The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Oceans 8 was entertaining enough and definitely a step up from the similar female Ghostbusters remake as seen similar comparisons.

It probably helps Oceans8 has some good actors in it and also that Oceans11 is also entertaining but not some masterpiece 

On 01/06/2020 at 19:53, wilko154 said:

Modern prison films are my favourite films for some reason. So in a rough order of my favourite first:

Felon

Shot Caller

The Informer

Brawl in Cell Block 99

Starred Up

A Prayer Before Dawn

If anyone has anymore for me to watch that would be great, already added Avengement

Undisputed trilogy

On 01/06/2020 at 19:53, wilko154 said:

Modern prison films are my favourite films for some reason. So in a rough order of my favourite first:

Felon

Shot Caller

The Informer

Brawl in Cell Block 99

Starred Up

A Prayer Before Dawn

If anyone has anymore for me to watch that would be great, already added Avengement

Just remembered a cracker from the 70s

Penitentiary https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079709/ way better then the IMDb rating, it spawned a couple of sequels too if I remember correctly.

also

Papillon 1973 https://www.imdb.com/title/

Brilliant film and performances from McQueen and Hoffman

also

Midnight Express 1978 https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077928/ 

Edited by Phil Silvers

Blood in, Blood Out (or Bound by Honor as it was called in Sweden for reasons unknown) is a 90's classic when it comes to prison movies.

Whole generation of teens who quoted that movie for year. Also has a really good and really soppy ending scene.

Bound by Honor (1993)

In light of Kurt Thomas' passing, Gymkata was one of those staple movies of my younger years...

Incidentally this movie was directed by Robert Clouse (Enter the Dragon) and features Richard Norton a rather famous martial artist from many movies!

Edited by Zhan_Zhuang

On 08/06/2020 at 00:04, mikeyp102 said:

Great film, even better book. 
There was a remake a few years back, with Sami Malek. Not got round to watching it yet

It really is a brilliant film, I was a Steve McQueen fan back in the day and still am. His films were probably classed as main stream action/thrillers etc and he never was really challenged as an actor, so to see him hold his own against probably the best actor in the world giving arguably his greatest performance was amazing to see.

I watched the remake out of curiosity and it was ok, If you've seen the original its a 5/10, if you haven't then its a 7/10 if that makes sense.

I've never read the book and have been looking for something so I've ordered it, cheers.

• Like 1

rewatched bridge of spies, at the cinema I thought it was a bit spielbergo + hanks paint by numbers, wouldn't call it boring but at the same time wouldn't say it was particularly good, its just a well put together film that doesn't stand out from the crowd  on a 2nd viewing that's probably a bit harsh, its a really solid film with lots of great little touches

still not got a clue how Rylance won so many awards for it though

Watched something called the Lighthouse last night, a very strange, different and compelling film that grows on you as it progresses. Well worth a watch

• Like 2

Queen and Slim (2020) on Prime is excellent and very timely and relevant with the BLM protests. Well worth a watch and Spike Less new film 'Da 5 Bloods' is out on Netflix today. Some excellent reviews already.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Rodders said:

Spike Less new film 'Da 5 Bloods' is out on Netflix today. Some excellent reviews already.

Watched it last night. A typical Spike Lee Joint - a bit messy, slightly disjointed, multi-layered, powerful. It felt slightly rushed as a production but was a really engrossing couple of hours. 

• Like 1

Still doing ‘Tarantino Saturdays’ at the moment, but due to all of the words removed not having all of the movies, I’ve had to abandon the plan of watching them in order. 

Inglorious Basterds and Django Unchained have been the most recent ones. 

Loved both. Brad Pitt is ace in IB, as is Jamie Foxx in DU, but one man elevates both films from really good to great and that’s Christoph Waltz. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, wazzap24 said:

Still doing ‘Tarantino Saturdays’ at the moment, but due to all of the words removed not having all of the movies, I’ve had to abandon the plan of watching them in order. 

Inglorious Basterds and Django Unchained have been the most recent ones. 

Loved both. Brad Pitt is ace in IB, as is Jamie Foxx in DU, but one man elevates both films from really good to great and that’s Christoph Waltz

He eats up the screen, brilliant in both.

• Like 1

Â