The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

8S3m.gif

Watched Night of the Hunter, thought it was excellent, already have to consider it one of my favorites, especially liked the way certain sequences are shot from the perspective of the children so those scenes have a surreal dreamy fairytale look to them, the whole thing looks really great.

Edited by useless
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, useless said:

8S3m.gif

Watched Night of the Hunter, thought it was excellent, already have to consider it one of my favorites, especially liked the way certain sequences are shot from the perspective of the children so those scenes have a surreal dreamy fairytale look to them, the whole thing looks really great.

One of my favourites.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

One of my favourites.

Brilliant film, Robert Mitchum was outstanding. It was directed by actor Charles Laughton and it was received poorly by the critics of the day so he only directed in theatre thereafter, shame.

• Like 1

On 09/05/2020 at 10:42, AVFC_Hitz said:

Quite the underrated actor. He lit up every film he did.

He did the sleazy californian/trust fund kid better than anyone. 

Brandt in The Big Lebowski as well. Excellent. I always loved his role in Talented Mr Ripley, too.

Saw him play Willy in Death of A Salesman on Broadway. Truly outstanding. I feel privileged to have witnessed him in that role. 

• Like 2

We’ve decided to go back through Tarantino’s films in order, started tonight with Reservoir Dogs. 

I loved the film as a teenager, but It’s been over 20 years now since I’ve sat and watched it all the way through. 
It was great, it’s a fantastic film and I’d forgotten a fair few of the details here and there.

The madness of opening a crime thriller with a 7 min scene about Madonna and tipping etiquettes. The iconic scenes, the dialogue, the music, the back stories and the causal, menacing brutality of Michael Madsen. It’s a great introduction to what became a lot of his trademarks. It’s so lean as well, and by his own latter standards it’s like watching a short film. 

• Like 4

"Where are the fackin pills you caaaahnnt!"

Can't beat some ageing diamond geeza's going round chinning each other and racking up lines of charlie. 

Essex/10. WB

image.jpg?w=1920&h=1080

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Xela said:

"Where are the fackin pills you caaaahnnt!"

Can't beat some ageing diamond geeza's going round chinning each other and racking up lines of charlie. 

Essex/10. WB

image.jpg?w=1920&h=1080

How and why was that ever made (including parts 1-3!) ??? 😂

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

How and why was that ever made (including parts 1-3!) ??? 😂

I genuinely think parts 3 and 4 were just made because the cast just wanted to meet up in Marbella and **** about for a while! It even says most of the stuff that happened wasn't true. 

• Haha 1

Le Pont du Nord
Enjoyed it a great deal, a walkthrough mystery on the streets of Paris based on an old French board game called game of the goose, which I think is similar to snakes and ladders, I thought the two leads Bulle Ogier and Pascale Ogier did a great job as their characters as well.
Cloud Atlas
Liked it and it seemed to get better and more gripping as it went along, even some of the of the elements of the film that might normally be seen as bad somehow worked as a positive and added to the films overall feel
M (1931)
About a child killer on the streets of 1930s Germany, thought that it was very well done and shot, felt very ahead of it's time wth the way they profiled the killer and explored his psychology and also that of the police and the locals wanting justice.

• Like 2

Heartbreaking film about the impact of child abuse on Maori communities. Filmed in eight separate parts, all different perspectives around a central story. 

58E192EE-B276-49E1-9B4A-F6F9708507C4.jpeg

1 hour ago, useless said:

Le Pont du Nord
Enjoyed it a great deal, a walkthrough mystery on the streets of Paris based on an old French board game called game of the goose, which I think is similar to snakes and ladders, I thought the two leads Bulle Ogier and Pascale Ogier did a great job as their characters as well.
Cloud Atlas
Liked it and it seemed to get better and more gripping as it went along, even some of the of the elements of the film that might normally be seen as bad somehow worked as a positive and added to the films overall feel
M (1931)
About a child killer on the streets of 1930s Germany, thought that it was very well done and shot, felt very ahead of it's time wth the way they profiled the killer and explored his psychology and also that of the police and the locals wanting justice.

Decades ahead of its time and a haunting performance from Peter Lorre, who went on to have a great career in Hollywood.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Phil Silvers said:

Decades ahead of its time and a haunting performance from Peter Lorre, who went on to have a great career in Hollywood.

Didn't do too bad for Arsenal either...

spacer.png

😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

It was the Mrs turn to pick film,  no it really was.

The Wrong Missy on Netflix.  7/10. 

I can't believe it,  there are some really funny bits in it and  I laughed out loud a lot.  The main charachter (Bird),  plays unhinged brilliantly.

www.gstatic.com/tv/thumb/v22vodart/18198899/p18...

15 hours ago, useless said:

M (1931)

You won't be surprised to hear that the character Inspector Lohmann is based on Berlin detective Ernst Gennat who was a pioneer of profiling and coined the phrase "serial killer". A fictionalised version of Gennat appears in season 2 and 3 of Babylon Berlin,  itself and excellent TV series.

Edited by Clarry
spelling
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

42 minutes ago, Bizzzle said:

Watched District 9 last night. God I love that film!

I used to be pissed that Ridley Scott effectively shot down Blomkamp's Alien concept so he could curl out his twin turds of Prometheus and Covenant.  Then I saw Chappie and... well, I think the franchise is just better off dead at this point.

District 9 was great though.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Â