The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

:D

I had a similar reaction from my mates when I told them about robocop. 

I know it was a big thing when I was a kid, just never got round to seeing it. It’s never on telly (certainly not shown as often as the likes of terminator, predator etc). 

There’s probably a few of those sort of films I’ve also not seen. Never really appealed to me. The Stallone judge dredd film is another one i’ve never seen.

Edited by Shropshire Lad
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Shropshire Lad said:

There’s probably a few of those sort of films I’ve also not seen. Never really appealed to me. The Stallone judge dredd film is another one i’ve never seen.

giphy.gif

• Like 1

To be fair I wouldn't put Dredd on the same level as Robocop. 

Robocop, to me, is at the same level as Predator, Aliens, Terminator as iconic mid/late 80's action classics. 

Plus a classic theme tune!

• Like 2

My sentemonies exactly @Xela.  In the pantheon of greats, Robocop stands side by side with Terminator et al.  Dredd is not a must-see, and isn't fit to polish their proverbial boots.

• Like 1

I only mention judge dredd as it’s another big futuristic action film that seemed like a big deal when I was a kid. 

Couldn’t tell you a thing about robocop without looking it up first. Didn’t know who directed it until I saw it mentioned on the previous page. No idea it was held in such high regard. Total blind spot for me. I vaguely remember a robocop game, but that’s about it.

watched True Romance last night - fantastic fun, a tarantino script that benefits from tarantino not directing it and putting in a pointless cameo of himself. Patricia Arquette and Slater are so good together.

Fun to see a proto- Tony Soprano in violent action.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Rodders said:

watched True Romance last night - fantastic fun, a tarantino script that benefits from tarantino not directing it and putting in a pointless cameo of himself. Patricia Arquette and Slater are so good together.

Fun to see a proto- Tony Soprano in violent action.

One of my favorite scenes in cinema ever! Christopher Walken & Dennis Hopper. Absolutely brilliant - the acting, the script the music. Putting the youtube link in spoilers more because it's NSFW.

Spoiler

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Xela said:

To be fair I wouldn't put Dredd on the same level as Robocop. 

Robocop, to me, is at the same level as Predator, Aliens, Terminator as iconic mid/late 80's action classics. 

Plus a classic theme tune!

Chuck in Die Hard and Lethal Weapon that’s a humdinger set of 80s classic action movies!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BOF said:

My sentemonies exactly @Xela.  In the pantheon of greats, Robocop stands side by side with Terminator et al.  Dredd is not a must-see, and isn't fit to polish their proverbial boots.

The Karl Urban remake is a much much better vision of Dredd. 

The Stallone one was utter cocked up by the Hollywood movie machine... a disaster of a film.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Chuck in Die Hard and Lethal Weapon that’s a humdinger set of 80s classic action movies!

Don't forget Commando!

giphy.gif

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

I only mention judge dredd as it’s another big futuristic action film that seemed like a big deal when I was a kid. 

Couldn’t tell you a thing about robocop without looking it up first. Didn’t know who directed it until I saw it mentioned on the previous page. No idea it was held in such high regard. Total blind spot for me. I vaguely remember a robocop game, but that’s about it.

Next you'll be saying you haven't watched Total Recall, The Running Man, The Commitments, Top Gun or Baron Munchausen

My lad is only 11 and i’m lucky I’ve already been able to watch the Star Wars saga, Indiana Jones, the goonies etc etc already.

however, I look forward to the day when I can sling on the likes of Aliens, Predator etc and watch them with him too :) 

• Like 1

Just now, theboyangel said:

My lad is only 11 and i’m lucky I’ve already been able to watch the Star Wars saga, Indiana Jones, the goonies etc etc already.

however, I look forward to the day when I can sling on the likes of Aliens, Predator etc and watch them with him too :) 

ET and Back to the Future were always my favourites of the 80's. 

Plus the best Xmas film - Gremlins! 

Great films. 

giphy.gif

• Like 1

This latest 80's revival in the thread got me thinking of a film I've not seen in ages but that I remember as pretty good.

Also has a pretty gruesome scene involving a tank.

Really brutal movie showing the horrors of war without most of the Hollywood  bull.

MV5BYWQzNWJjODQtODlkYy00YTY4LTk2M2QtMjk5YTJiYWJjZTMyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjY3MjUzNDk@._V1_.jpg

Â