The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

48 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

I was a bit intrigued by the trailers for this, it looked like it had potential but by all accounts it’s not very good. I’ll give it a miss I think. 

I'm weary that the circus surrounding the film was all a publicity stunt to trick people in to watching a bad film

• Like 1

1 hour ago, It's Your Round said:

I’ve just finished it. It’s very harrowing stuff, but so realistic. One of the best war films I’ve ever seen. 

It's an amazing performance from the young lead too. The way he ages is incredible.

• Like 1

karencarpenter1.jpg

Superstar: The Karen Carpenter story (Todd Haynes) - Uses Barbie and Ken dolls to tell the story of Karen Carpenter from the beginning of her fame, has some humor, but also very moving, I really liked it.

MV5BOTg3NzVmYzQtYWVjNS00ZDkxLTlkNTktZDRh

Four Adventures of Reinette and Mirabelle (Éric Rohmer) - I liked this a great deal, the two main characters were great with a lot of charm.

Looks mind blowing crazy impressive to switch players

Looks like a ps5 game to the rest of us...

Not what I was expecting, they can obviously do a lot worse with Mario but seriously that looks like something I'd expect from a ps5 game cutscene not a Hollywood film, might have to watch a bit of ratchet and clank to see if there is a difference in quality

52 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Looks mind blowing crazy impressive to switch players

Looks like a ps5 game to the rest of us...

Not what I was expecting, they can obviously do a lot worse with Mario but seriously that looks like something I'd expect from a ps5 game cutscene not a Hollywood film, might have to watch a bit of ratchet and clank to see if there is a difference in quality

At least Bob Hoskins is not in it 

Hellraiser 2022 poster.png

Just this second finished it so this might be a bit befuddled but...

I really enjoyed it, probably the 3rd or 4th best Hellraiser in the franchise out of the 11 films but lets be serious, that is an extremely low bar isn't it.

There were some pretty big changes to the original (aside from Pinhead but we'll get to that later) it was mainly in the cenobites motivations and the way that the lament configuration worked, I really wasn't a fan of that.

Spoiler

Basically every time that part of the puzzle is completed the cenobites are called, but the person in possession of the box can pass the sacrifice on to anyone that they choose just by stabbing them with the box, originally it was all about desire, this just kind of turned it into a cenobite version of It Follows

I actually didn't mind the characters in it, you had the main girl Riley who felt like she was clearly modelled (especially in the beginning) on Zendaya as Rue in Euphoria, the frizzy haired bedraggled look, but she was pretty good as the film went on, a little bit too "yeah I'm the main character and even though I'm scared I'm not actually going to really lose my shit" she was a little bit too cool for school, her pal went against all stereotypes by instantly believing what she was saying and by getting on board with it almost immediately.

I wasn't a massive fan of the cenobites and their new look, they were a little too alien looking, I'm sure that some people will say that the cenobites have gone "woke" because they are pretty much all feminine looking, that didn't bother me, I just didn't think that they looked all that great at times, I couldn't help but want the BDSM sex monsters back.

As for Jamie Clayton she did do a really good job of reinventing pinhead/the hell priest, my only complaint is that she was too robotic, there was no charisma in her voice, even in the first film before Pinhead became a caricature of himself, he had that power and charisma in his voice and performance, but Clayton had a thankless task, she couldn't copy Doug Bradley and she had to do something different and I think that as a massive fan of the original she was always going to come in second place.

The first half of the film did a great job of just teasing the cenobites rather than just throwing them in in all of their glory, second half of the film was a little different but that is to be expected I suppose

The score was brilliant, I really like the fact that they went back to the original for that.

A few other things that are spoilery...

Spoiler

There weren't any shocks, I knew that her fella was gunna be a bad bastard, mainly because of what I said earlier, he was just too willing to believe her

I knew that Roland was going to be alive and was expecting him to be full on half cenobite rather than just having a big clock thing shoved through his chest

They did my boy Chatterer dirty in a big way, that annoyed the hell out of me and just seemed completely pointless

The cenobite conversion at the end was pretty cool and while I was fully expecting a scene like that (mainly because we were treated to it in Hellraiser 2) I thought that they could have done a bit more with it

No Butterball

Again, I miss the BDSM sex monsters

There were a few nice Easter Eggs in there, when the dude is shagging Riley and he puts his fingers in her mouth, definitely a nod to the Chatterer and Kirsty from the first film, there were a few other quotes that were thrown in as well

All in all I give this 7.5 she-pinheads out of 13 lament configurations

And just for the sake of nostalgia 

Edited by leemond2008
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, leemond2008 said:

Hellraiser 2022 poster.png

Just this second finished it so this might be a bit befuddled but...

I really enjoyed it, probably the 3rd or 4th best Hellraiser in the franchise out of the 11 films but lets be serious, that is an extremely low bar isn't it.

There were some pretty big changes to the original (aside from Pinhead but we'll get to that later) it was mainly in the cenobites motivations and the way that the lament configuration worked, I really wasn't a fan of that.

Reveal hidden contents

Basically every time that part of the puzzle is completed the cenobites are called, but the person in possession of the box can pass the sacrifice on to anyone that they choose just by stabbing them with the box, originally it was all about desire, this just kind of turned it into a cenobite version of It Follows

I actually didn't mind the characters in it, you had the main girl Riley who felt like she was clearly modelled (especially in the beginning) on Zendaya as Rue in Euphoria, the frizzy haired bedraggled look, but she was pretty good as the film went on, a little bit too "yeah I'm the main character and even though I'm scared I'm not actually going to really lose my shit" she was a little bit too cool for school, her pal went against all stereotypes by instantly believing what she was saying and by getting on board with it almost immediately.

I wasn't a massive fan of the cenobites and their new look, they were a little too alien looking, I'm sure that some people will say that the cenobites have gone "woke" because they are pretty much all feminine looking, that didn't bother me, I just didn't think that they looked all that great at times, I couldn't help but want the BDSM sex monsters back.

As for Jamie Clayton she did do a really good job of reinventing pinhead/the hell priest, my only complaint is that she was too robotic, there was no charisma in her voice, even in the first film before Pinhead became a caricature of himself, he had that power and charisma in his voice and performance, but Clayton had a thankless task, she couldn't copy Doug Bradley and she had to do something different and I think that as a massive fan of the original she was always going to come in second place.

The first half of the film did a great job of just teasing the cenobites rather than just throwing them in in all of their glory, second half of the film was a little different but that is to be expected I suppose

The score was brilliant, I really like the fact that they went back to the original for that.

A few other things that are spoilery...

Reveal hidden contents

There weren't any shocks, I knew that her fella was gunna be a bad bastard, mainly because of what I said earlier, he was just too willing to believe her

I knew that Roland was going to be alive and was expecting him to be full on half cenobite rather than just having a big clock thing shoved through his chest

They did my boy Chatterer dirty in a big way, that annoyed the hell out of me and just seemed completely pointless

The cenobite conversion at the end was pretty cool and while I was fully expecting a scene like that (mainly because we were treated to it in Hellraiser 2) I thought that they could have done a bit more with it

No Butterball

Again, I miss the BDSM sex monsters

There were a few nice Easter Eggs in there, when the dude is shagging Riley and he puts his fingers in her mouth, definitely a nod to the Chatterer and Kirsty from the first film, there were a few other quotes that were thrown in as well

All in all I give this 7.5 she-pinheads out of 13 lament configurations

And just for the sake of nostalgia 

I just watched it, it’s okay I guess not awful, not brilliant.

1 hour ago, andyjsg said:

I just watched it, it’s okay I guess not awful, not brilliant.

Yeah I get that, for every good there was a bad, but, that is a mahooooosive improvement on the absolute dross that hellraiser has served up, bang average is a pretty big **** win for this franchise 

9 hours ago, leemond2008 said:

Yeah I get that, for every good there was a bad, but, that is a mahooooosive improvement on the absolute dross that hellraiser has served up, bang average is a pretty big **** win for this franchise 

Very very true, I remember turning one off after 20 mins a few years back.

Looks like all of the Purge films are being played on Sky Movies, just put it on at the end of the first film, this'll keep me entertained for a while, I actually enjoyed all of these films apart from the most recent one which was absolutely **** terrible

4 minutes ago, leemond2008 said:

Looks like all of the Purge films are being played on Sky Movies, just put it on at the end of the first film, this'll keep me entertained for a while, I actually enjoyed all of these films apart from the most recent one which was absolutely **** terrible

The forever purge?

Â