accident, Phantom Lady Over Paris, she had good presence in this.

Watched Dunkirk on Prime tonight, definitely do enjoy it. Nearly followed it up with the Poseidon Adventure but thought two water related films might be a bit too much. Going to watch Edge of Tomorrow again instead 

Thought I would watch the "True Grit" remake again. So much better than the John Wayne version, imo.

I think Pauline Kael was spot - on when describing Geoff Bridges "as the most natural and least self - conscious screen actor who ever lived".

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

Watching this one again. Amazed hardly anyone has heard of it as  it has a great cast and is very funny. spacer.png

Blimey. Such a terrible piece of shit 😁

8 hours ago, Designer1 said:

Blimey. Such a terrible piece of shit 😁

Disagree. Very Python like in it's humour and has Pegg and Robin Williams adding their styles as well. I've recommended it to several people who've all enjoyed it (all open enough to tell me if they didn't). 

Plus Beckinsale is always worth a watch. 

14 hours ago, theunderstudy said:

Watched Dunkirk on Prime tonight, definitely do enjoy it. Nearly followed it up with the Poseidon Adventure but thought two water related films might be a bit too much. Going to watch Edge of Tomorrow again instead 

I like Edge of Tomorrow, but with perhaps an alternative ending (not sure)?  Is it an underrated film, possibly? Certainly an enjoyable sci-fi/action flick for me.

On 13/07/2022 at 08:33, Stevo985 said:

Saw "Elvis" on the weekend. I really really enjoyed it. Probably helped that I knew almost nothing about him beyond the bare minimum. I assume a lot of the film is exaggerated but it made it very interesting for me.

I watched Elvis last night and enjoyed it. It did occur to me that it’s 2.5 hours long but barely goes into anything in detail. They probably could make 5 or 6 movies of that length and still be light on detail.

2 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

Disagree. Very Python like in it's humour and has Pegg and Robin Williams adding their styles as well. I've recommended it to several people who've all enjoyed it (all open enough to tell me if they didn't). 

Plus Beckinsale is always worth a watch. 

Yeah as always, movies are very much 'to each their own'.

I gave it a go when it first came out despite the general consensus that it was a dumpster fire because I like Pegg and Python, but I found it desperately unfunny and a pale imitation of Bruce Almighty. Definitely the worst film I saw that year.

Disappointing considering the talent involved but there you go.

Thanks to @sne for bringing this one to my attention.

Thought it was a really well put together movie with an inventive, orginal story.

The main four kids, none of whom had acted before are phenomenal. 

spacer.png

• Thanks 1

On 07/08/2022 at 13:57, Designer1 said:

Yeah, Orphan First Kill. Out this year.

Off to see this tonight.

Got some good reviews too, which for a horror sequel/prequel is pretty rare.

Looking forward to it.

On 16/08/2022 at 09:56, tonyh29 said:

first trip to the flicks in ages and saw Bullet Train  with the boy over the weekend

overlooking the director wanting to be Guy Ritchie , it was a great fun film , really enjoyed it , nice sprinkling of humour mixed with gory death 

Same for us,  can't even remember the last movie we saw at the cinema. 

Agree about the Guy Ritchie comparison but I like his earlier stuff,  thought Bullet Train was good and Pitt is always worth a watch. 

Â