The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Good film on terrestrial TV last night "official  Secrets", all about Kathrine Gun who broke the official secrets act by telling a newspaper about the Bugging the UN by the NSA. She was finally charged after nearly a year. I knew about this story, although what I didn't know is how she got off in court. Although I respect her reasons for doing it, if you are in the position she was in working for GCHQ, signing the secrets act etc, I did not agree with her blagging information to the newspapers, especially after getting off in court then saying she had no regrets and would do it again. So glad she moved to Turkey with her husband and not employed again. She would obviously be a threat to national security.

Spoiler

Apparently she the called the NSA's bluff in that, they would have had to produce classified information as evidence, (that the war in Iraq was actually not illegal) which they wasn't willing to do, so they had no defense and had to drop all charges.

Edited by foreveryoung
  • Like 3

A-view-of-Gotham-City-in-The-Batman.jpg?

The Batman - I thought it was a towering masterpiece in comparsion to any of other Batman movies I've seen, and a very good movie in it's own right, I especially liked the way it looked, the sound, the atmosphere, the way the city felt like a character and so on, almost like a tone poem movie, but there was a decent enough storyline to follow too, and some decent enough performances, I particularly like Jeffrey Wright I thought he did a very good of being comical but in a very subtle way.

Edited by useless
  • Like 1

On 19/04/2022 at 19:39, foreveryoung said:

Good film on terrestrial TV last night "official  Secrets", all about Kathrine Gun who broke the official secrets act by telling a newspaper about the Bugging the UN by the NSA. She was finally charged after nearly a year. I knew about this story, although what I didn't know is how she got off in court. Although I respect her reasons for doing it, if you are in the position she was in working for GCHQ, signing the secrets act etc, I did not agree with her blagging information to the newspapers, especially after getting off in court then saying she had no regrets and would do it again. So glad she moved to Turkey with her husband and not employed again. She would obviously be a threat to national security.

Reveal hidden contents

Apparently she the called the NSA's bluff in that, they would have had to produce classified information as evidence, (that the war in Iraq was actually not illegal) which they wasn't willing to do, so they had no defense and had to drop all charges.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katharine_Gun

Went to see the new Nicholas Cage film tonight where he plays an exaggerated version of himself. It was surprisingly really good and funny. About time he made a decent film. This might see a comeback. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mrchnry said:

Went to see the new Nicholas Cage film tonight where he plays an exaggerated version of himself. It was surprisingly really good and funny. About time he made a decent film. This might see a comeback. 

I wonder if the internet will be interested in this.............

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, mrchnry said:

Off to see this today. It looks daft and entertaining in equal measures 🙂

The Uncharted movie was OK-ish I guess. Hard to totally fail with a high budget treasure hunt blockbuster.

The casting is terrible, the actions scenes are way over the top silly, the story in the story makes no sense and it all feels like a wasted opportunity.

Still it's an OK Sunday movie. But pretty much every other movie in the same category like National Treasure, Lara Croft, Tintin and so on is better. And that's not counting the classics.

48 minutes ago, sne said:

The Uncharted movie was OK-ish I guess. Hard to totally fail with a high budget treasure hunt blockbuster.

The casting is terrible, the actions scenes are way over the top silly, the story in the story makes no sense and it all feels like a wasted opportunity.

Still it's an OK Sunday movie. But pretty much every other movie in the same category like National Treasure, Lara Croft, Tintin and so on is better. And that's not counting the classics.

I actually enjoyed it for the popcorn movie it was.

I didn’t mind either Holland or Walhberg to be honest but clearly the casting budget was spent on them! 

Id happily watch a sequel. 

22 hours ago, Designer1 said:

Off to see this today. It looks daft and entertaining in equal measures 🙂

This was just so much fun - brilliantly entertaining from start to finish, with Cage and Pascal (who shows some great comic acting chops) obviously having a hoot.

Definitely recommend :thumb:

spacer.png

• Like 1

quite enjoyed this new fantastic beasts film. Hadn't seen either of the first two, so there's a few references I'll have missed but thought it was actually a pretty solid film. The dreary grey colour scheme is very boring though

On 24/04/2022 at 01:15, mrchnry said:

Did you not see Pig?

Â