The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

9 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Indeed! Almost 3 hours flew by...what an amazing soundtrack (Feel Flows is **** brilliant).

So off I go to Discogs to check out the soundtrack LP....oh dear...over £200!

Iirc it's semi-autobiographical as well which kinda makes it even better. Haven't watched it in a long time (and never watched the extended cut where you're supposed to play Stairway) but still sticks in the memory. Singlehandedly lead to groups of us drunkenly singing Tiny Dancer on uni nights out. And it is a great soundtrack - it couldn't not be, really.

12 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Beyond jack sparrow was that world really that interesting? Personally for me it wasn't which is why the franchise failed, it went nowhere or built on top of the 1st film, it just repeated it over and over 

I don't think so either, but did it fail? Not in the view of the executives and accountants. Here's the world box office figures:

- First film - $654m

- Second film - $1.06b

- Third film - $963m

- Fourth film -  $1.04b

- Fifth film - $795m

Hence, lazy reboot for the win!

Watched 21 Bridges on Amazon Prime last night. 

Produced by the Russo Bros and starring Chadwick Boseman. 

It’s a decent action flick and there’s some good performances from Boseman, Sienna Miller, JK Simmons and Stephan James. 

I think it tries to be something heavier without quite making it, but it’s just over 90mins long and decent, easy viewing. 

7/10 WB 

Hostiles (2017): Top notch, with excellent pacing and acting all round. Loads of great mood and epic scenery. Bale outstanding as usual.

Spoiler

The ending is about right for the movie... you just know a studio exec forced it though.

• Like 1

Watched "Punch Drunk Love". Bit of a change for Sandler, I liked it.

Second consecutive movie I've watched where Phillip Seymour Hoffman appears. Quite the loss, he was.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rjw63 said:

Watched "Punch Drunk Love". Bit of a change for Sandler, I liked it.

Second consecutive movie I've watched where Phillip Seymour Hoffman appears. Quite the loss, he was.

Quite the underrated actor. He lit up every film he did.

He did the sleazy californian/trust fund kid better than anyone. 

Brandt in The Big Lebowski as well. Excellent. I always loved his role in Talented Mr Ripley, too.

I watched Room tonight. It's absolutely brilliant, I was welling up from about 10 minutes in until the end, but it's captivating.

Available on Amazon, and worth 2 hours of anyone's time.

Held captive for 7 years in an enclosed space, a woman and her young son finally gain their freedom, allowing the boy to experience the outside world for the first time.

• Like 2

The Room is excellent. 

Re-watched GOTG yesterday and it.holds up well, great fun.

Tonight, different kettle of fish and Portrait of A Woman on Fire by Celine Sciamma. Fantastic performances by the two leads- set in c.17th, 18thC France. It is a love story, where a painter has been sent to paint a woman who refuses to be painted ( as the portrait is to be sent by the family to.) an intended suitor ).

It is so good.

7 hours ago, villakram said:

Hostiles (2017): Top notch, with excellent pacing and acting all round. Loads of great mood and epic scenery. Bale outstanding as usual.

Hide contents

The ending is about right for the movie... you just know a studio exec forced it though.

Just watched this. Bale really is **** good.

2 hours ago, Davkaus said:

I watched Room tonight. It's absolutely brilliant, I was welling up from about 10 minutes in until the end, but it's captivating.

Available on Amazon, and worth 2 hours of anyone's time.

I assume you meant "The Room" and found this brief review absolutely fascinating :D 

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Watched “Sorry to bother you” tonight

what a steaming pile of poo that film is , to paraphrase blackadder , it started badly, it tailed off a little in the middle and the less said about the end the better — but apart from that it was excellent.

i deserve a reward for seeing it through to the end ...

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 1

Now that all Star Wars movies are on Disney+, I have started watching them in chronological order. Watched episodes 1, 2 & 3 now I have to watch Solo then Rogue One before going back to a New Hope.

8 hours ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Now that all Star Wars movies are on Disney+, I have started watching them in chronological order. Watched episodes 1, 2 & 3 now I have to watch Solo then Rogue One before going back to a New Hope.

spacer.png

• Haha 1

On 09/05/2020 at 22:58, Rodders said:

Tonight, different kettle of fish and Portrait of A Woman on Fire by Celine Sciamma. Fantastic performances by the two leads- set in c.17th, 18thC France. It is a love story, where a painter has been sent to paint a woman who refuses to be painted ( as the portrait is to be sent by the family to.) an intended suitor ).

It is so good.

Watched this on your recommendation last night. Agreed that the two lead performances were exceptional, and the setting was very well realised. I loved a couple of moments as well, especially when the two of them and the maid are reading the mythology together and arguing about it, and some of the repartee about posing. On the other hand, some of the staring-lovingly-into-each-other's-eyes bits dragged on. Solid effort though.

Â