The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Just now, Follyfoot said:

Agree, by far the worst. Added nothing to the franchise

I know that The Purge has always relied heavily on politics but The Forever Purge was just far too heavy handed to the point, it came out just after America was going into meltdown with the Trump/Racism shit being everywhere, it just didn't feel like a Purge film at all and the stereotypes were just too blatant, with the other films you could watch the film first and then ignore the politics and messages and just enjoy it for what it was, Forever Purge beat you around the head with the message to the point that was prioritized (poorly) ahead of the film.

I know that The Purge isn't the greatest franchise ever, not by a long shot but they are enjoyable enough, I really enjoyed the 3rd film which I think was the most poorly regarded (before The Forever Purge)

• Like 1

On 18/09/2022 at 10:23, sne said:

Well this was a fairly uncomfortable watch, heights is not my thing.

Fall (2022) - IMDb

Watched this last night, I have finally found a film that put me on edge and had me genuinely feeling uncomfortable.

I am absolutely terrible with heights but it's weird because when I was a kid, they never bothered me at all, it was only when I was in my mid to late 20's that I realised that I am a massive pussy when it comes to looking over a ledge that it more than 10ft high.

Fall certainly wasn't the best film ever, the beginning really annoyed me with the bird who was drowning in a pit of self-despair, I just didn't think it was done very well, she was pretty **** annoying, and so was her pal...what was her name...Dangerous D or sommet like that.

Once the film got going and they arrived at the radio tower I was already feeling on edge, I was watching in bed and some scenes had my body tensing up and saying out loud "**** nahhhh" 

You have to completely suspend belief for the majority of the film and just take it for what it is for a lot of it, there are some ridiculous decisions, some unbelievable feats and some downright unlucky scenarios.

The high point of the film (pun intended) was definitely the middle, the actual climb to the top and the first 10 or 15 minutes when they are at the very top, after that I think I had acclimatised to the sheer height that they had scaled, and I felt the tension dissipate after they had taken on some truly ludicrous jumps and stunts.

One thing that I did think was interesting was that apparently there were over 30 F bombs in the film but when it was picked up by Lionsgate they used AI to alter the movement of their mouths so they could edit them out and make it into a PG rated film.

Overall, suspend believe, embrace the stoopid decisions and you'll think that this is alright, it certainly isn't brilliant but it was good enough and for someone that doesn't like heights at all they managed to give me a touch of vertigo while lying flat in my bed 

• Like 2

On 07/10/2022 at 22:04, andyjsg said:

I just watched it, it’s okay I guess not awful, not brilliant.

I think the acting in it was good, not a bad performance from any of the cast, the scene in the back of the truck when they see what's happening in the mirror was the best, but it was far to long imo

Watched Licorice Pizza over the weekend and was really disappointed considering the hype it had. It looked good, I thought Alana Haim was excellent considering it's her first major job, but the storyline was just a bit naff tbh.

7 minutes ago, Milfner said:

Watched Licorice Pizza over the weekend and was really disappointed considering the hype it had. It looked good, I thought Alana Haim was excellent considering it's her first major job, but the storyline was just a bit naff tbh.

Dragged on too long although I enjoyed the performances from both the main actors, Alana Haim and Cooper Hoffmann, the son of Phillip Seymour-Hoffman 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Milfner said:

The story line was largely autobiographical with some tweaks, as I understand it.  I thought both the leads were very good considering they were both debuts.

adam-driver-the-dead.gif

The Dead Don't Die (Jim Jarmusch) - Not bad, don't think it's trying to be anything significant, just a laid back comedy, which I think works in it's favor.

N6Ka.gif

Young Adult (Jason Reitman) - Good performance from Charlize Theron.

• Like 1

Watched Vesper which is a weird Sci Fi film but was pretty good 6.5/10. Also watched Bullet Train which I was skeptical about after not thinking much of the trailer but I really **** enjoyed it and it made me laugh way more than I thought it would 7.5/10

58 minutes ago, Bizzzle said:

Watched Vesper which is a weird Sci Fi film but was pretty good 6.5/10. Also watched Bullet Train which I was skeptical about after not thinking much of the trailer but I really **** enjoyed it and it made me laugh way more than I thought it would 7.5/10

Vesper was ok, decent story. 6.5 /10

Nope was ok to start and then descended into a bit of a farce. 5.5/10

• Like 1

Stanley Kubrick film rankings after I watched them in chronological order

Eyes Wide Shut - I wasn't expecting this to be first, maybe recency bias at play because I watched it last, but I love the sparkling lights in the background of most scenes, and the dreamy atmosphere of the film as an whole, great sense of mystery to it as well, has a lot of the elments that I particularly like in films.

Barry Lyndon - Three hour film but story-line is pretty engrossing, going to have to read the book one day, also very painterly to look at, a lot of films get described as such but it's perhaps more so the case with this one than any other film I've seen.

2001: A Space Odyssey - I watched this previously and didn't like it, so was surprised by how much I liked it this time, maybe I hadn't seen it after all and got it mixed up with another film, visually stunning and great mix of visuals with soundtrack.

The Shining - I left off watching this for a long time because the 'here's Johnny' scene in isolation made me thing it was the kind of film that I wouldn't like, but as with Eyes Wide Shut it actually has a lot of elements that I especially like, also all the performances were really great.

Paths of Glory - Good film, I especially liked the court scenes.

Dr Strangelove - Another one that I watched a while back and wasn't keen on but liked it better this time.

The Killing - Entertaining film noir, apparently an influence on Reservoir Dogs, I liked it, and feel if it wasn't directed by Kubrick in a strange way might have got more attention, but as it is in comparison to his other films maybe doesn't get as much attention as it deserves.

A Clockwork Orange - Obviously a very good film, and great performance by Malcom McDowell, thought provoking as well, but not sure how many times I'd rewatch it as really grim.

Lolita - Something to watch.

Full Metal Jacket - I liked the first forty-five minutes but not the rest of the film, and maybe those first forty-five minutes would get old on rewatches, R Lee Ermey and Vincent D'Onofrio as Sgt Hartman and Pyle were the best thing about the movie.

Spartacus - I don't normally like these kind of epics, so was surprised that I was quite enjoying this to begin with, but gradually got a little bored with it, although can appreciate it's a good movie just not the kind I usually like.

Fear and Desire - Early 'ameteur' film, not bad some interesting idea's going on, could see some promise at this early stage.

Killer's Kiss - Film noir, with some nice scenes shot in New York City which are almost like documentary footage.

Edited by useless

Michael Myers and Laurie Strode stand back-to-back in a dark, smokey, and flame sparked background.

Going to put this on in an hour or so, looking forward to the final (lol) Myers film,I haven't so much as watched a single trailer for it so I have no idea what to expect, the one and only thing that I know is that it goes in a completely different direction to the other Halloween films, now I don't know if this just means the original, 2018 and Kills or the franchise on a whole but I'm interested to see what they mean.

As with most Halloween films, I'm not expecting too much even though I'm looking forward to it, if I can give it a 7/10 then I'll be really happy

13 hours ago, leemond2008 said:

Michael Myers and Laurie Strode stand back-to-back in a dark, smokey, and flame sparked background.

Going to put this on in an hour or so, looking forward to the final (lol) Myers film,I haven't so much as watched a single trailer for it so I have no idea what to expect, the one and only thing that I know is that it goes in a completely different direction to the other Halloween films, now I don't know if this just means the original, 2018 and Kills or the franchise on a whole but I'm interested to see what they mean.

As with most Halloween films, I'm not expecting too much even though I'm looking forward to it, if I can give it a 7/10 then I'll be really happy

Oh man, that was awful, I can't even be bothered to go into too much because I just thought it was that bad.

It looks alright, the dialogue is laughably bad at times, the film is boring and dull, the "twist" was ridiculous and poorly explained, the characters motives and/or decisions were ludicrous and nonsensical.

I reckon if you spliced this with Halloween Kills then you would probably get a decent movie out of it but after watching the whole trilogy, they should have just left it at Halloween 2018.

Also LOL at Pennywise Myers

• Sad 1

image-w1280.jpg?1481151943

She Spent So Many Hours Under the Sun Lamps (Phillipe Garrel) -  It had some good moments, and was edited and shot in an intersting way.

Moving%20(1993)-1200-1200-675-675-crop-0

Moving (Shinji Sōmai) - Very good film and great performance from the young child actor in the lead role.

1188267_Black-Coal-Thin-Ice.jpeg

Black Coal, Thin Ice (Diao Yinan) - Good noir, visually very good, put in mind of other films like Long Days Journey into Night and Ash is Purest White, and Drive.

8 hours ago, leemond2008 said:

Oh man, that was awful, I can't even be bothered to go into too much because I just thought it was that bad.

It looks alright, the dialogue is laughably bad at times, the film is boring and dull, the "twist" was ridiculous and poorly explained, the characters motives and/or decisions were ludicrous and nonsensical.

I reckon if you spliced this with Halloween Kills then you would probably get a decent movie out of it but after watching the whole trilogy, they should have just left it at Halloween 2018.

Also LOL at Pennywise Myers

Yeah, it’s shockingly bad. A horrible, boring, mess of a movie. It’s almost like they didn’t really know what to do with it, and then just muddled through, before realising it was totally dire so dragged it along without much thought. Awful. 

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Halloween ends was absolutely terrible.

What a shite film to end the franchise

It really was wasn't it, I've heard some people saying that they thought it was great, I struggle to see how that is the send off that Michael or Laurie deserved, after such a promising start with 2018 only to be given the mediocre Kills (which did have some really cool bits but was sidetracked by the entire "Evil Dies Tonight" nonsense) for them to somehow serve up Ends and expect the fans to lap it up.

Everything about it was ham fisted, poorly explained, nonsensical and most of all just downright boring 

Just watched Mr Harrigan's Phone on Netflix. Despite the best efforts of Mr Sutherland, I thought it was pretty weak if I'm honest. Not one of the better Stephen King adaptations. 

41 minutes ago, leemond2008 said:

It really was wasn't it, I've heard some people saying that they thought it was great, I struggle to see how that is the send off that Michael or Laurie deserved, after such a promising start with 2018 only to be given the mediocre Kills (which did have some really cool bits but was sidetracked by the entire "Evil Dies Tonight" nonsense) for them to somehow serve up Ends and expect the fans to lap it up.

Everything about it was ham fisted, poorly explained, nonsensical and most of all just downright boring 

Spoiler

The whole storyline was a utter mess. What was the purpose of the Corey charchter? It was a wierd direction to put him in.

Then he was "hiding" in some sewers for years. Why would he hide? No explanation at all.

The killings as you say were awful and looked like a bit of a budget film.

Then the way she finally took him out stabbing him to a table and taking him out so easily considering this a mass murderer that has evaded death for how many years.

I think personally him and laurie should have had a fight and both gone  into the meat grinder. That wokld have been a better ending that they went out together. Even thee ending of halloween kills when all the town folks were fighting him woild have been better ending than this.

It was just very lame.  

7 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:
  Hide contents

The whole storyline was a utter mess. What was the purpose of the Corey charchter? It was a wierd direction to put him in.

Then he was "hiding" in some sewers for years. Why would he hide? No explanation at all.

The killings as you say were awful and looked like a bit of a budget film.

Then the way she finally took him out stabbing him to a table and taking him out so easily considering this a mass murderer that has evaded death for how many years.

I think personally him and laurie should have had a fight and both gone  into the meat grinder. That wokld have been a better ending that they went out together. Even thee ending of halloween kills when all the town folks were fighting him woild have been better ending than this.

It was just very lame.  

Spoiler

I don't mind them passing the mantle of Myers to a new character, everything was just so convenient and poorly done though.

Out of all of the people in Haddonfield Michael stumbles on Corey who is in the midst of an utterly unbelievable relationship with Laurie Strodes granddaughter Allyson, oh ho hum, that really is convenient isn't it.

I still think the worst part was when he went back to see  ̷p̷e̷n̷n̷y̷w̷i̷s̷e̷ Myers in the sewer and he just knocked him over and stole his mask, that was absolutely pathetic, the scene where Myers ejaculated after killing the cop dude was pretty laughable as well, I was just waiting for the blue sparks and for him to suddenly say "there can be only one" 

Â