The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

I remember two giggling female friends "outvoting" me to put on Brokeback Mountain round of their houses. Turned out to be a bang average forbidden love story only notable for the fact it featured hitherto uncommonly gay cowboys.

Snowpiercer for me today. God that was fun. Most of the time I get wary of praise that begins with the visuals etc, but the design of that train was incredible. So many good performances in that. And any film that features Ed Harris receives an immediate boost in watchability on top of that. 

51 minutes ago, Rodders said:

I remember two giggling female friends "outvoting" me to put on Brokeback Mountain round of their houses. Turned out to be a bang average forbidden love story only notable for the fact it featured hitherto uncommonly gay cowboys.

Snowpiercer for me today. God that was fun. Most of the time I get wary of praise that begins with the visuals etc, but the design of that train was incredible. So many good performances in that. And any film that features Ed Harris receives an immediate boost in watchability on top of that. 

There is a TV-show based on the comic starting on May 17th. Hopefully it will be as good.

On Snowpiercer that is

1 hour ago, Rodders said:

I've never watched it again but from what I can remember I actually thought it was pretty good, beautifully shot and although the central story arc wasn't a shocker for me in the same way that I bet it did yank audiences it was still good

That year was imo one of the great years for the best picture Oscar, I really enjoyed crash, saw it on a screener after seeing a good write up about it before its release let alone Oscar winner hype, capote, Munich, good night and good luck are all great films 

On 30/04/2020 at 16:17, Rodders said:

DHUTWU x2

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, villa4europe said:

I'll throw it out there....i really like Brad Pitt 

I think he's underrated, probably due to being a pretty boy and an off screen celebrity, but he's one of my favourite actors and his production studio is pretty good too

I like him as well. Same with DiCaprio. Both got tarred with the 'heartthrob' brush in their early career but they are both great actors. 

The difference with Pitt and DiCaprio was how they took their careers. DiCaprio did a few 'heartthrob' movies in his early career but then moved into the more worthy, awards-y stuff (basically by becoming Scorsese's new front man for what, 4, 5 movies?).

Pitt kinda didn't. His career has basically been solid, well made, mostly well received successful genre stuff that was never going to get him any acting awards. Obviously theres exceptions to that, he's done a few Oscar nod films over his career, but he never made that switch DiCaprio did where he was shifting his standing towards only being in critically acclaimed stuff.

On the other hand he did dig out a successful career as a producer from an awards and nominations point of view.

They're both bloody good actors, and the awards for Once Upon a Time in Hollywood Pitt got were thoroughly deserved - you stop seeing Brad Pitt, he embodies that character.

• Like 1

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990)... Enjoyed it, although I thought Master Splinter was far and away the best character in the movie, wouldn't mind seeing him get his own film Joker style, with the right people behind it... Also watched Orphée (1950), Liked it a lot especially the way they did the special effects.

• Like 1

On 30/04/2020 at 23:18, Chindie said:

Finally caught Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.

I like Tarantino, but I'm not a super fan. Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs, Jackie Brown are all superb, I like Kill Bill but know it's flawed, Inglorious Basterds has a handful of incredible scenes, Django is good and Hateful Eight is an indulgence that's too long for it's own good. I've never seen Deathproof thankfully. But I didn't have massive hopes for this one. It armed like Tarantino needlessly courting controversy by playing with the Tate- LaBianca murders, and also had the potential for his increasing inability to reign himself in to go overboard.

Having now seen it, I was actually surprised how much I liked it. It's basically a love note to Hollywood's golden era filled out with how it died, and painted with nods and winks to various bits of Hollywood mythos. I was concerned this was going to be a film either obsessed with the Manson Family or that used it as cynical wallpaper. It doesn't. The event casts an ominous shadow over the entire thing, if you know the story, but it never quite becomes what the film is about. It's almost a subplot. 

But what's odd about the film is that, well... It's all indulgence. The plot here is, well... There's barely any of it. It's an excuse for Tarantino to go on a trip to LA in 1969, and do some fan fiction stuff with composite characters of various low level Hollywood stars. But it's really watchable, it's **** driven by Pitt and DiCaprio, Pitt is on fire in it. And it's gorgeous. And the soundtrack is perfect. And it's less reliant on Tarantino's crutch of long snappy dialogue scenes.

It's kinda great.

Very good summary IMO, you capture both what I was afraid of before watching it and what I enjoyed about actually doing so. I'm not really fussed about plot if a film can occupy a time and a space and make it real for me, and as you say it does that well.

• Like 1

On 30/04/2020 at 18:18, villa4europe said:

I've never watched it again but from what I can remember I actually thought it was pretty good, beautifully shot and although the central story arc wasn't a shocker for me in the same way that I bet it did yank audiences it was still good

That year was imo one of the great years for the best picture Oscar, I really enjoyed crash, saw it on a screener after seeing a good write up about it before its release let alone Oscar winner hype, capote, Munich, good night and good luck are all great films 

Agree with your view on Brokeback Mountain, which was a very good film, but it losing to Crash was one of the all-time Best Picture injustices. Crash was pants from beginning to end.

It's kinda great.

That's my viewing for tonight sorted.....thanks

Decided to watch "The Quiet Man" (again) last night, the wife has never seen it.

Easily my favourite John Wayne movie and in my all time Top 5.

• Like 2

I like Tarantino, but I'm not a super fan. Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs, Jackie Brown are all superb, I like Kill Bill but know it's flawed, Inglorious Basterds has a handful of incredible scenes, Django is good and Hateful Eight is an indulgence that's too long for it's own good. I've never seen Deathproof thankfully. But I didn't have massive hopes for this one. It armed like Tarantino needlessly courting controversy by playing with the Tate- LaBianca murders, and also had the potential for his increasing inability to reign himself in to go overboard.

Having now seen it, I was actually surprised how much I liked it. It's basically a love note to Hollywood's golden era filled out with how it died, and painted with nods and winks to various bits of Hollywood mythos. I was concerned this was going to be a film either obsessed with the Manson Family or that used it as cynical wallpaper. It doesn't. The event casts an ominous shadow over the entire thing, if you know the story, but it never quite becomes what the film is about. It's almost a subplot. 

But what's odd about the film is that, well... It's all indulgence. The plot here is, well... There's barely any of it. It's an excuse for Tarantino to go on a trip to LA in 1969, and do some fan fiction stuff with composite characters of various low level Hollywood stars. But it's really watchable, it's **** driven by Pitt and DiCaprio, Pitt is on fire in it. And it's gorgeous. And the soundtrack is perfect. And it's less reliant on Tarantino's crutch of long snappy dialogue scenes.

It's kinda great.

This is a pretty much perfect way to describe it. 

I loved it first time around and I’m looking forward to watching it again with a bit of a buzz on. It’s a fantastic film. 

• Like 1

2nd new jumanji film

I liked the 1st new, thought it was fun and the actors looked like they were having fun too

2nd one is shit, misses the beat in so many places that I thought it was actually a bit boring 

Take 3 of the biggest personalities in Hollywood with the premise that they switch personality and become someone else... Hart in particular is neutered, the old man thing didn't work for me at all and even some of the big set pieces (the bridges stuff) just didn't work 

2 hours ago, rjw63 said:

Decided to watch "The Quiet Man" (again) last night, the wife has never seen it.

Easily my favourite John Wayne movie and in my all time Top 5.

I could probably recite every line in that movie.

John Ford was one of the masters for sure. 

• Like 2

Â