The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

After reading @villa4europe 's post about John Wayne Gacy on the TV thread I would recommend the film/mini series called 'To Catch a Killer' that covers the story. Gacy was very much a mini Jimmy Saville, working for children's charity's, respected for employing young men who may have been off the beaten track, pillar of the community etc.

Spoiler

I believe the measures used by the detective who caught him became the standard for the way they approached future investigations of serial killers and was one of the first cases they used mediums to help find the missing bodies. 

It is a long film, over three hours and was released originally as a two part offering but well worth the investment. Brian Dennehy is superb as Gacy and Michael Riley as the man putting all the clues together is his perfect foil. 

To Catch a Killer (TV Mini Series 1992) - IMDb

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Like 2

Savile wouldn't be the first to come to mind with Gacy.

He was a particularly grim killer who essentially lived a double life, one where he was a respected businessman and community leader and another were he was killing young men for his sexual gratification. Savile was a sexual predator who abused vulnerable children from a position of power and was bizarrely open about it, Gacy killed so many people he ran out of space to stash the bodies but went about his life as normal otherwise.

On Gacy, he's got a famous line from one of his interviews with police when he was caught, which I always thought was brilliant for both being just a very darkly funny comment, but also for how revealing about what his mind was like it is. Refuting that he was responsible for murdering dozens, he replied 'the most I was guilty of was running an unlicensed cemetery!'.

Also, his last words were supposedly 'Kiss my ass'.

Edited by Chindie

I think there is an element of his victims not being able to tell anyone, in the case of saville because the fear that no one would believe them and with gacy the fear that they would be outed as gay, both of them seemed very specific about who their victims were, gacys undoing was he picked a victim by chance rather than calculated it 

Also the community profile stuff is interesting cos yeah gacy brushed shoulders with politicians and local political party members giving himself that power but its then whether or not he did so in an attempt to protect himself or because he wanted that life of feeling important

The clown stuff seemed overblown, he wasn't killing people while dressed as a clown

The doc on Netflix does pick up on his mental disorder where he can't accept responsibility for anything, nothing was his fault, he felt no remorse he was set up, his lawyer didn't do his job properly, some of victims attacked him etc

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Designer1 said:

Tickets booked for the weekend.

Probably my most anticipated movie of the year so far. Can't wait.

spacer.png

My cinema trips have stalled as of late, but really want to see this

• Like 1

This was my viewing at the weekend

midsommar-900x506.jpg

Brilliant but very disturbing.

My only criticism would be that because of the genre of film, I could tell a lot of what was going to happen. If it were even possible, I'd recommend going in completely cold.
It reminds me a bit of Kill List in so much as the film starts in a very different way to how it evolves. The difference is I did go into Kill List completely cold, knowing nothing about it. So the pay off was mental.

Very good movie though. I must seek out Hereditary now

Hereditary is probably the better film of those 2, although there's not lots in it. Hereditary has a few superb performances and there's some moments that will stick pretty vividly in the mind.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Hereditary is probably the better film of those 2, although there's not lots in it. Hereditary has a few superb performances and there's some moments that will stick pretty vividly in the mind.

Spoiler

Bizarrely the song at the end of Hereditary (Both sides now by Judy Collins) has stuck in my mind as much as the some of the memorable elements of the film, just seemed so perfect 

Do not think the above is a spoiler but just in case 

Edited by Follyfoot

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

midsommar-900x506.jpg

My only criticism would be that because of the genre of film, I could tell a lot of what was going to happen. If it were even possible, I'd recommend going in completely cold.
It reminds me a bit of Kill List in so much as the film starts in a very different way to how it evolves. The difference is I did go into Kill List completely cold, knowing nothing about it. So the pay off was mental.

As a Swede that movie didn't really work for me. All felt immensely silly. 

Wasn't a bad movie, just didn't work thou.

33 minutes ago, sne said:

As a Swede that movie didn't really work for me. All felt immensely silly. 

Wasn't a bad movie, just didn't work thou.

I did think as I watched it "I wonder how Swedes would feel about this"

Especially as there are parts where they chant in Swedish and stuff and it isn't translated. Which works if you don't speak Swedish. But if you do I wonder if it still works.

Sounds like it didn't

• Like 1

I’ll certainly be watching the new Top Gun movie, with low expectations.

However, i’m quite taken a back by Tom Cruises face recently. He always looked exceptionally well for his age but it seems like all the work he’s had done is all expiring at the same time and it’s falling  apart.

28 minutes ago, Genie said:

However, i’m quite taken a back by Tom Cruises face recently. He always looked exceptionally well for his age but it seems like all the work he’s had done is all expiring at the same time and it’s falling  apart.

Give Cruise another 12 months…..

image.jpeg.4da72b0b1113b2dcda919edf8cc994b5.jpeg

• Haha 2

On 18/05/2022 at 21:39, Designer1 said:

Tickets booked for the weekend.

Probably my most anticipated movie of the year so far. Can't wait.

spacer.png

It's great .   The kid from the Goonies is brilliant and Yeoh ...WOW.

It's available online too as you'll probably want to see it again .

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Genie said:

Sky Showcase/Max is showing Top Gun tomorrow night. 

Will record it for my lad to watch before watching the sequel next weekend at the cinema. (I'm slightly surprised the original wasn't given a limited reprise on the big screen ahead of Maverick being released)

I'm not a Uber Fan of the original but its good fun and had some great flight sequences. 

Edited by theboyangel
  • Like 1

On 19/05/2022 at 10:17, Stevo985 said:

midsommar-900x506.jpg

I absolutely love this film, I've watched the directors cut at least 5 or 6 times, I just think that the performance from Florence Pugh is brilliant.

While Tobe Hooper loved a leading girl who could scream, Ari Aster clearly loves a leading girl who can put on a disturbing cry, the scene at the beginning when she breaks down is pretty **** wrenching.

I also love the fact that it is shot entirely in daylight, certain parts may well have been a little telegraphed if you've seen these types of films before but I thought it was done well.

Also Ari Aster clearly loves a bit of face trauma, I'm really looking forward to his next film, I'm pretty sure I read that he's going to be doing a comedy horror, that'll be really interesting considering that there is precisely zero laughs in Hereditary (which is great as well) and Midsommar

• Like 3

Â