The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

First one is ont of the most disappointing films ive ever seen, maybe / probably tainted by seeing it in 3D which this film helped me to decide I hate, the weirdest thing being that imo the glasses take a bit of the colour off and a big part of this film was the colour, add to that it's just not an interesting story, it's pocahontas in space 

Maybe I just don't get it but for all the technical achievements and visuals and everything that it's supposed to be i don't think it remembered to be a good film 

• Like 4

Whilst Avatar was essentially the story of Pocahontas In Space the effects and depth/detail of the 3D was groundbreaking (especially on an IMAX screen)

it was utter bobbins but beautiful to look at. 

• Like 1

Just watched “Cop Car” with Kevin Bacon. Directed by Jon Watts who’s done the recent Spider-Man films.

Nice little cat and mouse thriller. Two kids find a police car, take it for a spin and the sheriff (Bacon) has to get it back, for reasons that don’t just include professional embarrassment for misplacing police property.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Just watched “Cop Car” with Kevin Bacon. Directed by Jon Watts who’s done the recent Spider-Man films.

Nice little cat and mouse thriller. Two kids find a police car, take it for a spin and the sheriff (Bacon) has to get it back, for reasons that don’t just include professional embarrassment for misplacing police property.

Enjoyed that one. Thought K.Bacon was really good in it.

• Like 1

At the time Avatar came out all anyone ever talked about was how groundbreaking the cgi was. I genuinely thought it was a bit ropey at the time. 

It’s been how long and I’ve seen the trailer for number 2 and it looks exactly the same, like no improvements at all. 

A couple of decent films on Freeview tv this week

Saturday 14th

This Is Spinal Tap - BBC2 

Den Of Thieves - C4 (one for @Follyfoot

Monday 16th

Pulp Fiction - Great! movies 

Night Of The Kings - Film4

Thursday 19th 

Citizen Kane - BBC4

American Made - Film4

Friday 20th

Bad Times At El Royale - Film4 

Bringing Out The Dead - Talking Pictures

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Watched the first Sonic The Hedgehog last night for the first time.  

Thoroughly enjoyable kids film from start to finish if a little strange in tone at times. Least believable married couple in any film ever though.

Carrey was good as Robotnik but again, some of his dialogue was just odd. Not cooky odd bit sinister odd but I don’t know, some of the humour was strange, the only way I can explain this is it’s kind of like that Michael Bay Transformers style quirky not quite ok desperate humour, if that makes sense.

But still, apart from those weird moments I enjoyed it way more than I thought I would for a formulaic designed by committee film and Sonic was a really likeable character. I know I’d have loved the **** out of this film if I was a young kid again. Much better than it had any right to be really. 

Really enjoyed this one...

spacer.png

Taut thriller with shades of Rear Window and Blow Out.

Zoe Kravitz with yet another top notch performance as the agoraphobic, paranoid protagonist. 

• Like 1

Stumbled across a clip from The Gentlemen on TikTok the other day, and enjoyed the snippet so sought out the film. 

Watched it last night and really enjoyed it. Decent cast with Eddie Marsan, Matthew McConaughy, Colin Farrell and Charlie Hunnam. Really enjoyed it. 

An American expat tries to sell off his highly profitable marijuana empire in London, triggering plots, schemes, bribery and blackmail in an attempt to steal his domain out from under him.

87305-CF1-4-DBC-4748-B6-E9-705-CCC6-AA61

Edited by villan-scott
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, villan-scott said:

Stumbled across a clip from The Gentlemen on TikTok the other day, and enjoyed the snippet so sought out the film. 

Watched it last night and really enjoyed it. Decent cast with Eddie Marsan, Matthew McConaughy, Colin Farrell and Charlie Hunnam. Really enjoyed it. 

An American expat tries to sell off his highly profitable marijuana empire in London, triggering plots, schemes, bribery and blackmail in an attempt to steal his domain out from under him.

87305-CF1-4-DBC-4748-B6-E9-705-CCC6-AA61

Guy Ritchie been making really good films for a long time now. I really liked Wrath of Man, and he has another new one thats out already too I think- but havent seen it yet. Called Operation Fortune- working with Statham and Josh Hartnett again. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Guy Ritchie been making really good films for a long time now. I really liked Wrath of Man, and he has another new one thats out already too I think- but havent seen it yet. Called Operation Fortune- working with Statham and Josh Hartnett again. 

Will check this out. Thank you! 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, sne said:

Seems like an unfair fight

Based off how Arnie won in the first film low tech might actually be a better strategy than modern/future warfare. 

• Like 1

Â