The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

6 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

My lad is only 11 and i’m lucky I’ve already been able to watch the Star Wars saga, Indiana Jones, the goonies etc etc already.

however, I look forward to the day when I can sling on the likes of Aliens, Predator etc and watch them with him too :) 

11 is the best time to watch Predator. I first saw it at that age and loved it immediately.

...just me?

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, theboyangel said:

The Karl Urban remake is a much much better vision of Dredd. 

The Stallone one was utter cocked up by the Hollywood movie machine... a disaster of a film.

Funnily enough I was chatting to a bloke in my local the other night who said he worked on the initial draft of the Karl Urban dredd film before leaving the project. 

It’s a rather tenuous link but I understand that the “Peach Tree” block where the film takes place is named after a bar/restaurant in Shrewsbury. I’ve been drunk in there on many an occasion.

And sod it, as we’re down the rabbit hole here, I’ve not seen any of the Rambo films either. Again, they’re never on the telly. The Rocky films are always on. The closest I’ve got to seeing a Rambo film is that bit in Gremlins 2 and Hot Shots part deux.

Edited by Shropshire Lad
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, theboyangel said:

My lad is only 11 and i’m lucky I’ve already been able to watch the Star Wars saga, Indiana Jones, the goonies etc etc already.

however, I look forward to the day when I can sling on the likes of Aliens, Predator etc and watch them with him too :) 

What does your 11 year old think of those classic movies compared to all of the CGI they are bombarded with these days? Blockbuster movies seem to be much faster these days but with near zero plot.

21 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

What does your 11 year old think of those classic movies compared to all of the CGI they are bombarded with these days? Blockbuster movies seem to be much faster these days but with near zero plot.

Loves them to bits.

he also likes some modern day stuff, like the marvel movies (esp guardians of the galaxy) but Star Wars is definitely his favourite. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Chindie said:

11 is the best time to watch Predator. I first saw it at that age and loved it immediately.

...just me?

no i was probably close to the same age

can remember aliens being shown on a week night on ITV, saw the advert, begged my mom to let me stay up and watch it, she said i could have the extra hour and watch it up until the break for the news...she knew **** all happens in the first hour! luckily a mate at school had taped it without his parent knowing and i got to watch the end round his a week later, hero

3 hours ago, theboyangel said:

The Karl Urban remake is a much much better vision of Dredd. 

The Stallone one was utter cocked up by the Hollywood movie machine... a disaster of a film.

I am sure I read Stallone demanded that he remove the helmet :rolleyes:

7 hours ago, Rodders said:

Watched Battle of the Sexes last night. Really good film. Seems honest to all characters, well judged and entertaining. Doesn't caricature Riggs as a cartoon protagonist and Emma Stone is superb as BJ King

Very good movie, can see Carell getting an Oscar nominated for his role. Thought the romantic parts were done well as other movies would have made it more cheesy

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Very good movie, can see Carell getting an Oscar nominated for his role. Thought the romantic parts were done well as other movies would have made it more cheesy

Yep, no part was overblown,  and King's personal story was handled nicely.

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

I've always thought Carell is on his way to being a modern day Peter Sellars. I can see him playing some really dark roles.

Â