The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

I'm no movie hipster. I enjoy shit hollywood flicks and stuff most of you probably look down upon. Movies to me largely are something I have on in the background when eating, answering emails and such.

Best movie I've seen is surprisingly an old one. 12 angry men was superb. 

So I wondered if you people could recommend other old movies that are very good. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I'm no movie hipster. I enjoy shit hollywood flicks and stuff most of you probably look down upon. Movies to me largely are something I have on in the background when eating, answering emails and such.

So I wondered if you people could recommend other old movies that are very good. 

Nah this thread has quite a spread of tastes and interests. Celebrate what you like. I like disaster movies. Most of them are rubbish, but they entertain me and I wouldn't do myself down and call them "guilty pleasures" either. 

But for old movies that are very good ( a somewhat broad topic ) - I'll recommend Dr. Strangelove, North by Northwest, Rear Window, Citizen Kane, Casablanca, Breakfast at Tiffany's, Les Diaboliques, Bicycle Thieves, Paths of Glory for starters. 

These are very high profile / iconic old films that will be in many "best of " type films but well worth their reputations. A mix of comedy, thriller, drama, horror etc. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 24/05/2020 at 20:52, Seat68 said:

Rocketman. My wife loved it. I thought it was OK. Much preferred Bohemian Rhapsody. I wasnt invested in it. 

Yeah I watched it over the weekend too, didn’t know it was a bloody musical.

Didnt really enjoy it as a result.

Much like the Highlander, there can be only one.............and that one, is Grease.

2 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

The asphalt Jungle

The Killing

Sweet Smell of Success 

To Kill A Mockingbird 

The Maltese Falcon

Rebecca

The Treasure of the Sierra Madre

Night and the City

Rififi

Laura

The Grapes of Wrath

The Third Man

Those that Ridders listed are top quality too

• Like 3

Modern prison films are my favourite films for some reason. So in a rough order of my favourite first:

Felon

Shot Caller

The Informer

Brawl in Cell Block 99

Starred Up

A Prayer Before Dawn

If anyone has anymore for me to watch that would be great, already added Avengement

9 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

Modern prison films are my favourite films for some reason. So in a rough order of my favourite first:

Felon

Shot Caller

The Informer

Brawl in Cell Block 99

Starred Up

A Prayer Before Dawn

If anyone has anymore for me to watch that would be great, already added Avengement

https://youtu.be/3M-hPpuAqwQ

This is a prison documentary mate, unbelievable what happened there, well worth a watch, bit brutal though 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Yeah I watched it over the weekend too, didn’t know it was a bloody musical.

Didnt really enjoy it as a result.

Much like the Highlander, there can be only one.............and that one, is Grease.

South Park: Bigger Longer and Uncut is clearly the greatest musical.

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

Felon

Shot Caller

The Informer

Brawl in Cell Block 99

Starred Up

A Prayer Before Dawn

Check out Michael Inside on Netflix it’s a good low budget one, more realistic than gangster though.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wilko154 said:

Felon

Shot Caller

The Informer

Brawl in Cell Block 99

Starred Up

A Prayer Before Dawn

A Prophet Poster                                                               Cell 211 Poster

It's French so subtitles needed, quite good this one.            And a Spanish one that I think was also pretty good but I only saw that one once.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, wilko154 said:

Felon

Shot Caller

The Informer

Brawl in Cell Block 99

Starred Up

A Prayer Before Dawn

Whilst not a film, you should check out The Night Of a sky mini series which has a lot of prison life scenes. It was very decent.

• Like 2

Vivarium was a bit shit.

Like an extended episode of The Twilight Zone or Black Mirror, only there is nothing in it.

Tries to be weird and trippy but is just a big meh. Ended up skipping through it towards the end just to get it over with.

5/10, don't bother.

• Sad 1

On 01/06/2020 at 21:21, Wainy316 said:

South Park: Bigger Longer and Uncut is clearly the greatest musical.

Yep, the 4 song mash up was Oscar nominated too, it’s an incredible film

i saw it on a first date, not a clue what she thought of it but I was laughing like a maniac throughout

I never caught 1917 at the cinema, but wanted to see it especially given the buzz around it.

So finally got round to it today.

It's... fine. The problem is it's basically an exercise in filmmaking showmanship and that actively works against it. The film is structured around 2 things - single shot cinematography and a 'real time' events. And while technically impressive, it actively detracts from the film. The dick waving is such you end up watching the skills of the filmmakers than the film itself, and for me at least the film itself kinda suffocates under it.

It's undoubtedly impressive, the feat of doing the 'one shot' storytelling is immense and they've done it with aplomb, but, to use a metaphor I use too much, it's like watching a virtuoso guitarist. The skill on show is great, but to my ear the music made suffers for it. 

I'd heard a lot of people say it's an emotional film. For me, it's not really. It's emotional insofar as basically anything from WW1 is emotional with the knowledge we have now, as a culture really, of the immense and stupid sacrifice made. This doesn't really have much more than that. There's obviously moments of emotion in its plot, but the conceit of the film acts against investing you in it. You are dragged through the plot by the real time and single shot structure, which prevents you really having time for investment in the characters or for moments to breathe or have the cinematography 'sell' characters as much as one that could cut and shift like any other movie. It tries to address this, but it doesn't really work imo, 

There's no technical faults in it (there's a couple of continuity niggles and it makes some decisions in order to fudge things to it's structural needs), it's beautifully shot (as Deakins stuff always is) and the performances are excellent. But it all is hampered as it dies on the altar of cinematographical dick waving.

• Like 1

On 01/06/2020 at 19:53, wilko154 said:

Felon

Shot Caller

The Informer

Brawl in Cell Block 99

Starred Up

A Prayer Before Dawn

love the part in brawl in cell block 99 at the start where he beats his car up 

Â