The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

17 hours ago, Brumerican said:

Hmm.

I really like Sicario and would have thought I'd have been down for more. But... That kinda looks like a very different beast. I could almost place Liam Neeson in there and have it like a Taken spin off.

Will probably watch still.

On 20/12/2017 at 18:26, mikeyp102 said:

Scrooged with Bill Murray one of the best Christmas  movies 

I want to give you that all important fifth like, but I can’t.

I do like the film, but the saccharine ending let’s it down. It’s nearly great, but just misses out for me.

The Great Wall
:blink: What in the world did i just watch??!!  So bad i would ordinarily have turned it off after 5 minutes but I had to see it out just for Matt Damon's (non) performance... it's pure hilarity.  You can see him dying inside with every scene!!

Life
Now I wasn't expecting much as i'd seen a few bad reviews, but I quite enjoyed it.  Found the dialogue a bit hard to follow at first, but once it settles down it's a decent watch.  If I had to sum it up, it's a modern day, poor man's Alien - worth a watch.

Yep avoid Bright. Don’t even be lured in by morbid curiosity  

Everyone involved has had an absolute ‘mare. It misses the mark in every possible way. Whilst incredibly generic, it’s so weirdly/badly staged that it doesn’t even seem like a ‘proper’ film (if that makes sense). It’s a shame as it should be an interesting idea but it’s memorably awful enough for it to be up there as one of the worst films I’ve ever seen. Possibly the worst directed.

11 hours ago, GREAT_BEARD_OF_ZEUS said:

Life
Now I wasn't expecting much as i'd seen a few bad reviews, but I quite enjoyed it.  Found the dialogue a bit hard to follow at first, but once it settles down it's a decent watch.  If I had to sum it up, it's a modern day, poor man's Alien - worth a watch.

Agreed, I really enjoyed it, it doesn' pretend to be something it's not. It's a shit alien film and it knowsit and has fun with it.

The only thing that bothered me was when they decided to make the alien all anthropomorphic, that wasn't needed.

Bright wasn’t that bad, I’ve seen a lot worse. It’s just a by the numbers buddy cop film with a weird fantasy twist, nothing more. It’s probably about 20 minutes too long but it was ok. It would have made a better TV series imo, something akin to Space Precinct. 

There are things that, just from the idea being described, you can tell are going to be shit. Bright is one of those things. Even if you gave it the benefit of the doubt, you look at the trailer and it makes you wonder who watched that footage add thought not 'we're onto a winner here boys', but instead looked it at and didn't think 'ooh shit this is completely bobbins and needs to be killed now to save embarrassment'.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ingram85 said:

Because it really isn’t as bad as people make out perhaps?

Its not great or good it’s just average but it’s not the worst film ever as some dramatically say. 

A wee bit patronising. Opinions innit. I don’t think I’m being dramatic by saying that, to me, it genuinely stands out as one of the worst films I can remember watching, certainly in the last few years. There was potential for some mindless fun but it’s horrendously executed IMO. Action, ‘story’, dialogue, direction all absolute shit of the highest order.

Edited by JB

1 hour ago, JB said:

A wee bit patronising. Opinions innit. I don’t think I’m being dramatic by saying that, to me, it genuinely stands out as one of the worst films I can remember watching, certainly in the last few years. There was potential for some mindless fun but it’s horrendously executed IMO. Action, ‘story’, dialogue, direction all absolute shit of the highest order.

I wasn’t referring to your post tbh, all the critic sites when you look on the news section when googling bright are labelling it as the worst film of 2017 etc... its really not. It’s just an average buddy cop film. It’s a 4-5/10 not a 1 or 2 IMO. If my post was patronising then the other posts lambasting it are just as patronising but truth is none of our posts are, it’s all our opinion. I for one was mildly entertained by this oddball film and think it’s odd how people arrive at saying it’s the worst ever, they are entitled to their opinion, I haven’t said they are idiots for thinking so, I just disagree by saying it’s average. I’m not even praising it ffs :P

Â