The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

7 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Watched this on your recommendation last night. Agreed that the two lead performances were exceptional, and the setting was very well realised. I loved a couple of moments as well, especially when the two of them and the maid are reading the mythology together and arguing about it, and some of the repartee about posing. On the other hand, some of the staring-lovingly-into-each-other's-eyes bits dragged on. Solid effort though.

It's odd, 90% of the time when a film descends in to extended scenes of competitive staring I tend to get a little impatient, but somehow with this one it never bothered me at all. I think it had - for me -  done such a good job of drawing me in, that in every shot, of a barely perceptible eye twitch or half smile I felt like I was right there with them, feeling the tension shift each time. 

6 hours ago, maqroll said:

The Rise of Skywalker was absolute garbage. Terrible ending to the saga. Stupid plot, pointless subplots, pathetic dialogue and not many fun action sequences.

I read your comment, and thought to myself, 'huh, I can't actually remember what happens in that film', which I guess is it's own kind of review.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, maqroll said:

The Rise of Skywalker was absolute garbage. Terrible ending to the saga. Stupid plot, pointless subplots, pathetic dialogue and not many fun action sequences.

You could apply that same review to the other 8 SW films tbf .... 

i remember seeing it at the cinema and thinking “meh” , I watched it again the other night with Mrs H and i didn’t think it was quite so bad second time around ... not great but maybe it’s this decades Hudson Hawk and it will slowly grow on people :) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

watched Best of Enemies  last night ,... Rockwell gets to play the Sam Rockwell character that he does so well   ....  the film itself moves along at a decent pace and is never boring even for those not familiar with the exact event , before building up to the Hollywood ending .... what makes this all the more heartwarming is of course , that the ending is actually what happened in real life ( with a little artistic license ) ... it lacks the power punch ending of black klansman that Spike Lee threw in and Bk is a far better film but it’s still a film that’s worth some of your time .

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Sam Rockwell

Great actor. Have you ever seen "Box of Moonlight"? It's with Rockwell and John Turturro, two of my favorite actors, and the movie is sort of nerdy subversive magical realism. Or at least that's how I remember it, it's pretty old now.

46 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Great actor. Have you ever seen "Box of Moonlight"? It's with Rockwell and John Turturro, two of my favorite actors, and the movie is sort of nerdy subversive magical realism. Or at least that's how I remember it, it's pretty old now.

Not seen that ...I’ve got time on my hands , I’ll have to see if it’s on prime / sky etc and check it out 

• Like 1

I watched ‘Dunkirk’ the other evening.

It was perfectly good. I didn’t really get in to any of the characters, but I did appreciate there not being any scene setting back story flashbacks etc.. But then I wonder if there’s a contradiction in those two statements? 

I quite liked the way the film was edited to see repeats of the same incident from several perspectives, I thought that worked really well.

I think what I’m saying is, I appreciated how clever it was, how it was constructed. But wouldn’t exactly add it in to my top ten.

Another perfectly solid 6 or 7.

1 hour ago, maqroll said:

Dunkirk and 1917 are two of the best war movies I've seen, and my standards are high, I walked out of Saving Private Ryan after all!

Not seen 1917 yet, but I will watch that. Again though probably more for the cinematography than the storyline. But I’ve already seen two films in May so I’m probably about done for a while.

I rarely watch films, Dunkirk was head and shoulders above most of the absolute filler out there. It’s not a medium that does too much for me for some reason. I have a proud and well documented history of falling asleep in cinemas and then once the kids were old enough, just sitting out their choice of film in the coffee franchise in the lobby.

I’m claiming no superior taste here. They just rarely hold my attention. Whereas, I can take a day off work to listen to an album uninterrupted. Any old crap of an album! I listened to three ABBA albums back to back to back on the weekend. 

I doubt I could name 3 ABBA albums ,

Wasn’t a fan of Dunkirk , the whole repeat the timeline thing didn’t work for me ... at times it looked like a film being clever for the sake of being clever , also lost a point at the end when they arrive at Woking station when clearly it wasn’t :)

1917 was  a crap story line forgiven by some decent camera work , but wouldn’t hold up to the repeat viewing test that some films have ...

all subjective of course 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I doubt I could name 3 ABBA albums ,

Wasn’t a fan of Dunkirk , the whole repeat the timeline thing didn’t work for me ... at times it looked like a film being clever for the sake of being clever , also lost a point at the end when they arrive at Woking station when clearly it wasn’t :)

1917 was  a crap story line forgiven by some decent camera work , but wouldn’t hold up to the repeat viewing test that some films have ...

all subjective of course 

Voulez Vous

Best Of, double album.

6 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

You could apply that same review to the other 8 SW films tbf .... 

i remember seeing it at the cinema and thinking “meh” , I watched it again the other night with Mrs H and i didn’t think it was quite so bad second time around ... not great but maybe it’s this decades Hudson Hawk and it will slowly grow on people :) 

You leave Hudson Hawk alone, I love that film! 

One of the greatest movie scenes in history right here 

• Like 1

Watched "Doubt" yesterday.

Pretty good, Hoffman and Streep are great as usual, but I thought it ended a bit abruptly. Would have like to see more regarding Father Flynn's misbehaviour.

technically Dunkirk is a stunning film, saw it in IMAX, its beautifully shot and the best sounding film I've ever seen but take away the playing with time and the repeated scenes from different perspectives and theres not a whole lot to it, style over substance would be harsh but it definitely knocks it down to an 8/10

1917 was solid enough but not spectacular, again its better technically

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

Voulez Vous

Best Of, double album.

I was going with Arrival and Gold which I think was their greatest hits album ... though it seems from your list they cheated and released more than one Best off album 

Sholay (1975) IMDb

Hindi film recommended to me years ago by mates, it was sold to me as a curry western and mates always asking have you seen it yet, so hunted it down.

I've seen films from all over the world but never fancied anything from India as just have this vision of Bollywood weird (to me) dancing and ridiculous death scenes etc

Basically its two outlaws are enlisted to capture a notorious bandit. It steals from many different genres, actually no, its steals from every genre except sci fi 😊

It was epic, quite long, needs some commitment but is quite rewarding. It worked best when it was being funny, particularly the evil prison commandant Charlie Chaplin impression and the always nagging Basanti.

The thing I'll remember most is the love of the two bandits, neither would hesitate to die for the other and it really is the heart of the film.

If you enjoy world cinema give it a go. 

8/10

Â