The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

image-w1280.jpg?1586020754

The Small Back Room (Pressburger and Powell) - Very good, Kathleen Byron and David Farrar were great.

e983035a5a04b5f7b561de1de99e131f017f717e 

Sleepwalk (Sara Driver) - Has a strange dream like uncanny feel to it, both Sara Driver films I've seen recently have been great.

image-w1280.jpg?1549918829

Manuel on the Island of Wonders (Raúl Ruiz) - Great, one of the best films if not the best I've watched this year, lots of enchanting moments, supposedly a children's movie, but is like if someone like Jacques Rivette made a children's movie, which stands to reason I guess as he and Ruiz are often compared to each other.

• Like 1

On 22/09/2022 at 22:45, villa4europe said:

Last 2 days I've done the help, straight outta Compton, hidden figures and schindlers list, seen them all before, all brilliant for different reasons but because I'd seen them all before I was googling away while watching them all

I like the help, surprised at how many actors have distanced themselves from it, I don't think the white saviour argument is as strong as say the green book or that its detrimental to the film anyway, Davis and Spencer are superb 

Straight outta Compton is as good as i remember but for some reason doesn't feature as many breakout actors as I thought it did, mc ren has been in a fair bit, snoop dogg is in atlanta and gone on to be great in judas and the black messiah (watch that film!) I've been here before and I'll say now I'll go listen to NWA and ice cube... But I won't 

Hidden figures is great, again acting is top level

Schindlers list is top 5 all time greatest film ever made, tell me I'm wrong 🤷‍♂️ 2 of the greatest ever supporting actor roles ever too, watched it for about the 8th time but I saw moments where senior speilbergo used light on faces even though its in black and white and its just superb, if you said its the best film ever made I wouldnt say no even though I've read the book and I kind of know what they've done and what they haven't done most of what is missing is at least implied (the book is good) 

You are not wrong. 

Even if some of Spielberg's later work feels rushed or undercooked, that was his magnum opus.

It's probably in my top 2.

Edited by HKP90
  • Like 1

I just watched Athena on Netflix which was released yesterday. Can confirm this is the Film of the Year. 
Make sure you watch in the original french language with English subtitles 

Kind regards,
M11

Edited by messi11
  • Like 1

Just sat down with kids to watch into the Spiderverse with the kids. I'd missed it as I thought it was going to be a kiddy film, but it was brilliant. Possibly the best Spiderman film ever made. Loved it.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, messi11 said:

I just watched Athena on Netflix which was released yesterday. Can confirm this is the Film of the Year. 
Make sure you watch in the original french language with English subtitles 

Kind regards,
M11

More on Athena. If you are a fan of La Haine, Elite Squad or City of God this is the film for you!
The first 10 mins opening scene is incredible! 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, messi11 said:

More on Athena. If you are a fan of La Haine, Elite Squad or City of God this is the film for you!
The first 10 mins opening scene is incredible! 

City of God is great so I will add Athena to my list.

• Like 1

Realise I am about 35 years late to the party on this but watched Top Gun last night for the first time, although had seen bits before but never watched all the way through. Enjoyed it then immediately after watched Top Gun Maverick which I thought was really good with some amazing flight scenes. . 

• Like 1

Two men, one elderly and one young, stand in front of a lighthouse with stern looks as seagulls fly overhead.

Todays film, loved this the first time I watched it and I've been desperate to watch it again ever since just haven't got round to it. I've just had the bluray delivered though so I'm going to stick it on.

Also ordered Get Out on Bluray to be delivered in a few days, Im gunna have to compile a list of my horror films again, it will have grown by quite a bit since I last done it

• Like 1

3UGpGYNzHioVMuHLrtPy0MghmJ4-1200-1200-67

The Man Who Left His Will On Film (Nagisa Ōshima) - Interesting mystery film from the Japanese New Wave, I liked it, brought to mind other films I like, but is also quite unique.

MV5BZDZlNTM0OWQtNjdhNC00YmY0LTk5N2YtM2Fj

Slack Bay (Bruno Dumont) - This was better than I was expecting as I don't see it talked about much, Not as good as the other Dumont films I've seen recently, but still entertaining.

MV5BZTVmYTZiNWYtNGY2MS00NmNjLWFhYTktZmU4

Girlfriends - (Claudia Weill) - I enjoyed it, I read afterwards that Stanley Kubrick apparently raved about it.

Screen_Shot_2020-04-07_at_2.45.56_PM.png

Safe (Todd Haynes) - Very good, wasn't sure at first but it got better and better and stayed on my mind after it had finished.

Â