The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

2 hours ago, leemond2008 said:

I absolutely love this film, I've watched the directors cut at least 5 or 6 times, I just think that the performance from Florence Pugh is brilliant.

While Tobe Hooper loved a leading girl who could scream, Ari Aster clearly loves a leading girl who can put on a disturbing cry, the scene at the beginning when she breaks down is pretty **** wrenching.

I also love the fact that it is shot entirely in daylight, certain parts may well have been a little telegraphed if you've seen these types of films before but I thought it was done well.

Also Ari Aster clearly loves a bit of face trauma, I'm really looking forward to his next film, I'm pretty sure I read that he's going to be doing a comedy horror, that'll be really interesting considering that there is precisely zero laughs in Hereditary (which is great as well) and Midsommar

It’s one of those that the more I think about the film after the better it’s getting. And I feel like another viewing would be well worth it as I’m guessing there’s lots of little details that foreshadow things later on in the movie

On 18/05/2022 at 10:53, Chindie said:

Savile wouldn't be the first to come to mind with Gacy.

He was a particularly grim killer who essentially lived a double life, one where he was a respected businessman and community leader and another were he was killing young men for his sexual gratification. Savile was a sexual predator who abused vulnerable children from a position of power and was bizarrely open about it, Gacy killed so many people he ran out of space to stash the bodies but went about his life as normal otherwise.

On Gacy, he's got a famous line from one of his interviews with police when he was caught, which I always thought was brilliant for both being just a very darkly funny comment, but also for how revealing about what his mind was like it is. Refuting that he was responsible for murdering dozens, he replied 'the most I was guilty of was running an unlicensed cemetery!'.

Also, his last words were supposedly 'Kiss my ass'.

He is also the subject of a stunningly/disturbingly beautiful song by Sufjan Stevens. 

14 hours ago, Bizzzle said:

Just finished watching Everything everywhere all at once and it’s easily one of the best films of the year for me! 8.5/10

I gave it everything between zero and one.

Greatest maths documentary in history IMO.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

It’s one of those that the more I think about the film after the better it’s getting. And I feel like another viewing would be well worth it as I’m guessing there’s lots of little details that foreshadow things later on in the movie

yep. the entirety of the plot is foreshadowed right at the beginning of the film, there are loads of little easter eggs in it, I'd 100% recommend a second viewing, although it is a pretty hefty run time, especially if you are watching the directors cut

• Like 2

1 hour ago, leemond2008 said:

Has anyone watched Firestarter yet? I'm going to stick it on later tonight, I'm not expecting much at all but its one of those that I need to at least watch once

I thought it was OK. Its a little bit closer to the book and as I'm not a fan of the original movie (gets much more love than  it deserves imo) I thought it had a few bite that were better.

On 18/05/2022 at 21:39, Designer1 said:

Tickets booked for the weekend.

Probably my most anticipated movie of the year so far. Can't wait.

spacer.png

Yeah, this was fantastic. Wildly creative, very funny and quite touching in parts.

Recommended :thumb:

Just now, Designer1 said:

Yeah, this was fantastic. Wildly creative, very funny and quite touching in parts.

Recommended :thumb:

On a $25 million budget too . It's unbelievable how they did some of the effects.

A tenth of Dr Strange's budget yet a thousand times a better film.

On 21/05/2022 at 10:44, leemond2008 said:

I absolutely love this film, I've watched the directors cut at least 5 or 6 times, I just think that the performance from Florence Pugh is brilliant.

While Tobe Hooper loved a leading girl who could scream, Ari Aster clearly loves a leading girl who can put on a disturbing cry, the scene at the beginning when she breaks down is pretty **** wrenching.

I also love the fact that it is shot entirely in daylight, certain parts may well have been a little telegraphed if you've seen these types of films before but I thought it was done well.

Also Ari Aster clearly loves a bit of face trauma, I'm really looking forward to his next film, I'm pretty sure I read that he's going to be doing a comedy horror, that'll be really interesting considering that there is precisely zero laughs in Hereditary (which is great as well) and Midsommar

I mean, yes - pretty much the whole film is repeating the plot beats and atmosphere of 'The Wicker Man'. I thought 'Midsommar' was enjoyable hokum, I have nothing against it and I think I had it in my yearly top 10, but there wasn't anything original about it IMO. 

• Like 2

Mad what a bit of CGI can do to Birmingham 😜

From what I've read the bits in the big white open building is new street, I thought maybe at 9 seconds in that car chase could be round by snow hill

The train stuff all looks very English countryside too

Just got back from Dr Strange (IMAX) Once i have got over the fact it has cost over ton for a family of 4 and a few nachos I may provide a review, still in shock🤯

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Sure I read somewhere that this is the biggest budget film Netflix have ever done (might be because they're only distributors for a lot of them) 

The books are brilliant so high hopes Mr Gentry is portrayed well🤞🤞

• Like 1

Watching Le Mans '66 (or Ford vs Ferrari for the Yanks) and enjoying the film. It's gone up in my estimation a whole lot though for the lad wearing a classic Villa shirt. I literally bounced off the sofa and pointed at it like that meme. 

• Like 1

Just now, Rds1983 said:

Watching Le Mans '66 (or Ford vs Ferrari for the Yanks) and enjoying the film. It's gone up in my estimation a whole lot though for the lad wearing a classic Villa shirt. I literally bounced off the sofa and pointed at it like that meme. 

Good film indeed.

Ken Miles was born in Sutton Coldfield hence his affiliation with Villa

mate 

Â