The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

3 hours ago, Phil Silvers said:

Having had a discussion recently with a friend about how much we both missed Gene Hackman in his prime, I looked him up and this was the most recent photo from a couple of years ago. I decided to dig out an old favourite, The Scarecrow 1973, also staring Al Pacino, it's a road movie about a couple of very diffent characters that form a bond that leads them into aquite a few misadventures. I couldn't recommend this film anymore, it's just as good as I remembered from years ago.

gene-hackman-tweet.png

I’m a fan and mainly because my parents liked some of his films and you become familiar with an actor growing up.

Some of my favourites of his were -  The French Connection & The French Connection II, Superman & Superman II,  Bat*21, Mississippi Burning, Unforgiven, The Firm, Crimson Tide, etc etc.  

You forget how many films someone has been in and I’ve probably forgotten loads of others he’s done.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Phil Silvers said:

Having had a discussion recently with a friend about how much we both missed Gene Hackman in his prime, I looked him up and this was the most recent photo from a couple of years ago. I decided to dig out an old favourite, The Scarecrow 1973, also staring Al Pacino, it's a road movie about a couple of very diffent characters that form a bond that leads them into aquite a few misadventures. I couldn't recommend this film anymore, it's just as good as I remembered from years ago.

gene-hackman-tweet.png

Mississippi Burning is an all time favourite of mine and it's primarily because of Hackman. 

Edited by Seat68
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

I’m a fan and mainly because my parents liked some of his films and you become familiar with an actor growing up.

Some of my favourites of his were -  The French Connection & The French Connection II, Superman & Superman II,  Bat*21, Mississippi Burning, Unforgiven, The Firm, Crimson Tide, etc etc.  

You forget how many films someone has been in and I’ve probably forgotten loads of others he’s done.  

4 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Mississippi Burning is an all time favourite of mine and it's primarily because if Hackman. 

Mississippi Burning is top quality, he's the best thing in the Unforgiven. He makes almost every film he's in to be honest. Scarecrow might be hard to find but it's well worth hunting down, the conversation too is a great film.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 04/04/2022 at 21:24, mykeyb said:

It's a bizarre film of two half's. First half not bad but the the second half went all The Abyss and lost me 

Lol yeh I get what you mean 

Operation Mincemeat is thankfully decent. It's 50/50 when you've got a stellar cast of posh brits which way it will go, and while there are some mawkish moments re "duty", it is relatively restrained. Good performances, which avoid caricature ( Jason Isaacs does stray a little into Lucius Malfoy territory as the Admiral, but is still good ). Glad I hadn't gotten round to reading about the plot. I usually devour Ben Mcintyre books but had managed to miss this one. 

• Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, Rodders said:

Operation Mincemeat is thankfully decent. It's 50/50 when you've got a stellar cast of posh brits which way it will go, and while there are some mawkish moments re "duty", it is relatively restrained. Good performances, which avoid caricature ( Jason Isaacs does stray a little into Lucius Malfoy territory as the Admiral, but is still good ). Glad I hadn't gotten round to reading about the plot. I usually devour Ben Mcintyre books but had managed to miss this one. 

This is a re-do of a film I mentioned in another thread earlier, The man who never was 1956, staring Clifton Webb, a very good film.

See the source image

Any of our more experienced members remember this 3 part special on Disney's Wonderful World of Colour, would have aired first in the mid/late 60s and probably shown numerous times over the following couple of decades I would have thought. It popped up on my regular torrent site recently, I vaguely remembered it and gave it a blast, really enjoyed it. There's no depth to it but it is very entertaining and with a damn song that I cannot get out of my head now. 

"A poor eighteenth century English coastal farming community survives King George III's (Eric Pohlmann's) ruinous taxes thanks to a smuggling ring created by its masked leader called the Scarecrow (Patrick McGoohan). The ring's success leads King George III to order the Royal Army's General Pugh (Geoffrey Keen) to capture and execute the ringleaders. It is a battle of wits and action that the Scarecrow must win to save not only his own life, but those of the men he leads while keeping the vital smuggling operation running".

Recommended, for some.

Watching the Usual Suspects tonight and it really is a brilliant film. Well shot, well acted and just a classic.

• Like 4

The Outfit (2022)

An expert tailor must outwit a dangerous group of mobsters in order to survive a fateful night.

This was enjoyable, a bit Hitchcockian, plays like a stage play and is well written and acted, really liked it.

Spoiler

Not sure about that ending, it may divide a few but found it ok

Edited by Phil Silvers

14 hours ago, useless said:

Speculation that it might be a new David Lynch film, I hope so.

I’d be delighted if it was but I’m not sure he’d have the time with all the weather reports and pulling numbered balls out of jars. 

Â