The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

19 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Who could possibly have imagined that building a children's amusement park on a remote island containing an active volcano, populated by badly-secured carniverous beasts, could have had such negative consequences. 

I think we need to contact the Health and Safety Executive. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Anyone seen justice league yet? i love justice league but the film looks crap. My friend who is  a massive batman fan said its very disappointing. 

Cough

I don't really know where to start with Justice League. It's not completely hopeless?

TLDR - it's not very good.

6 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Who could possibly have imagined that building a children's amusement park on a remote island containing an active volcano, populated by badly-secured carniverous beasts, could have had such negative consequences. 

Well you all wanted to know what Randy Lerner has been up to since he sold the Villa. There's your answer.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Meath_Villan said:

Dunkirk .... I cant be the only one who thought it was a bit ...megh ......

I’m not offended that you didn’t read my post about it honest ... sniff

i thought it was meh as well 

49 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I’m not offended that you didn’t read my post about it honest ... sniff

i thought it was meh as well 

Sorry dude will have a look for it .......on another note I see the director of the new Jurassic thing says he wanted to bring the fear back .......so I watched the trailer .....it ......looks ......shite 

I was channel hopping last night and was APPALLED to see Karate Kid on one of the channels.

Not THE Karate Kid, but a remake with jackie Chan and that horrible Will Smith offspring...FFS is nothing sacred?

• Like 1

On 19/11/2017 at 17:40, Chindie said:

I don't really know where to start with Justice League. It's not completely hopeless?

The was always going to be a messy film, a last minute director change, extensive reshoots, etc. But wow is it messy. It doesn't have pacing, at all, there's absolutely no sense of an act structure to the thing. The entire thing feels like it's in a rush to be over. In turn it seems to have no confidence in itself, it doesn't allow any scenes to breathe or have impact, preferring instead to smash through to the next seem less anyone notice it. I didn't think it was possible, but this might be first nervous movie I've seen.

The plot concerns a villain wanting 3 things that will destroy the world, and Batman trying to put together a team to fight back. The are 'subplots' but a few of these last for literally a scene. Cyborg, for instance, is supposed to have a spin on the Frankenstein's monster thing, where he has to accept what he now is, but the movie literally bins this idea at birth. So you get this bizarre situation where he's supposed to be a sullen guy who wants to be left alone, to in the space of 1 conversation with Wonder Woman is joining up with the rest of the team.

The dialogue is awful. There's so many horrible exposition scenes, so many scenes with people saying things in a manner nobody in the entire history of humanity has ever said. Introducing us to Cyborg's dad, a cleaner suddenly drops a ton of dialogue lead with 'Good night Silas. By the way, I didn't have chance to say, sorry about your son'. The opening has a criminal just caught by Batman basically fill the role of the opening crawl of a Star Wars movie, but written by someone with a lobotomy. Aquaman has a truly hopeless scene with Mera, played by Amber Heard, who brings to the role the ability to fit into a skin tight suit, but not the ability to sell explaining a character's backstory to that character, without it sounding like it was sledgehammered into the plot on pain of death. This scene also reveals that they need to have some imaginative ways to make sure the characters in his solo movie can speak to each other, because boy is the solution here bad. Then there's the obvious Whedon scenes thrown in, all of which you can spot from different timezones, which are riddled with awful banter and particularly poor jokes (there are 3 decent gags in the entire thing). If you think Marvel's stuff isn't funny, you'll think this is as funny as bad trip to the dentist. 

The CGI is astonishingly bad for a film that cost as much as this did. Steppenwolf, a bad villain to start with, looks worse than some videogame cutscenes, with dreadful design work to go along with it (and he's barely a character. He's bad. The end). But then you have stuff like a few shots of the Batmobile in action scenes that almost look unfinished, and best of all, Henry Cavill's moustache. You can see his weird plastic looking top lip in loads of scenes where they've thrown some pixel makeup over his 'tache, and it's hilariously bad.

And it's tone deaf. This is a movie that contains a scene where, trying to establish the world has gone to pot, decides to show a couple of guys booting over a crate of oranges in slowmo, followed shortly afterwards by a scene of school children about to be executed by terrorists. I literally laughed at the scene of a coffin being dug up by moonlight, a truly bizarre scene that feels like a parody straight of a bad sketch show.

Even the action is bad. There's hints of better stuff (there's a few very very brief moments of them 'getting' Batman but nothing to touch the warehouse fight from the last film for instance) and one decent sequence, but largely it's really dull by the numbers stuff thats completely outshone by nearly all of its peers. Most obviously they do nothing with the Flash that the X-Men take on Quicksilver hasn't completely blown away. Pretty much the only thing they do in any Flash moment that stands out isn't even done by the Flash. The film doesn't know what to do with the characters. Batman pretty much sticks to vehicles, Aquaman doesn't do much beyond what we've seen in the trailers, Wonder Woman has a couple 'hero' scenes, the first on which is so daft looking you can't take it seriously even if you wanted to. Superman does... Well, what can you say really? 

It's... It's bad. There's barely a plot, the villain is awful, it looks ropey as ****, it's all over the place in tone, the script is dreadful... It's a mess. It could have been worse, underneath it's largely competent, it's major flaws, bar CGI, all come from errors in the writing, the cast is mostly fine working with the rubbish they've been given, it lasts 2 hours and literally buggers off at speed. With low expectations you could enjoy it, it requires no effort to engage with it on any level, a few scenes are pretty enough. But wow... BvS is arguably more successful in many ways. Less messy for a start.

It's a damn shame they **** this up. There's stuff to like about the DCCU. Afflecks Batman has potential for a more comic true take, they understand how to make him move and act correctly. We finally have a nod towards a good comic Superman. Wonder Woman isn't a great actress but it just about works. Aquaman might be fun. Occasionally it looks right. But they've **** it. They gave the wrong man too much control, they didn't have the studio controlling where things went, they obviously had no arc planned, they've wasted storylines and misused them, got the tone wrong, built the universe wrongly desperate to catch up, and messed up all the planning. And we get this. And all the other mad ideas they have allegedly on where to go.

What a mess.

I'll wait for DVD had a feeling it was going to be crap. Such a bloody shame

12 hours ago, Meath_Villan said:

Sorry dude will have a look for it .......on another note I see the director of the new Jurassic thing says he wanted to bring the fear back .......so I watched the trailer .....it ......looks ......shite 

If he wanted fear he should have cast Kevin Spacey! 

Just watched mother! Didn't like it, I like Aronofsky but I couldn't get on with this at all.

It was trying to ram home a point that just completely passed me by.

I'l be watching Dunkirk tomorrow, I've been really looking forward to that so I'm unhappy that people on here are saying it was just 'meh'

Edited by leemond2008

I think the narrative 'vehicle', so to speak,  used in Dunkirk is such that it made me wonder how much better it would have been with a different approach - and a different director. Spielberg is an easy example to suggest. If you have a real hard on for Nolan then I'm sure you'll love it. 

There are some great moments even if you don't, though, which probably make it worth a watch regardless. I was also pleasantly surprised that it's very far from 'that film with Harry Styles in'. It's good casting, he fits the bill perfectly as a fresh faced young lad thrown on to the war. 

Logan Lucky, a really decent heist flick that manages to be witty and engaging without the plot relying on hitech devices to rob an Indy car race track. 

All the main leads, Channing Tatum, Adam Driver and even Daniel Craig were brilliant.

A great return to directing by steven soderbergh, well worth a watch. 

On 09/12/2017 at 12:12, leemond2008 said:

I'l be watching Dunkirk tomorrow, I've been really looking forward to that so I'm unhappy that people on here are saying it was just 'meh'

Just watched Dunkirk, it was a bit 'meh'

Edited by leemond2008
  • Haha 1

Mother is indeed hard work, I’m sure it’s too clever for me but it just came off as pretentious in the end. The first half of the film was great though so it was a dissapointment overall.

Edited by AVFCDAN

Â