The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Paul Thomas Anderson’s Licorice Pizza was pretty decent. Not as good as Boogie Nights or There Will Be Blood but fits in nicely with Punch Drunk Love, Magnolia and Inherent Vice.

Typically good soundtrack too

• Like 1

😄 I also think there are some very funny moments in there, like when the Russians shoot a torpedo at them and they go to get rid of the guy in the DSRV and he's "I think they're shooting at us!" And Scott Glenn goes "No shit buckwheat, get out of here!"

Also "Oh Yuri.... you've lost ANOTHER submarine?!"

The Entity (1982) - IMDb

Just stuck this on, one of my favourite horror films (the book was brilliant as well)

I first watched this when I was about 12 years old and I remember getting the feels for Barbara Hershey in this film way back then.

I love the way it sacks off the standard horror soundtrack (for the time) and goes for that heavy repetitive guitar just thumping away every time that she gets assaulted. I remember the book being extremely similar to the film, it didn't deviate too much at all aside from them going into the whole "is she crazy or not" a whole lot more, I'm pretty sure that in the book it leans more heavily into her incestuous feelings for her son as well.

**** great film that stands the test of time pretty well for me, the final act let t down a bit but I still love it.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, leemond2008 said:

The Entity (1982) - IMDb

Just stuck this on, one of my favourite horror films (the book was brilliant as well)

I first watched this when I was about 12 years old and I remember getting the feels for Barbara Hershey in this film way back then.

I love the way it sacks off the standard horror soundtrack (for the time) and goes for that heavy repetitive guitar just thumping away every time that she gets assaulted. I remember the book being extremely similar to the film, it didn't deviate too much at all aside from them going into the whole "is she crazy or not" a whole lot more, I'm pretty sure that in the book it leans more heavily into her incestuous feelings for her son as well.

**** great film that stands the test of time pretty well for me, the final act let t down a bit but I still love it.

I remember watching this as a lad, terrifying, that soundtrack sticks i  your head.too. Was supposed to be based on a true story, although knowing what we know now, I guess she just had metal health issues.

11 hours ago, leemond2008 said:

I'm pretty sure I read a book on the actual case this was based on, Doris something or other was her name I think, the actual book by Frank De Felitta is well worth a read though. 

There was another film around that time about a woman who got raped by an alien and turned, British film but cannot remember the title

1 hour ago, Follyfoot said:

There was another film around that time about a woman who got raped by an alien and turned, British film but cannot remember the title

Xtro?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

Xtro?

That was the one that sprung to mind but no

The connection probably is much deeper because I watched  both the Entity and this film pretty much at the same time. It was set in some caves on a foreign planet if I recall, Got a load of stick for being a rip-off of alien

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

Xtro?

Got it having gone through the wiki list of British Scfi Horror from the 80's, worth a look actually as loads on there which have been forgotten for many a year that might be worth a secondary viewing 

In the foreground, a woman in labour screams as the head of an alien child emerges from between her legs. In the background, two men in spacesuits shine flashlights onto the newborn, aghast. Text at the top of the image reads "Somewhere in the Depths of Space ... A Horrific Nightmare is About to Become a Reality". Lower down, the title of the film, "Inseminoid", is rendered in large, bold text. The bottom of the image contains additional text that reads "... A Far from Human Birth!", plus the main production credits.

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Like 1

One Shot 

Fellow Viler and action star Scott Adkins as leader of a group of Navy Seals under siege from highly trained terrorist mercenaries 

not half bad and well worth a watch, nothing revolutionary but keeps you gripped for the full course 

some great knife work 

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Like 1

On 07/05/2022 at 19:08, Follyfoot said:

One Shot 

Fellow Viler and action star Scott Adkins as leader of a group of Navy Seals under siege from highly trained terrorist mercenaries 

not half bad and well worth a watch, nothing revolutionary but keeps you gripped for the full course 

some great knife work 

Must admit Scott Adkins is a very good martial artist and after knowing his Villa affinity I've followed him for years since he was part of Jackie Chan's Stunt Team.

The Debt Collector movies are quite fun and he even wears his Villa tie!

Debt_Collector_Header_2c_1050_591_81_s_c

3 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Must admit Scott Adkins is a very good martial artist and after knowing his Villa affinity I've followed him for years since he was part of Jackie Chan's Stunt Team.

The Debt Collector movies are quite fun and he even wears his Villa tie!

Debt_Collector_Header_2c_1050_591_81_s_c

Frenchy🤣 the other fella reminds me of Bruce Willis in the way he acts, enjoyed both of them 

Avengement is definitely the best thing I've seen Adkins in. He puts in a pretty good performance in that and although it still has some standard 'geezery' bits, the movie does have a bit of thought and depth along with the violence.

Really enjoyed it.

Edited by Designer1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

Avengement is definitely the best thing I've seen Adkins in. He puts in a pretty good performance in that and although it still has some standard 'geezery' the movie does have a bit of thought and depth along with the violence.

Really enjoyed it.

In all fairness they packed the film with 'geezers' The pub might as well have been the Queen Vic

Accident Man is worth a peek as well as is Legacy of Lies 

Edited by Follyfoot

3 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

Frenchy🤣 the other fella reminds me of Bruce Willis in the way he acts, enjoyed both of them 

Louis Mandylor, I remember him from starring with the legendary Sammo Hung in Martial Law.

Anyone watch these Art of Action videos Scott Adkins produced during Lockdown?

3 hours ago, Designer1 said:

Avengement is definitely the best thing I've seen Adkins in. He puts in a pretty good performance in that and although it still has some standard 'geezery' bits, the movie does have a bit of thought and depth along with the violence.

Really enjoyed it.

Yeah it's up there, some great, inventive fight choreography too. I enjoyed it!

Â