The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

22 minutes ago, GarethRDR said:

I used to be pissed that Ridley Scott effectively shot down Blomkamp's Alien concept so he could curl out his twin turds of Prometheus and Covenant.  Then I saw Chappie and... well, I think the franchise is just better off dead at this point.

District 9 was great though.

Definitely seems like he fluked district 9, everything else he has done is pretty garbage really.

• Like 1

I'd give Elysium a pass, actually come to think of it.  Avoided it for yonks because I thought it looked pants, it got put on in the background when visiting my folks a few years back, I found myself getting sucked in and by the end, for a throwaway popcorn flick it was entertaining enough.  I'll always forgive nonsense if it's fun, especially if there's some truly scenery-chewing villainy afoot and Copley's performance definitely fits the bill there.

Lone survivor turned out to be better than expected , almost regret the fact I left it so long to watch since recording it back in Feb 19

nice gory shot them up based around “real” events in the Afghan war , I suspect given their time against they would shoot the goat herders !!

well worth checking out  

• Like 2

18 hours ago, TheMelvillan said:

Dont judge me too harshly but Extraction - Netflix. Absolutely brain dead story line but fantastic action sequences if you like that sort of thing. Hemsworth is really good in it

It’s a decent film. 

Another one with a similar Avengers connection is 21 Bridges on Amazon Prime. Produced by the Russo Bros and starring Chadwick Boseman. Extraction is better, but it’s watchable and Boseman is good in it. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

Lone survivor turned out to be better than expected , almost regret the fact I left it so long to watch since recording it back in Feb 19

nice gory shot them up based around “real” events in the Afghan war , I suspect given their time against they would shoot the goat herders !!

well worth checking out  

Seemed a bit ridiculously far fetched to me, unless it really was close to the true events in which case that’s just amazing.

I mean they all got shot like 4 or 5 times, threw themselves down multiple cliffs breaking multiple bones on the way down and yet they were still able to fight back.

Just seemed like a usual US forces wankfest IMO.

Edited by bannedfromHandV

The Snyder Cut of Justice League is going to be released. Next year. On HBO's new streaming service.

I'm not convinced Snyder's vision is going to save that film, but it is true that what Whedon released as a rescue job was a complete dogs dinner that was so crap he actually puts a mildly hidden apology in the opening credits. I'd hope Snyder can put together something that was at least less shit than that. It's likely we'll get to see Darkseid and maybe they'll roll back the awful take on Steppenwolf...

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

The Snyder Cut of Justice League is going to be released. Next year. On HBO's new streaming service.

I'm not convinced Snyder's vision is going to save that film, but it is true that what Whedon released as a rescue job was a complete dogs dinner that was so crap he actually puts a mildly hidden apology in the opening credits. I'd hope Snyder can put together something that was at least less shit than that. It's likely we'll get to see Darkseid and maybe they'll roll back the awful take on Steppenwolf...

I’m interested to see it. It’s around 3 1/2 hours long apparently and he’s been given a budget to finish it ahead of its release next year. I read an article on it the other day and it sounds like a radically different film. 

2 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Seemed a bit ridiculously far fetched to me, unless it really was close to the true events in which case that’s just amazing.

I mean they all got shot like 4 or 5 times, threw themselves down multiple cliffs breaking multiple bones on the way down and yet they were still able to fight back.

Just seemed like a usual US forces wankfest IMO.

Really enjoyed that when it came out and felt similar to this but did some reading about the real events and found this....

Before filming began, Peter Berg visited the families of the dead. The father of Danny Dietz, played by Emile Hirsch, read him an autopsy report detailing the eleven bullets that tore through his son. "He was reading that and crying," says Berg, "and then he said, 'That's who my son was. That's how hard he fought. Make sure you get that right.'"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Phil Silvers said:

Really enjoyed that when it came out and felt similar to this but did some reading about the real events and found this....

Before filming began, Peter Berg visited the families of the dead. The father of Danny Dietz, played by Emile Hirsch, read him an autopsy report detailing the eleven bullets that tore through his son. "He was reading that and crying," says Berg, "and then he said, 'That's who my son was. That's how hard he fought. Make sure you get that right.'"

Really don’t want to pick holes unnecessarily but 10 of those 11 could have hit him after the first one that killed him, just saying.

I just find it a little difficult to believe that you could be shot 3 or 4 times, then throw yourself down a 100ft rocky cliff-face and then get back up and carry on firing, even if it is a tough as nails marine or whatever they were.

Though, I’ve never been shot and I’ve never thrown myself down a cliff face nor have I been in the forces so what do I know.

2 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Really don’t want to pick holes unnecessarily but 10 of those 11 could have hit him after the first one that killed him, just saying.

I just find it a little difficult to believe that you could be shot 3 or 4 times, then throw yourself down a 100ft rocky cliff-face and then get back up and carry on firing, even if it is a tough as nails marine or whatever they were.

Though, I’ve never been shot and I’ve never thrown myself down a cliff face nor have I been in the forces so what do I know.

These lads would eat a plate of chips with or without vinegar without flinching so...... no, your bang on, I do love the sentimentality of the fathers  comments though. 

6 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Tbf ,  I didn’t really watch it as a this is what happened and the US are super soldiers , indeed  I even put the word real in quotes in my initial post  ... I just thought as a film it was quite entertaining escapism ... had it been bugs instead of Taliban and was called Starship Troopers 5 I guess I’d have enjoyed it just the same 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Just watched the last Star Wars, definitely the best of this latest trilogy though that’s not too difficult to accomplish.

This might cop some heat due to men getting angry over a series that was aimed at kids. I liked that last film. Enjoyable, as I did like this last trilogy. 

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Seat68 said:

This might cop some heat due to men getting angry over a series that was aimed at kids. I liked that last film. Enjoyable, as I did like this last trilogy. 

tenor.gif

• Haha 1

Â