Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

MaVilla

1 hour ago, MotoMkali said:

In order of priority - 

DM - We have a bunch of players who can play the 8 role Luiz normally fills but without Kamara they all have to play in position worse for them. We also lack physicality in the middle and signing a more imposing DM could help us a lot on set pieces and vs more physical but less technically gifted teams like those we faced in the conference league.

RB - For Obvious reasons, Cash is our weakest rotation player, and signing a better RB gives us more CB depth to as we can then play Konsa either at RB or RCB. 

LB - Digne and Moreno are both in their 30s. Now is the time to sell at least one. We don't want to end up at a point in 2-3 years time where they are both regressing and we can't find any buyers for them. 

5th CB - Depending on where the club think Mings is, this one may need to be more regular than we might think but if Mings is good we only really just need one for depth (specifically Mings and Carlos injuries). Potentially if we sign someone like hermoso on a free he could fill in as both a LB and 5th choice CB, and would free us to sell both digne and Moreno and sign another attacking LB without compromising our defence. 

AFAIK we will also be forced into signing Ramsey and Archer and perhaps we can bring back philogene. If that is the case than that is probably all the attacking reinforcements we need. 

With you for the first three, then you lost me

11 minutes ago, paul514 said:

With you for the first three, then you lost me

Mings is returning from a big injury and Carlos has been injury prone this season. We need at least one more player who can cover CB, because otherwise if torres gets injured we could be left with 1 fit CB for a decent stretch. Hell it doesn't even have to be torres getting injured but if the new RB, Mings and Carlos are injured then that means we'd only have 2 players to cover 3 positions. And so we would have to play a youth player or a player out of position.

Hermoso has been rumoured on a free for instance and he can either play in a similar full back role to Konsa, or he can play as a centre back too.

If we are in the champions league next year it's not just a question of depth but a question of quality in depth. We could end up playing Bayern, Real, Barca, Bayer, Lille, Sporting, Stuggart and Bologna in the group stages. 

And if we don't go out with a whimper in the league and fa cup as we did this year we are talking somewhere in the region of 52-54 games vs significantly better competition than we had the extra games this year. 

At minimum a 5th CB is necessary whether it is keeping chambers or whether it is having a trusted youth player sit on our bench all season, bringing back Lenglet or signing someone on a free. 

If we make top 4, I'd love to have at least one midfielder with CL experience and leadership credentials come in. Away at Lille it became clear to me, that neither SJM or Dougie have the experience to control games in a high stakes european match with a hostile atmosphere.

Yes we have leaders in Martinez and Tyrone, but I feel it would be extremely valuable to have a true leader in midfield.

In an ideal world it would be someone like Hakan Çalhanoğlu from Inter (not saying he'd come or we could afford his 170k p.w.). CL experience and captain of national team, set-piece/penalty taker, vision, excellent passing range, defensive qualities and most importantly calmness and the ability to take control of games.  The guy just has an aura about him. When he speaks, everyone listens.

Not saying we could or should get him, but in my opinion we need someone with similar qualities so we don't get eaten alive in the CL.

Edited by LxYoungAVFC

50 minutes ago, LxYoungAVFC said:

If we make top 4, I'd love to have at least one midfielder with CL experience and leadership credentials come in. Away at Lille it became clear to me, that neither SJM or Dougie have the experience to control games in a high stakes european match with a hostile atmosphere.

Yes we have leaders in Martinez and Tyrone, but I feel it would be extremely valuable to have a true leader in midfield.

In an ideal world it would be someone like Hakan Çalhanoğlu from Inter (not saying he'd come or we could afford his 170k p.w.). CL experience and captain of national team, set-piece/penalty taker, vision, excellent passing range, defensive qualities and most importantly calmness and the ability to take control of games.  The guy just has an aura about him. When he speaks, everyone listens.

Not saying we could or should get him, but in my opinion we need someone with similar qualities so we don't get eaten alive in the CL.

I think what our players experienced is much bigger than many, it grew their characters aswell.

McGinn (our captain) and Mings, they’ve been in a big turn around season in promotion, Luiz and Konsa almost relegated with us and all saw us through. Then Martinez matured with us until he won Argentina things they haven’t won for around 30 years. With Watkins improving his whole game. Then you got Bailey who was up and down until he beaten his non confidence to become a player every team fear. 
Both Kamara and Torres had CL experiences. 
Our captain promoted with the team, then fought not to relegate, then had a good team for Grealish to go and Gerrard to mess things up. 
Then he comes back stronger to lead the team back to Europe (in a season where we failed to even score well), many players matured through that journey. I guess character wise we’re one of the best. 
Even new players are getting that mentality, ofcourse Emery is helping much. 

9 hours ago, the_sun_never_sets said:

I'd honestly be happy if we signed a top starting right back and noone else. With injuries returning and youngsters coming through we have some squad developing!

I think we need to at least Loan in another CM for the season. Unless we're looking at JJ as more an option centrally than we have to date.

7 hours ago, Pongo Waring said:

More Morgan Rogers type signings please. No asbeens (Grealish, Abraham etc)

Jonathan Rowe is the one I want. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, abdulaziz1 said:

I think what our players experienced is much bigger than many, it grew their characters aswell.

McGinn (our captain) and Mings, they’ve been in a big turn around season in promotion, Luiz and Konsa almost relegated with us and all saw us through. Then Martinez matured with us until he won Argentina things they haven’t won for around 30 years. With Watkins improving his whole game. Then you got Bailey who was up and down until he beaten his non confidence to become a player every team fear. 
Both Kamara and Torres had CL experiences. 
Our captain promoted with the team, then fought not to relegate, then had a good team for Grealish to go and Gerrard to mess things up. 
Then he comes back stronger to lead the team back to Europe (in a season where we failed to even score well), many players matured through that journey. I guess character wise we’re one of the best. 
Even new players are getting that mentality, ofcourse Emery is helping much. 

I absolutely see what you're saying, but have doubts about the ability to convert to CL.

Bouba is our only midfielder with some CL/EL experience, the others do not and have played mainly in England. Imagine this:

Santiago Bernabeu, Wednesday night, 80'000 fans, atmosphere is hostile. 5th minute Bellingham through ball to Vinicius who ghosts past Cash and get's a shot on target saved by Emi.

Do you see any of our midfielders stepping up and taking control of the situation? Personally, I think they'd go missing. Deer in headlights scenario. I trust them in the prem, but we've seen what it's like vs Lille and Legia. Olympiakos away will be more of the same imo.

I think we need an CL-experienced CM/DM for these scenarios.

Edited by LxYoungAVFC
  • Like 2

I think we need a couple of players with CL experience, especially one in middle of the park and I think as the second striker that can pick locks and create

I think were an Odegarrd/De Bruyne type player away from being a top top side that can be in the mix for a top title........

the question is who?  do we spend big on a proven player of this mould, or do we go for a top young talent......... 

37 minutes ago, LxYoungAVFC said:

I absolutely see what you're saying, but have doubts about the ability to convert to CL.

Bouba is our only midfielder with some CL/EL experience, the others do not and have played mainly in England. Imagine this:

Santiago Bernabeu, Wednesday night, 80'000 fans, atmosphere is hostile. 5th minute Bellingham through ball to Vinicius who ghosts past Cash and get's a shot on target saved by Emi.

Do you see any of our midfielders stepping up and taking control of the situation? Personally, I think they'd go missing. Deer in headlights scenario. I trust them in the prem, but we've seen what it's like vs Lille and Legia. Olympiakos away will be more of the same imo.

I think we need an CL-experienced CM/DM for these scenarios.

Douglas Luiz has played twice at Camp Nou and once at the Bernabeu during his Girona days. Granted those games all went awful for his team but still.

3 hours ago, Nicho said:

Jonathan Rowe is the one I want. 

Not a Rogers-type signing because he'd cost far more.

Of course we want signings that fit right in and don't cost very much but they're very much the exception and not something that we should expect when we're shelling out relatively small amounts. 

On 20/04/2024 at 13:32, alreadyexists said:

Still think we should try for Ndidi in the summer, he’s a good player and Leicester need to sell. 

He's not good enough, no better than Dendoncker.  He'll end up a Fulham or Palace etc.

1 hour ago, Adbo9 said:

I think we need a couple of players with CL experience, especially one in middle of the park and I think as the second striker that can pick locks and create

I think were an Odegarrd/De Bruyne type player away from being a top top side that can be in the mix for a top title........

the question is who?  do we spend big on a proven player of this mould, or do we go for a top young talent......... 

Get Coutinho and Sanson back, problem solved.

18 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Not a Rogers-type signing because he'd cost far more.

Of course we want signings that fit right in and don't cost very much but they're very much the exception and not something that we should expect when we're shelling out relatively small amounts. 

Has a year left on his contract...

16 minutes ago, holtend4life said:

Has a year left on his contract...

That doesn't seem to matter that much these days.

Rogers cost 8m up front going to 15m. Rowe would be the bones of 30m, you'd imagine. 

10 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Rowe would be the bones of 30m, you'd imagine. 

If at all possible I much rather spend the extra money and trigger Nico Williams €50m release clause. Young English player tax is bonkers.

1 minute ago, sne said:

If at all possible I much rather spend the extra money and trigger Nico Williams €50m release clause. Young English player tax is bonkers.

It really depends on what we've got to work with come the summer. CL qualification could well be the difference between the two options. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Rogers cost 8m up front going to 15m. Rowe would be the bones of 30m, you'd imagine. 

Rogers was only 6 months into his contract.  

It depends on the player, if he's priced out of a move to a bigger club, he may be reluctant to extend his contract, meaning they could lose him for nothing.

Just now, lexicon said:

It really depends on what we've got to work with come the summer. CL qualification could well be the difference between the two options. 

Absolutely. He'd only make sense if we qualify for the CL.

• Like 1

Just now, duke313 said:

Rogers was only 6 months into his contract.  

It depends on the player, if he's priced out of a move to a bigger club, he may be reluctant to extend his contract, meaning they could lose him for nothing.

It also depends on the club selling and their particular situation. Norwich are more established as a club that doesn't sell their players on the cheap than Boro.

They might see Rowe as being a player to get them up again (if they don't manage it this season) and that would be more valuable than the 25m or whatever they'd get for him. 

Â