Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

57 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

I don’t know what you mean by big names (and judging by the likes you got I’m guessing everyone on here wants small names for some bizarre reason), if you’re saying we won’t be signing Mbappe and Jude Bellingham then yes we won’t be. If you’re saying we’ll only be signing players from the Championship or some obscure foreign league then that won’t be happening either. I don’t know what Sevilla has to do with anything, different project, different league, different club. We are competing with 7 top teams for a top 4 place and trophies, we have to be targeting some degree of proven quality with some project players like Rogers thrown in (more likely January signings).

Last summer we signed Tielemans, Torres and Diaby + Zaniolo and Lenglet on loan with Monchi here. Diaby and Torres in particular were pretty big names, unless you disagree. Tielemans was coming off a bad season with Leicester but had previously been regarded as one of the best midfielders in the league. Zaniolo and Lenglet weren’t nobodies.

I expect similar this summer, a couple of loans/frees for well known players in Europe and a couple of big money signings depending on how much money we have to spend.

I think it's the case that we won't be signing big names, as in current top regarded 20 to 30 players out there, but more that we sign talked about players who are on an upward trajectory and have the scope to grow further and improve. Which is the model for the majority of our last 25 signings. 

Big name players rarely work, Coutinho arguably our biggest named signing and possibly the one of the few you could consider a flop.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Zatman said:

Monchi isnt a big name transfer guy and people going be disappointed if expect that, even in Sevilla best days he still preferred plucking players from smaller leagues

Don’t mind where the players come from or how much they cost, if Monchi and Emery want them that’s good enough for me. However, I can’t suggest names of players I’ve never seen or heard of, so any that I do suggest will inevitably be ‘bigger’ names… 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, turvontour said:

I think it's the case that we won't be signing big names, as in current top regarded 20 to 30 players out there, but more that we sign talked about players who are on an upward trajectory and have the scope to grow further and improve. Which is the model for the majority of our last 25 signings. 

Big name players rarely work, Coutinho arguably our biggest named signing and possibly the one of the few you could consider a flop.

Yeah I’d generally agree with that, though I don’t think it’s that we won’t go for so called ‘big names’, more we won’t go for egos who are just after one last pay day, and it will be more how the player fits into the team’s structure than about the player themselves.

For example, it’s fairly obvious we were chasing Marco Asensio last summer before PSG nabbed him. I’d say he’s an example of a big name player at their peak who we wanted. I’d imagine Monchi and Emery knew him and he didn’t come with an ego, hence why they wanted him.

I don’t really care if it’s big names or not, as long as they improve our team which I trust Unai and Monchi to do, but we’re at a stage now where generally only the bigger name players who have done it in the biggest games on the biggest stages will improve us such is the quality of our team. I also want us to give Unai all the tools he needs, because he deserves it for getting so much out of the existing players.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BG_Villa_Fan said:

Could we? Can’t think of too many LBs from the premier league who have had a better season than him. 
20m is the price of a championship standout(if that) these days. 
I’d be perfectly happy with Digne and Moreno going into next season, with Chrisene and Sousa on loan.

Yea, you buy a foreign player 🫥

57 minutes ago, turvontour said:

They often don't work to the extent they need to for the fee/wage

2 hours ago, sne said:

Monchi has a history of going player hunting i France so wouldn't surprise me if we did again.

Of the 6 I suggested 4 were in france and the other two play for Feyenoord

2 hours ago, CVByrne said:

Lenglet was very similar to Pau in terms of his fbref stats, lots of progressive passes and carries, excellent passing etc. He was in 99th percentile at those when at Barcelona, then was very high in same stats at Spurs. That's not what Mings strengths were. 

Emery played Pau Mings Konsa Cash in pre season. What he was showing was his plans were Moreno or Cash can be the attacking FB and the other 3 CBs form the back 3 in possession. 

Another player that has similar stats to Pau is Mario Hermoso from Atletico who we've been linked with on a free transfer and is also left footed.

34 minutes ago, Pongo Waring said:

Carlos/Mings/Pau and Konsa is surely enough to start the season with in terms of Centrebacks. 

I suppose some of that depends on Mings’ recovery, we all hope he’ll come back as good as before but it was a hell of an injury to get and he’s 31, so there is the chance that he won’t be able to perform at this level anymore. We would all be gutted, I love Tyrone and he’s been associated with such an amazing part of our history, but I think as he progresses and recovers we’ll need to decide if a young CB protege is worth getting in this summer to avoid being short. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Pongo Waring said:

Carlos/Mings/Pau and Konsa is surely enough to start the season with in terms of Centrebacks. 

It depends on the full back situation as we often play 3 CBs at a time. So another would be ideal.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, duke313 said:

Another player that has similar stats to Pau is Mario Hermoso from Atletico who we've been linked with on a free transfer and is also left footed.

He's the perfect alternative option to Pau for our LCB of back 3 in build up. I think we will sign him. We love a free transfer and we can pay high wages.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Pongo Waring said:

Yes! As long as we have two full back either side who will play in the squad.

also similar to the left back position we should move on a older centre back it, it won’t be mings for the same reason as left back 

1 hour ago, paul514 said:

Yes! As long as we have two full back either side who will play in the squad.

also similar to the left back position we should move on a older centre back it, it won’t be mings for the same reason as left back 

We'll see what Emery goes with. I'd be surprised if we had 4 senior fullbacks and 4 center backs.

I think we'll have 5 CBs and 3 senior players who can play FB with Nedeljkovic as the additional youth player. 

I think Lenglet, Chambers and Digne leave. We sign a LCB and a FB 

24 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

We'll see what Emery goes with. I'd be surprised if we had 4 senior fullbacks and 4 center backs.

I think we'll have 5 CBs and 3 senior players who can play FB with Nedeljkovic as the additional youth player. 

I think Lenglet, Chambers and Digne leave. We sign a LCB and a FB 

Yea the new lad could be classed as a senior 

Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Cash is moved on too. 

While I agree in principle, even if we bought a RB, we would still only have that right back and cash.

I guess it's all down to whether emery thinks hayden or kosta ned are ready to be backup and compete for the position with the new RB.

Edited by MaVilla

Brighton and Brentford scouting Betis winger Assane Diao Wonder if we are too? Certanly been a cheaper option compared to Nico Williams (€20m difference in release clause) although at 18 with only 1 season in La Liga he'd be more of a project than the finished article. From the times I watched Betis this season he's looked really interesting even thou some of it has been sub appearances.

1 hour ago, sne said:

Brighton and Brentford scouting Betis winger Assane Diao Wonder if we are too? Certanly been a cheaper option compared to Nico Williams (€20m difference in release clause) although at 18 with only 1 season in La Liga he'd be more of a project than the finished article. From the times I watched Betis this season he's looked really interesting even thou some of it has been sub appearances.

Unless we are selling someone really surprising wingers and attacking midfielders / nunber 10s should be the last of our worries. Fullback and a younger centrehalf and another DM in my opinion.BUT my opinion counts for eff all.  Watch us buy 4 wingers now and win the league ! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Â