The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

14 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

I've always thought Carell is on his way to being a modern day Peter Sellars. I can see him playing some really dark roles.

He was absolutely brilliant in Fox catcher and also really good in The Way Way Back.

He could easily have become typecast after Anchorman and The Office but hes clearly a very good actor.

21 hours ago, stewiek2 said:

Looks exactly like the first one but with different characters taking the main focus. 

Watched Detroit yesterday.  Was good, not amazing but worthy of a watch. 

Edited by PieFacE

Gave Kingsman: The Golden Circle a good 25 minutes before I switched it off

I understand it's supposed to be sort of a comedy, comic book thing but it was awful.

Felt like I was watching that animated Tintin movie during the opening scenes, then it went Austin Powers without the funny bits.

Having a few crappy Swedish actors in it just made it even worse.

Not for me this one.

Justice League. Meh! Just a bit of a mess. The dialogue at times was cringeworthy. The villain not great. The 'character development' almost non-existant. I'll stick to Marvel thanks! 

Spoiler

My two favourite bits of ''dialogue'' were between Lois Lane and Superman. He is just brought back to life, a supposedly romantic loved up scene and she said 'You smell nice!'. she then proceeds to ask him what 'it' (aka. being dead) was like, and his response? 'Itchy'. Urgh! Who seriously wrote this stuff?

20 hours ago, Rodders said:

Yep, no part was overblown,  and King's personal story was handled nicely.

I watched this on Tues

apart from the lack of scissor action I thought it was a good film  , even if the cut shots to watching men as Riggs lost to BJK were rather OTT and I'm fairly sure not necessary

dunno why but Laurie made me think of Fred from Scooby Doo every time he came on screen

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NoelVilla said:

Just watched Whiplash(2014). I enjoyed it and someone who likes jazz music should enjoy it even more.

Pooligan, is that you? ;)

Well arse to that.  "Every frame a painting" now officially dead.

Clickety linkings (better formatting within the article)

It had so much left to give.

If you're a fan of both films and YouTube channels dedicated to exploring and analysing films, you're probably familiar with the excellent Every Frame a Painting.

Run by writer/editors Tony Zhou and Taylor Ramos, the series was particularly great at breaking down how films are presented, and highlighting the tiny little details employed by great directors and editors.

Their critique on the use of music in the Marvel Cinematic Universe is widely acclaimed, and for good reason:

The channel had been inactive for some time, with fans speculating as to whether or not it would ever post a new video.

Zhou and Ramos finally emerged for a lengthy "Postmortem" in which the pair explained that they have been too busy to continue working on the channel.

“In the past year, we’ve both started new jobs and taken on other freelance work. Things started piling up and it took all our energy to get through the work we’d agreed to do.

"When we started this YouTube project, we gave ourselves one simple rule: if we ever stopped enjoying the videos, we’d also stop making them. And one day, we woke up and felt it was time.”

A sad day, but thankfully, Every Frame a Painting is still online. If you're unfamiliar, it's worth a deep dive.

In addition to the Marvel video above, the channel also provided insightful mini-essays on the likes of Michael Bay: 

Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened, etc...

3 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Baywatch. Yes it's a bit of a piss take, referencing the series. But it has it moments and some excellent bikini shots. Nice easy watch 

The Rock? Check

Lots of fit and busty women in bikinis? Check

XCavvfK.gif

• Like 2

91ioxMQxQSL._SL1500_.jpg

Watched this last night on US Netflix. 

Some very uncomfortable scenes as the guards really got into their 'roles.'  Couldn't quite believe the lead psychologist would be so psychopathic himself. Surely he would have been more scientific about the experiment?

Worth a watch to kill a couple of hours 7/10

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

91ioxMQxQSL._SL1500_.jpg

Watched this last night on US Netflix. 

Some very uncomfortable scenes as the guards really got into their 'roles.'  Couldn't quite believe the lead psychologist would be so psychopathic himself. Surely he would have been more scientific about the experiment?

Worth a watch to kill a couple of hours 7/10

Loved this film as I studied psychology, the experiment was ground breaking for the world of psychology, stemming a focus on ethics and morality. Enjoyed the Forest Whittaker version too

Â