Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

10 minutes ago, nick76 said:

We are assuming Archer comes back because of the obligation to buy but Wilder might think Archer is perfect for what they need in the Championship and may want to keep him if a deal could be agreed or extension of the current deal with slight amendments.  Just because his limited use in PL, he could be perfect for what they want in the Championship.

Doubt Wilder will, he seems prefer the big lumbering types

Sheffield are supposed be in bad financial health and getting the money back might be better for them

• Like 1

19 hours ago, pas5898 said:

Morgan Rodgers success has been extremely telling.

Unai clearly has a game plan and very specific attributes he looks for, then can mold that into a good player.

I expect Moreno / Rodgers out of the blue type signings who might not be the "best players" but attributes fit perfectly into our style.

They were both signed in January, I think we’ll go for more established players in summer. Tielemans, Diaby, Torres last summer were all very good signings, the only one who’s been a bit underwhelming for what we paid is Diaby but he’ll come good I’m sure, and Torres has been a game changer. 

We’ll likely see more Rogers type signings in January as that’s how Monchi usually operates.

On 22/04/2024 at 12:58, CarryOnVilla said:

I’d be amazed if we get any sale, from the players we own in that list 

well two are loan players.....
Sanson is guaranteed to be sold for 4m as that is already agreed.
Donk and Digne would definitely receive offers.

I haven't been on for a couple of days so I am reading the last few pages at once and I don't see many posters in the 'middle'.

I'm seeing either REALLY low expectations for the club to do transfer business or people wanting us to have more players than we currently have which we can't afford to do.

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

Sheffield are supposed be in bad financial health and getting the money back might be better for them

Apparently they owe lots of teams money for player transfers where they haven't adhered to the payment terms. Don't know if we're one of the clubs.

Sheffield United Chief Exec apparently confirmed that Archerr is coming back to help with their finances, but also hinted that there might be a possibility of him going back there in the long term, presumably means if they sell some other players that might be able to buy him again, if not doesn't really matter as someone else will buy him.

Also not sure I agree he's not good enough for the Premier League, if you look closely at his stats they're not too bad considering he's been playing in one of the worst PL teams ever, he might not be good enough but I don't think it's confirmed eithe way yet.

He's not playing as much since the new year as Wilder knows he's leaving in the summer, which he's alluded to a number of times in his press conferences.

I think we will get a good fee for him, either from Championshp team with a lot of money to spend and looking to get promoted, or a newly promoted team

On 22/04/2024 at 12:39, the_sun_never_sets said:

Who would we sell / let go to free up space in the squad? 

In priority order probably...

Chambers, Olsen, Donk, Cash (replace), Lenglet (replace), Kesler maybe (though ive always liked him)

I'd keep Tim for another season. 

I think squad restrictions are going to be the biggest limiting factor in the actual transfer business vs fan expectations - people throw out so many names to buy but never say who could be sold to make way in the squad.

If you look at our European registration apart from Olsen (to be replaced with one of the young keepers) and Tim Iroegbunam (who isn’t trusted by Emery) there aren’t any obvious choices to move on - Zaniolo and Lenglet will immediately be replaced with the returning Mings and Buendia, and Kesler takes a homegrown slot so doesn’t really free up any squad space. There will be some tough decisions in the summer for Emery if we want to bring players in.

3 minutes ago, useless said:

Sheffield United Chief Exec apparently confirmed that Archerr is coming back to help with their finances, but also hinted that there might be a possibility of him going back there in the long term, presumably means if they sell some other players that might be able to buy him again, if not doesn't really matter as someone else will buy him.

Also not sure I agree he's not good enough for the Premier League, if you look closely at his stats they're not too bad considering he's been playing in one of the worst PL teams ever, he might not be good enough but I don't think it's confirmed eithe way yet.

He's not playing as much since the new year as Wilder knows he's leaving in the summer, which he's alluded to a number of times in his press conferences.

I think we will get a good fee for him, either from Championshp team with a lot of money to spend and looking to get promoted, or a newly promoted team

Hopefully the club can sell Archer for more than the final instalment from Sheffield Utd.

9 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Don't understand the clamour to get rid of Digne.  He's essentially been pivotal in us having our best season in a long, long time and he and Moreno are probably the most like-for-like replacements we have in the entire squad.

Purely down to his wage I imagine.  Yes he would be closer to the end of his career than he would to the start but it's really all down to the contract.  He's had a fine season, like the rest of the team.

1 minute ago, Killeen30 said:

Purely down to his wage I imagine.  Yes he would be closer to the end of his career than he would to the start but it's really all down to the contract.  He's had a fine season, like the rest of the team.

But surely it would cost more money to replace him than it would to cover his £120k/wk (or £45m/wk, whatever it is) wage for the remaining 2 years he has on his contract?

• Like 1

On 21/04/2024 at 22:47, paul514 said:

Well the discussion goes Kane, Watkins.... are we even taking a third player

Only because Southgate is a ****.  He'll take 12 right backs but only consider 1 striker.

34 minutes ago, bobzy said:

But surely it would cost more money to replace him than it would to cover his £120k/wk (or £45m/wk, whatever it is) wage for the remaining 2 years he has on his contract?

Also unless he goes to Saudi who’s even going to pay the wages he is currently earning so why would he leave ?

Don’t think he’s going anywhere until his contract expires and I have no issue with that. 

Wonder whether we might be interested in singing someone like Modric on a 1-2 year deal. He's 38 so obviously a bit of a risk, but others have pointed out we do lack experience and control when we've been in Europe. Modric could impart his knowledge and be a model professional whilst not being asked to play too many games but still being able to play at the highest levels here. Obviously wage demands could be an issue. 

1 hour ago, Wes said:

Some transfer tid-bits in John Percy's Article regarding Emery's new Contract

"Emery is targeting two centre-midfielders [one holding midfielder and the other a box-to-box], wingers and a centre forward in the unlikely event of leading scorer Ollie Watkins leaving for a huge transfer fee."

Two mids and a RB has to be the bare minimum in the summer. 

• Like 1

Couple of midfielders and a RB ideally. 

It'll be interesting to see if we do anything at CB. I imagine that Lenglet will be going back to Barca, but there's a question mark over Mings and how well he'll be coming back. It looked like a bloody nasty one judging by his social media posts. I really do hope that he's able to come back and play regularly for us again. 

Jeez, where's all the money coming from? I have to assume we lose one senior player in the Summer and any arrivals will be 'astute' and off-radar signings rather than some en vogue names? Fair play to the management team however: Moreno, Pau, and Rogers have all looked excellent value and all up to the standard we require, and Diaby demonstrates we are happy to pay decent money if needed. 

7 hours ago, Zatman said:

I'd have Archer back in a heartbeat for £9m. Thats pennies today 

Â